MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Fisheries management is inherently political, and what most people don't realize is that the industrial commercial fishermen (in other words, seiners) co-opt the sport fishermen and rod-and-reel sustainable commercial guys for their political gain. In Sacramento and elsewhere, fishermen all get lumped in together, and it's those with the centralized profit interest that drive the anti-regulation discussion. We need to decouple sport fishing from industrial sea raping, and recognize that there are sustainable ways to harvest fish if we clean up the culling (make it all hook and line) and distribution (no more low-value use of high-value fish for things life cat or livestock food). With direct-to-restaurant models we've seen evolve with the "new" bluefin fishery since 2013, there is certainly a way to protect the culture of sportfishing and the sustainable commercial guys, but only if we become the loudest opponents to the industrial commercial knuckleheads.

Blind Luck

Almost A Member
  • Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    My biggest fear for bluefin is Mitsubishi
    Google their football field size freezers

20210422_155441.jpg

Jedfish

Mar 26, 2021
    Sandiego
    Name
    Jed
    Boat
    Someone else’s
    I have not targeted BFT personally and prefer to go long for YFT. Guess I would kill one if that is the target fish of the day. Happy for those that made a quest and successfully brought one to gaff. Money was the driving force in my day and any rumor of bluefin had the purse seiners on the schools the next day. Maybe the feed lot bluefin changed the focus to grow quality fish in a pen. In any case a cow BFT is at the travel/spawn age to make travel. Would be great to see the really big fish spawn here.
    They don’t spawn here dude. Japan

Bill W
    Bill W
    I know dude, that is why I said the age to make travel. But thanks for your input.

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    Everything runs in cycles, enjoy what's here now because it will change with time. If you are concerned about your kids fishing in the future worry about access not fish stocks because current trends will stop you from fishing anywhere.

Awesome...another couple years I won't need ANOTHER few thousand in special hi dollar gear to catch these fish as I'm old and they won't be back in my lifetime. Here's me holding my breath...

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
    Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Rocket Dog
    Boat
    passenger again
    I'm still waiting on getting one, so it's really relative to personal experience and how many trips you get to go on each year. I will take a any big fish, though I am sure I will feel a little guilty once I have a few under my belt.

Reactions: Arima-bob