BFT ON 5/23/20 (PB)

Highwayman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
I finally was able to get out after the BFT everyone is posting photos of and sharing coordinates where they were found. The Yummy Flyer was trolled for a while without any luck so we flew a flying fish and that was where we found success. Initially a 130 lb. (a guess) BFT that somehow was lost. Towards the end of the day another BFT hit the flying fish when I thought we were going to get skunked. The fish definitely felt larger than anything I had pulled on and about an hour and a half later an approx. 230 lb’er came over the rail.

782B86CB-30CD-4643-8139-E8B3B818B9A4.jpeg

7B7FC08A-5E7E-4548-945F-B647756D2714.jpeg

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Nice work way to stick it out! The explosion these beasts make when they slam the bait....dreams!
congrats!

Highwayman

Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
Congrats on the large Blue bomber, that is a hell of first fish!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks it was actually my first in the 200 lb category

Reactions: woodfish330

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
way to get it done, I'm happy for you. Thanks for the report

Fisherwisher

Dec 9, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Tom
Boat
18 foot, Boston Whaler, Fisherwisher
Curious, Why are your engines up? I m guessing there is something to learn here.
Congrates on the very nice fish

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Hell yeah, great job.

Highwayman

Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
Curious, Why are your engines up? I m guessing there is something to learn here.
Congrates on the very nice fish
The fish was in close and making big circles near the boat. Sometimes the circles were near the rear of the boat. We either pulled the motor up or moved to a better position depending on the circumstances. The gaff was in the rod holder to keep the fish from dragging the rod to the back of the boat while we tried to winch him up. In that photo the fish was close. It seemed to hang at 120 to 90 feet forever.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Epic brother! Great story. Great fish. You know.....do whatever it takes to get them in. Next time your stuck in the deep "spiral"....try this trick.... but be ready...seriously.

With the fish under pressure..... not reeling or losing line..... "twang" the line, between you and the fish. Between the reel and first guide works. Like a guitar string....adding and decreasing pressure on the fish....slightly. This changes the pitch or vibration sent down that same line.... through the hook....All the way to the fishes jaw.

BE READY...because.they absolutely hate it! When you find the right amount of rod pressure ... ie "pull" .... and "twang" that main line, that fish is gonna come up..... go down.... run like hell!!!!

You guys should try it..... its deadly! The fish seems to lose all common sense... momentarily. Many times that's much easier than get 5 cranks....give 5 cranks stalemate. You know every minute your connected to that fish.... your odds are going down.

This is probably one of the best "angling tricks" I've ever seen. The cool thing..... it works on all tough fish..... When your in a epic "stalemate". "Old School style". Put this in your book....you'll be glad you did brother!

Be safe out there.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I finally was able to get out after the BFT everyone is posting photos of and sharing coordinates where they were found. The Yummy Flyer was trolled for a while without any luck so we flew a flying fish and that was where we found success. Initially a 130 lb. (a guess) BFT that somehow was lost. Towards the end of the day another BFT hit the flying fish when I thought we were going to get skunked. The fish definitely felt larger than anything I had pulled on and about an hour and a half later an approx. 230 lb’er came over the rail.

View attachment 1148462

View attachment 1148463
Nice fish, It looks like the swells were on the high side!

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
very nice.....