Offshore BFT so close to shore I couldn’t believe it!

Tuna Dreamer

Jul 14, 2019
San Diego
Name
Jim Berghauser
Boat
Na
Was on the Liberty full day boat out of Fishermans Landing 7/12. We were approximately 9 miles out from the south La Jolla Coast to Sunset Cliffs and killed it on 60lb grade tuna.

First stop turned into a drift that was 3+ hours long and put 28 BFT on the boat during the stop. Tuna were hitting only fly lined sardines on 40 and 50 pound Flurocarbon leaders. No takers on surface jigs, flatfall, knife jigs, or sinker rigs. The morning stop was accompanied by the Grande who was on the other side of the school upswell from us drifting the same school the entire time loading up as well.

Second stop we drifted on another school of 60-80lb biters that lasted another 3+ hours and saw as many tuna broken off as landed. Some guys got antsy and dropped down to 25 & 30 pound test but only one of those was landed after a long fight finished by deckhand Ryan.

As I said we were so close to shore that to give the deckhands time to filet the fish the captain put us in a circle pattern a mile or less off the PL lighthouse.

For sure a unique and crazy day of fishing in our backyard! Sorry I don’t have more photos. This is only a portion of the 50 BFT landed for the day.

2D1CEA23-509B-45BF-BFA4-22013182B8DC.jpeg

F3E4C8DF-1B7F-44D1-AE36-E9335C29BC26.jpeg

D4BD9E75-1263-4353-BE85-4EA24DC6318F.jpeg

Last edited:

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Wow crazy how close these fish are! Why didn't someone tell me 9 months ago this was going to happen... I may have reconsidered my "actions". Anyway 6 days left to D-day. And then I should be able to start planning a trip!

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2015
Oceanside
Name
Wacker
Boat
Trophy
Just as a side note, one time a few decades ago (3 or 4) we came across a major BFT boil just outside the kelp in Encinitas. Unfortunately a purse seiner came and scooped them all up, but the point is they do come in close. Maybe this is the year we get to see that again!!!

Tight lines everyone

Reactions: Mateo el Flaco
Upvote 0