uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
So after a year of getting jerked around by a boatyard on my whaler, I moved it up to Jeff Hull's amazing yard in Ventura. In order to not miss the season, I picked up a little 21' parker as an interim boat. Being that the seller wasn't very forthcoming about a few things I had to repower it as well a few weeks ago which was a feat in this lack of outboard climate. SOOOOOO CUT TO me haulin ass outta MDR to find tuna. First trip went to the channel behind cat and poked around for a bit then found foamer after foamer. I threw everything in the boat at them and no takers.

Sunday eve i decided to try again and left early afternoon headed southeast off of east end of cat. Thx to the awesome guys at fishdope i was on them in minutes after getting to the zone. It was legit nat geo stuff, they boiled around my boat forever. Fed them sardines, snipers, poppers, rapalas, everything. Nada. I know it's a numbers game but solo missions with spotting, runnin and gunnin and getting off good casts is a motherf#$ker! I'll try again once the tears dry . . . . maybe one of my dumb friends will jump in for a free boat ride next time

51340745910_c860277cbf_c.jpg

Last edited:
djd35de
djd35de
Ahh, don't feel too bad. Iam 0-2 also. That includes a overnight trip that had the whole boat go 0-25! Not even a small yelowtail NADA!!! lol

My friend brought a kite and two real flying fish. We were in the zone but no knock downs. That was like two weeks ago at around the 182 or there about.

I forgot Iam 0-3 last year .
Upvote 0
bazzturd
bazzturd
0 for 6 here. Only three legit attempts, others were cruising with kids. I'm not really a tuna guy, but I now have a serious problem second to my addi tive personality. Question, I'm guessing you don't have a kite, balloon and flyers?
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    It's okay....It's okay. Sometimes they go your way....others...its like MURPHY is in your family. Just figure your "due" for sure. Have read post of guys secretly doing well with the looooong cedar plug or baby jet head troll. Other than that... just keep "pluggin" brother. Thanks for sharing ...nice post.

Robert c. Sample

Almost A Member
    Feb 11, 2019
    Snowflake arizona
    Name
    Robert sample
    Boat
    Reel rage
    So after a year of getting jerked around by a boatyard on my whaler, I moved it up to Jeff Hull's amazing yard in Ventura. In order to not miss the season, I picked up a little 21' parker as an interim boat. Being that the seller wasn't very forthcoming about a few things I had to repower it as well a few weeks ago which was a feat in this lack of outboard climate. SOOOOOO CUT TO me haulin ass outta MDR to find tuna. First trip went to the channel behind cat and poked around for a bit then found foamer after foamer. I threw everything in the boat at them and no takers.

Sunday eve i decided to try again and left early afternoon headed southeast off of east end of cat. Thx to the awesome guys at fishdope i was on them in minutes after getting to the zone. It was legit nat geo stuff, they boiled around my boat forever. Fed them sardines, snipers, poppers, rapalas, everything. Nada. I know it's a numbers game but solo missions with spotting, runnin and gunnin and getting off good casts is a motherf#$ker! I'll try again once the tears dry . . . . maybe one of my dumb friends will jump in for a free boat ride next time

51340745910_c860277cbf_c.jpg
    Baja marine good service ask for Jesus. Long beach san pedro area.

Upvote 0
    Jun 2, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Neil
    Boat
    2008 Striper
    Definitely not alone here and can be frustrating for sure. I watched a video yesterday of two dudes on 15ft skiff down in Delmar. Hooking up with surface irons left and right. Wife asked why I was shaking my head.
    I also think I have the same dumb ass friends. Begg me to go but when I need a second person they have plans.

Upvote 0

91mar709

Jun 16, 2010
    San Carlos, Mexico
    Thank you for the report...you were able to get the poppers right on top of them and no bite? Are you fishing on a center console? thx

Last edited:
    uglyducky
    uglyducky
    Sport cabin Parker. I was on the bow throwing right in their mouths. lol
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Drew Stephens
    Boat
    Sunbird Neptune 230
    Sorry to hear about the boat problems. Been dealing with that all year. Luckily my shop had a brand new Yamaha 200 for me! Getting put on next week! I’m dying with all these tuna reports. I’d much rather be getting skunked than be on the couch!

Upvote 0

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    Definitely not alone here and can be frustrating for sure. I watched a video yesterday of two dudes on 15ft skiff down in Delmar. Hooking up with surface irons left and right. Wife asked why I was shaking my head.
    I also think I have the same dumb ass friends. Begg me to go but when I need a second person they have plans.
    No one will understand how frustrating that is!

W
    woodfish330
    .....Pissed off.... I would just go solo like you. In the day..... no cell phones. So you just waited.... and waited..... and waited. For some guys 4 AM is 6:30 everytime. So... my rule... 30 minutes thats all. Dont even show up if its gonna be 31 minutes....lol.
    Upvote 0

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    AT least your finding the foamers! been out 3 times since the craze and didnt find a guppy. Even paid for Fishdope and it has not helped me yet.
    Pay attention to the conditions they’re being found in and the “zone” they are likely patrolling/following bait in. It’s interesting stuff and there are lots of clues where they’ll be if you can start to read that info.

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    No one will understand how frustrating that is!
    woodfish330
    ...".Pissed off.... I would just go solo like you. In the day..... no cell phones. So you just waited.... and waited..... and waited. For some guys 4 AM is 6:30 everytime. So... my rule... 30 minutes thats all. Dont even show up if its gonna be 31 minutes....lol."

I am asked all the time why I don't wait for someone to go with me instead of going alone..... the answer is, " I don't have enough time left to waste it waiting for other people".

Dam you put up with a lot of shit. When I go on someone else's boat I am always early, if you aren't early then your late. I clean the entire boat by myself on the way in and again with fresh water when we get back, and always pay my fair share. Why shouldn't I be able to expect the same?
    If I say be at my house by 4;30 that means I am leaving at 4:31, same if I say I'll meet you at the dock at 4:30. I am loaded up and ready to go, everything works and there is no... I have to stop and get gas or drinks or food or any other fucking bullshit.... that is done the night before, we are on fishing time now. If I can do all the shit to the boat, have it gassed and ready to go, and I still have to do everything they have to do to go... then there is no reason that they can't do it and be on time. You show up five min. late and the only thing there will be the smell of my exhaust. People should be so happy to go and only have to pay for half the gas and bait. The only thing cheap with boats is the people who go with you when it is time to pay for it. rant over

Upvote 0

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    woodfish330
    ...".Pissed off.... I would just go solo like you. In the day..... no cell phones. So you just waited.... and waited..... and waited. For some guys 4 AM is 6:30 everytime. So... my rule... 30 minutes thats all. Dont even show up if its gonna be 31 minutes....lol."

I am asked all the time why I don't wait for someone to go with me instead of going alone..... the answer is, " I don't have enough time left to waste it waiting for other people".

Dam you put up with a lot of shit. When I go on someone else's boat I am always early, if you aren't early then your late. I clean the entire boat by myself on the way in and again with fresh water when we get back, and always pay my fair share. Why shouldn't I be able to expect the same?
    If I say be at my house by 4;30 that means I am leaving at 4:31, same if I say I'll meet you at the dock at 4:30. I am loaded up and ready to go, everything works and there is no... I have to stop and get gas or drinks or food or any other fucking bullshit.... that is done the night before, we are on fishing time now. If I can do all the shit to the boat, have it gassed and ready to go, and I still have to do everything they have to do to go... then there is no reason that they can't do it and be on time. You show up five min. late and the only thing there will be the smell of my exhaust. People should be so happy to go and only have to pay for half the gas and bait. The only thing cheap with boats is the people who go with you when it is time to pay for it. rant over
    Hahhahahaha. I had a buddy stare at me at the fuel dock when he saw the fill up bill. It was our third trip and I never asked him to throw in. I just said “they take cards or cash, I’ll be in the boat”

fuckin people sometimes man.

Upvote 0

bajachild

Almost A Member
  • Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    2019 Montauk 170
    I put about 250 miles in my 17’er over 2.5 days in SD and DP. Sniffed them a lot but no takers. Finally had an epic couple of days in SD. I figured out how to approach them. Got 3 one day and 2 another. Time and effort. Same thing I tell my students. It’ll happen.

Reactions: uglyducky
    Upvote 0

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    I put about 250 miles in my 17’er over 2.5 days in SD and DP. Sniffed them a lot but no takers. Finally had an epic couple of days in SD. I figured out how to approach them. Got 3 one day and 2 another. Time and effort. Same thing I tell my students. It’ll happen.
    What was working for you? I try to “lead” them and shut down in front of where they are heading. Got it right a few times but still no love.

Upvote 0

bajachild

Almost A Member
  • Jul 13, 2005
    so. cal
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    2019 Montauk 170
    What was working for you? I try to “lead” them and shut down in front of where they are heading. Got it right a few times but still no love.
    Get ahead and to the side of them. Poppers for all but one. It helped there were tons of boils all over. Saw single terns dipping, too, when it was slower. Got hit by sub-surface feeders cruising through. The terms were following them. Placement and patience.

Reactions: uglyducky
    Upvote 0