hotrail20

COW HUNTERS
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
Congrats Ron that weather yesterday was too good for BF fishing almost no wind lots of puddlers in your zone, thanks for the numbers call yesterday. We managed a few YT and 1 YF late in day. Your fish is biggest I saw or heard of yesterday once again nice fish

16glaspar

Nov 15, 2008
Lemon grove ca
Name
Rick
Boat
16' Glaspar Citation
Epic! We heard the chatter over the radio. Joined in, lots of meter marks. Most hovering over large bait masses. worked the area. We fly lined w/wo sinkers, surface lures, dead falls, yoyo jigs, finally got a bite trolling large tuna jigs on the drop, only to come unbuttoned. Beautiful day on the water though! Congrats.

jdmanowar

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 29, 2009
so cal
Name
jason
Boat
none yet
That's FIN FREAKING TASTIC!!! Great job on the solo run! If you ever want a fishing buddy to come along, hit me up...I pay my share:jig:

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
Definitely an unlucky fish x 2.

First SNAFU was when I had the fish at color the first time and he was tail wrapped. It started thrashing around and righted itself - I can't tell you how many fish I've lost when that's happened.

Second SNAFU, after I finally got the fish into the boat, the hook literally fell out of it's mouth. One more run and that fish would have been swimming with his buddies this morning with a great story to tell.

Moral to the story, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...

hooks.jpg

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Definitely an unlucky fish x 2.

First SNAFU was when I had the fish at color the first time and he was tail wrapped. It started thrashing around and righted itself - I can't tell you how many fish I've lost when that's happened.

Second SNAFU, after I finally got the fish into the boat, the hook literally fell out of it's mouth. One more run and that fish would have been swimming with his buddies this morning with a great story to tell.

Moral to the story, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...

View attachment 1162153
Is that a Mustad Demon?

Straightening out on 30lb is not good.

Reactions: Olddog8

jughead

Jun 10, 2006
Alpine
Name
John
Boat
24 Seaswirl striper
Hey Ron, way to challenge yourself by not paying attention!! Congratulations on an awesome Bluefin...what a thrill!!!!! You have a killer boat! Can you tell us what reel and rod you were using? Was that a 2/0 hook? Thanks for the pics.. love your Simrad what model is that.

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
Is that a Mustad Demon?
Yes. The hooks are cool because they are pretty light and have an open throat. The downside is they are kind of weak. Last summer on my buddy's Robert's boat, I hooked a BFT that was about the same size as the one yesterday - on the same exact rod/setup, and finally after about an hour got the fish up under the boat and bamm, he's off. I figured I pulled the hook, but the tip of the hook actually broke off and sayonara...

Can you tell us what reel and rod you were using? love your Simrad what model is that.
Calstar GFDH-800-M and Avet MXL 6/4. NSS12 Evo3.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Damn that's a nice one!

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
For every 50 fish like your size I bet 2-3 are landed on 30#; we were victim #49 on a 180# BFT after 90 minutes yesterday 5 miles below your numbers. Saw a lot of fish yesterday to the west but they didn't want the flyer or yummy, and its tough to sit soaking up to 4-6 hours waiting for that one bite.

Hell of a job Ron solo!

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
that jag on the meter....

tunacity

Jun 21, 2003
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
Parker 2110
wow great job Ron pretty awesome by yourself and on 30lb geez

Whalerboat

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 8, 2009
San Diego
Name
Skippy
Boat
22 Whaler Outrage
Lots of big tuna blowing up this morning at greylight. They were up top putting on a pretty good display when I slid into one at 22 over 48.

The fishfinder lit up. Not paying attention, I grabbed a 30# stick and flylined a bait and stuck the rod in the rod holder. I pinned a dean on my 60# sinker rig and was dropping it down into the zone when the rod went off in the rod holder.

By the time I got the 60# back in the boat, there was less than 100 yards of Spectra left on the reel with the fish on it.

I grabbed the rod and put the boat in gear and followed the fish. A little over an hour later I stuck two gaffs into the butterball and pulled it into the boat (not an easy thing to do solo).

The fish ended up weighing 123# at the Marlin Club's scale.

Also picked up a set of yellowtail off a kelp (thanks for the call in Cody) to round out the morning.

Great weather and flat seas today. Go get 'em boys!

View attachment 1162052

View attachment 1162053

View attachment 1162054