ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    First of all, best crew ever with captain Mike loust and frank and deckhands Brad, Robert, and Jesse. They worked very hard during the entire time doing there best to put everyone on fish. New respect for these guys as the job is very demanding both physically and mentally.

Food was amazing as well, kept going back for seconds lol. Think I gained about 5 lbs from this trip.

Ended the 2.5 day with around 50 tuna for around 30 people on board,mostly bft ranging from 20 to 130 lbs. As far as I know we were fishing 40 miles west of ocean side area the first day where we caught 6 bft over 100lbs.

2nd day captain decided to go south and join the fleet fishing south of the coronado island. Grades were a little smaller but more fish and foamers.

Most fish came from flylining sardine 30/40 and even 50lb floro.

I caught my 100lber on flyline 30lb topshot on gf 800m with talica 8. By the time I got bit my spool was at half and the fish instantly took almost all my line (saw the backing tape through the thin layer of braid). Luckily, deckhand Brad and Robert saw me panicking and came to my aide right away and somehow managed to turn the bf's head. 30 minutes later, fish came to color and gaff. I literally was seconds away from being spooled but the deckhands saved my day as that was my only fish on day 1.

Day 2, hooked onto a 40lb yf tuna on the same setup, 30lb flyline. Alot more manageable. When we saw deep color, the fish started taking off like crazy. Again, deckhand came to my side immediately and took over. It was a sealion. Instantly we saw the sealion a 100 yards away with the yf tuna tail in its mouth, as if it was making fun of us all watching from the boat helplessly. Captain Mike came down and said don't worry, were gonna land this thing. He backed the boat towards the sealion and the deckhands were trying to scare it by hitting the water with the gaff. The sealion let go of the fish and Brad started to reel in as fast as he could. The fish was dead by this time and was just dead weight. Everyone cheered, but the sealion came back, and took another 100 yard run in a matter of seconds. The captain backed the boat again chasing down the sealion and finally landed this fish!

Lost several other fish due to line being chewed off, etc..managed to finish the trip with a 100lb bft and 40lb yft.

I will never forget how hard these guys worked to help land your fish.

I will definitely fish this boat again just for the crew. Highly recommend it.

20210708_142530.jpg

20210707_185147.jpg

ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    First of all, best crew ever with captain Mike loust and frank and deckhands Brad, Robert, and Jesse. They worked very hard during the entire time doing there best to put everyone on fish. New respect for these guys as the job is very demanding both physically and mentally.

Food was amazing as well, kept going back for seconds lol. Think I gained about 5 lbs from this trip.

Ended the 2.5 day with around 50 tuna for around 30 people on board,mostly bft ranging from 20 to 130 lbs. As far as I know we were fishing 40 miles west of ocean side area the first day where we caught 6 bft over 100lbs.

2nd day captain decided to go south and join the fleet fishing south of the coronado island. Grades were a little smaller but more fish and foamers.

I caught my 100lber on flyline 30lb topshot on gf 800m with talica 8. By the time I got bit my spool was at half and the fish instantly took almost all my line (saw the backing tape through the thin layer of braid). Luckily, deckhand Brad and Robert saw me panicking and came to my aide right away and somehow managed to turn the bf's head. 30 minutes later, fish came to color and gaff. I literally was seconds away from being spooled but the deckhands saved my day as that was my only fish on day 1.

Day 2, hooked onto a 40lb yf tuna on the same setup, 30lb flyline. Alot more manageable. When we saw deep color, the fish started taking off like crazy. Again, deckhand came to my side immediately and took over. It was a sealion. Instantly we saw the sealion a 100 yards away with the yf tuna tail in its mouth, as if it was making fun of us all watching from the boat helplessly. Captain Mike came down and said don't worry, were gonna land this thing. He backed the boat towards the sealion and the deckhands were trying to scare it by hitting the water with the gaff. The sealion let go of the fish and Brad started to reel in as fast as he could. The fish was dead by this time and was just dead weight. Everyone cheered, but the sealion came back, and took another 100 yard run in a matter of seconds. The captain backed the boat again chasing down the sealion and finally landed this fish!

Lost several other fish due to line being chewed off, etc..managed to finish the trip with a 100lb bft and 40lb yft.

View attachment 1297717

View attachment 1297718

20210707_185714.jpg

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Great Job! Nice Fish! Yes Captain Mike works everyone hard and is a Super Fishy Dude! Caught my PB on Tomahawk 6-weeks ago 185# on a jig

Reactions: ysmoose
    Upvote 0

Titan

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV and San Diego
    Name
    Kamen
    Boat
    Mikelson 43 SF
    What an amazing difference a captain makes! I was on the previous trip, July 4-6. 3 fish for 30 anglers. The cook was no show. The captain couldn't decide whether to run south or west.

Upvote 0

ysmoose

Light weight baby!
  • Apr 17, 2013
    Brea
    Name
    grant
    Boat
    Parker 1801
    Great write-up and really nice grade fish you landed ysmoose. By chance do you recall how the deckhand turned the head of your BFT? Change directions like walking up the side or applied a lot more

Great write-up and really nice grade fish you landed ysmoose. By chance do you recall how the deckhand turned the head of your BFT? Change directions like walking up the side or applied a lot more pressure? Again, congrats.

Thanks, yeah the deckhand pushed the drag to maximum and put the rod against the rail at 90 degrees and in a few seconds the fish stopped running like magic, couldn't believe it lol.

Upvote 0

Rmpsocal

Almost A Member
    Jan 12, 2016
    San Pedro
    Name
    Rich P.
    Boat
    None
    I caught my PB on the Polaris Supreme in May at 112# on a Talica 12 and 50#. I was going to say the same thing…”I wouldn’t recommend it!”. LOL

Congrats.

Upvote 0

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    None

View attachment 1297717

View attachment 1297718

View attachment 1297717

View attachment 1297718
    Tomahawk good!

Upvote 0