woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    So brothers.... after the cyclic rise and fall of the Bluefin fishery in our local waters over the past 100 years, how does the continued "taking" of "cows and super cows" effect the long term Bluefin numbers for future generations of West Coast anglers?

Considering that fish of this size are truly major contributors to the local BFT bio mass... would we better off limiting the take size (slot limits) for BFT / YFT / BET??

Have you ever "purposely" released "cow or super cow" sized tuna? Why? Do you think each of us has a stake in this wonderful tuna fishery here off the southern West Coast? What are you willing to "sacrifice" for a robust and continued sustainable Tuna fishery for our kids and future West Coast anglers? Do you REALLY need another picture of a large dead fish.... to "hearld" your angling skills? If so.... thats up to you. If all of your fishing buddies were there... and saw you "whupped that fishes ass" is the picture / accolades...that important to you as an angler? Should it be?

After being absent (BFT) for decades here.... could each of us.... my BD Brothers... do our best to ensure these fish are here for our kids to catch? Would it make a difference? How about To you personally?

Just wondering what this great bunch of anglers thought about these topics. Good bad or ugly....I want to know. AND NO.... its not political... so please refrain from your "red" and "blue" comments.

Yes.... I have killed ridiculous numbers of tuna through the decades.... so don't even ask? We're the same you and I....and I just want to know your opinion going forward....either way. Good luck out their brothers....

J
    Jlmuncie
    Cow size tuna have already reached maturity and spawned so taking them isn't really going to effect the fishery in a negative way. If anything it would be the taking of small, immature fish that haven't had a chance to spawn that would be a negative.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    My personal best is a whopping 46 pounds, and no I did not release it!

Other than that, I am not qualified to answer any questions on cow bluefin! :D

"I don't know"
    -- Jeff Spicoli

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    I would support an annual limit of large BFT as well as daily limits on small fish. Two reasons: First, how many people really need more than one or two cows per season? Even when processed well, I suspect that much of it gets freezer burn and is tossed out. Second, living in Alaska, I am well aware what intense fishing does to fish stocks. Much of that fishing is commercial, of course, and tuna have very different life cycles than the fish we catch in Alaska but we need to be careful.

acefuture

@acecraftco
    Apr 3, 2019
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Ace
    Boat
    Always changing
    Next time i'll throw it back and then i'll go to the grocery store and buy "sustainably sourced, cruelty free, local caught, grass fed, non gmo, massaged daily, no color added Tuna"....

I think if guys are feeding their families off of these trophy fish in our waters, it's less people going to buy the trash they sell at grocery stores.

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    So brothers.... after the cyclic rise and fall of the Bluefin fishery in our local waters over the past 100 years, how does the continued "taking" of "cows and super cows" effect the long term Bluefin numbers for future generations of West Coast anglers?

Considering that fish of this size are truly major contributors to the local BFT bio mass... would we better off limiting the take size (slot limits) for BFT / YFT / BET??

Have you ever "purposely" released "cow or super cow" sized tuna? Why? Do you think each of us has a stake in this wonderful tuna fishery here off the southern West Coast? What are you willing to "sacrifice" for a robust and continued sustainable Tuna fishery for our kids and future West Coast anglers? Do you REALLY need another picture of a large dead fish.... to "hearld" your angling skills? If so.... thats up to you. If all of your fishing buddies were there... and saw you "whupped that fishes ass" is the picture / accolades...that important to you as an angler? Should it be?

After being absent (BFT) for decades here.... could each of us.... my BD Brothers... do our best to ensure these fish are here for our kids to catch? Would it make a difference? How about To you personally?

Just wondering what this great bunch of anglers thought about these topics. Good bad or ugly....I want to know. AND NO.... its not political... so please refrain from your "red" and "blue" comments.

Yes.... I have killed ridiculous numbers of tuna through the decades.... so don't even ask? We're the same you and I....and I just want to know your opinion going forward....either way. Good luck out their brothers....
    All of the local bluefin are juveniles, they do not breed here. They breed off japan, which is not very smart of them. So what kind of slot limit would you suggest? It would make no difference.

Colonel Kurtz

The Horror
    Apr 30, 2019
    La Jolla, CA
    Name
    Walter E. Kurtz
    Boat
    Death From Above
    Sportfishing and small-time commercial operations probably have very little effect on the BFT stock. I think the bigger factor at play is the new-ish commercial seiner quota that was put into play in 2013/14 for Mexico/CA. It seems as though the volume we've seen up here since then has increased significantly, I'm guessing partly because that shit isn't just getting buttfucked by seiners all season (example: the commercial seiners hit their quotas in January of this year). Also, you can see the stock has been on an uptick here (source: NOAA fisheries):
    BFTstock.png

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    "I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
    In the words of Dave Hanson “your not going to significantly impact the fish population with a rod and reel, your just not that good” haha

but seriously I think the fishery has been managed well(lately) and the fish are adapting to the global environment they live in, mainly overfishing in the eastern pacific. When you find a school of jumbos and catch 2 a piece, even on a loaded sportie that’s only 40-50 fish, the regs, mainly on local species, need to be more fluid and change with the cycles that the ocean goes through but more importantly the commercial regs and environmental disasters (like barrels of poison laying on the bottom) are much more critical factors than how many sport caught fish are killed. My 2 cents for the jar, other opinions welcome.

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Take what you can use and release the rest! If your freezer is full, obviously you don't need anymore, even if you are below limits. Enjoy the sport and the feat accomplished. Don't worry about boat counts. If the boats are printing number of "calicos released", they sure can print number of tuna's or any other game fish as "released."

ernie_kru

Dec 21, 2011
    AV
    Name
    Ernie
    Boat
    n/a
    I would not discount at all the effect of sportfishing harvest numbers of BFT. On the sport boats that report daily numbers, 25621 BFT were harvested (per that other fishy site). Only you can guess the average size, but at 50lb average thats 640 tons.

That obviously doesn't include any private boats or smaller sport boat/charter operations which would make that number larger.

640 tons is a lot of fish.

Personally, I think a large BFT tag system would be the best conservation route. There are more than a few who are getting dialed in on the big boys and harvesting 20+ per year.

Nov 19, 2012
    Camarillo
    Name
    Luke Hoffmann
    Boat
    none
    Sportfishing and small-time commercial operations probably have very little effect on the BFT stock. I think the bigger factor at play is the new-ish commercial seiner quota that was put into play in 2013/14 for Mexico/CA. It seems as though the volume we've seen up here since then has increased significantly, I'm guessing partly because that shit isn't just getting buttfucked by seiners all season (example: the commercial seiners hit their quotas in January of this year). Also, you can see the stock has been on an uptick here (source: NOAA fisheries):
    View attachment 1273520
    maybe if I was fishing in 1960 I might actually be able to catch some BFT

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'

Your post makes a lot of assumptions, what assurance do you have that in the year 2021 if we never catch another tuna they will be around for your grand children.
    It is widely accepted that sportfishing as no long term negative effect on tuna stock.

Redline

WFO
    Oct 10, 2007
    Whittier
    Name
    DK
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    The Bluefin aren't here because some fishery management and they might not be here for our kids in the the future because of any management. It is cyclic. Rod and reelers aren't going to put a dent into a pelagic specie. Don't waste fish. If you want to release a particularly large tuna, or any fish, go ahead. Bluefins grow pretty fast. A 3-5 year old fish can weigh up to 120lbs. The 2 fish limit is fair and is pretty much never reached by a majority of the people who try for them. So, no, we don't need an annual limit or more regulation for these fish.

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Shouldn’t we talk about the seiners turning 100s of tons of bluefin into cat food before we talk about rod a reel fisherman killing to much bluefin?
    I've heard this being tossed around. Is this really what they're doing with it? I do think that the seiners have a big impact, just not sure on the cat food motive. Plenty of people want that protein, too.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    View attachment 1273520

Nice chart! What changed in 1990 to cause the spike?

Tar Pit

• Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Local SD skipper reported last week on 976 that he was seeing the largest schools of bluefin he had ever seen. Looks like the bluefin fishery is getting better.

Reactions: wahoo_92606

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Brotha. There's so many cows in our fishery we're not even doing much. Most giant BFT are living down in 200 meters of water. Where the food and water cycles are different. What we little anglers are doing, scratches their tails. We have pacific BF up in the 700-1k lb range that we never see . And if we ever get bit buy one poof our line is gone. The fact we are taking boat rides to go and fill our freezers with 20-40lb BFT is where it hurts, it's taking from the stock at the worst possible time. I personally have released many if not all my small BFT over the last 3 years. All but 1 that got a treble to the gills. Getting people on big boys is fun. From years of fishing the ratio of landed vs broken off or "lost" is pretty good. I understand the question of why keep taking more cows if your freezer is filled. And personly I don't know why individuals do this. (As I have dock neighbor who took 4 cows and a half dozen 150lbs home last year who didn't care about the photo and complains about not being able to give it away fast enough. As he prepares for this season). So I get your question. But the stock of BF has risen! Quite significantly. I know "SCIENCE". But science doesn't know shit. Since science is just theories backed up by facts. And the truth is we're just know figuring our actual facts. The ocean is big and the waters deep. Why are albacore caught 1000 miles from the coast? What's happening at mile 547? Down at 120' we don't know KNOWBODY DOES. Only the big Man upstaires does. And He has the ability to restock our oceans in a single moment. I think do to our conservative actions already we're on the right track. Especially how Japan is now eating more farm raised BF then ever. Even now they've got so much farm raised BF there starting to export it. You should check out what we almost did to the pacific bonito back in the day🤦‍♂️. (We almost lost it) Take a look at what we're doing to sharks or dolphins.. that's crazy stuff right there. But I hear you on the questioning I get it. And thank you for a good read and wasting to much time typing my opinion that really doesn't matter! Cheers brotha! Good question I'm looking forward to reading everyone else's answers. Popcorn here we come. Wheres the butter?

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    If I remember correctly, the science says “4 years, 40 lbs.” that’s when they “believe “ bluefin have matured enough to breed and have done so. Although, I did read another article where the testing on a 90lb female showed she had not breed. How they can tell that from testing the hormones in their heads, that I don’t know.
    I do believe though that with the rate of consumption by these fish, what is it?? 20% of body weight a day? They grow pretty quickly. As we’ve seen Over the last 6 years or so, the fish being caught are just getting larger by the season/day. Proof... well, there wasn’t super cows being caught locally say 4 years ago, and the amount of cows being caught has doubled easily.
    I received said information from a scientist on an over night trip a few years ago who works for DFW and was on board to monitor what we were catching.

Reactions: SMYLEE

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    If I remember correctly, the science says “4 years, 40 lbs.” that’s when they “believe “ bluefin have matured enough to breed and have done so. Although, I did read another article where the testing on a 90lb female showed she had not breed. How they can tell that from testing the hormones in their heads, that I don’t know.
    I do believe though that with the rate of consumption by these fish, what is it?? 20% of body weight a day? They grow pretty quickly. As we’ve seen Over the last 6 years or so, the fish being caught are just getting larger by the season/day. Proof... well, there wasn’t super cows being caught locally say 4 years ago, and the amount of cows being caught has doubled easily.
    I received said information from a scientist on an over night trip a few years ago who works for DFW and was on board to monitor what we were catching.
    For Yellowfin you might be right. Bluefin mature somewhere between 200 and 400 lbs. That is why we see so few 400 lbers. They have headed west to breed.

Reactions: mogambosquid

TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
    Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Ray
    Boat
    Bayrunner Baja 21 "Rough Rider"
    Yeah, I wanna know how our recreational fishing numbers compare to commercial fishing numbers. It seems like us releasing a small amount of cows compared to the commercial guys kinda seems like a drop in the bucket kind of thing.

Reactions: makairaa

Latest posts