Superfecta

Superfecta
Oct 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Name
Matt
Boat
33 Grady White, Papa Says
I have made some long runs for nada and today worked out. The wind was predicted to come up in the afternoon and it was spot on.

We left Newport Harbor at 5am. Got 2 scoops of bait, tried to make mackerel but couldnt really, so decided to make the run starting around 6am. Headed to about 6 miles south of pyramid head on the ridge and got there around 8am.

Saw a kelp patty and first bait gets picked up and it was a dorado. There were definitely more on the patty, but they got lock jaw after we caught the first one. Then headed west towards the 381 and kept seeing patties. So we stopped and picked up yellowtails. We caught 4 but only kept 2. Then we decided to keep going to the 381 to look for tuna. About 3 miles shy we saw a lot of tuna busting on bait. Really mixed grade. So we run and gunned it initially and got a hook up on a popper, but lost quickly. I couldnt tell if there were the big boys mixed in or not. So we started flying the kite. But got nothing and I got talked back into running and gunning. So down comes the kite... We find a busting spot of fish and 2 of the boys cast poppers and both hook up. One landed a 35lb and the other seemed around 80lb. The 35lb was on a stella 8000 and terex combo and the 80lb was on a tranx 500 on a 9ft calstar. I mention the gear, because after reading reports, I picked up some gear that could cast but also had some back bone. They both did great.

The water temp was 72 on the ridge. As we moved west it dipped to 69. The yellowtail and dorado were in the warmer water. Tuna in the colder. High tide was at 3pm but the fish were showing around noon, so I couldnt find any reason they were breaking. Wind started to come up at 1pm and seem to push the fish down. We headed back and thank god we did. It got rough.

Great day.

July 26 FIsh.jpg

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Great report guys! You killed it.
Looks to me your the fishemen we all want to be.
Keep postin and fishing!

Upvote 0

rhgusman

Salty Dog
Sep 9, 2012
CA
Name
Rob
Boat
A Salt Weapon
well done! Stoked for your boys! I've taken my boys 12 & 14 out twice in the last two weeks for their first saltwater runs and have been blanked both times. Boys kept a good attitude, but I can see the enthusiasm for another trip waning. Really hoping to put them on fish like you did soon, or I might lose them to the screens!

Upvote 0

Superfecta

Superfecta
Oct 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Name
Matt
Boat
33 Grady White, Papa Says
I have to say, thanks for the nice comments. We had a blast. And appreciate the fishing community and people sharing info. I have learned a ton from the people on this site.

Reactions: bassmeister
Upvote 0

BullFrogVI

Retired USN SEAL
Jun 19, 2008
SAN DIEGO CA
Name
GENE WARDROBE
Boat
24 WA' SEAPRO W/225HP MERC VERADO
I have made some long runs for nada and today worked out. The wind was predicted to come up in the afternoon and it was spot on.

We left Newport Harbor at 5am. Got 2 scoops of bait, tried to make mackerel but couldnt really, so decided to make the run starting around 6am. Headed to about 6 miles south of pyramid head on the ridge and got there around 8am.

Saw a kelp patty and first bait gets picked up and it was a dorado. There were definitely more on the patty, but they got lock jaw after we caught the first one. Then headed west towards the 381 and kept seeing patties. So we stopped and picked up yellowtails. We caught 4 but only kept 2. Then we decided to keep going to the 381 to look for tuna. About 3 miles shy we saw a lot of tuna busting on bait. Really mixed grade. So we run and gunned it initially and got a hook up on a popper, but lost quickly. I couldnt tell if there were the big boys mixed in or not. So we started flying the kite. But got nothing and I got talked back into running and gunning. So down comes the kite... We find a busting spot of fish and 2 of the boys cast poppers and both hook up. One landed a 35lb and the other seemed around 80lb. The 35lb was on a stella 8000 and terex combo and the 80lb was on a tranx 500 on a 9ft calstar. I mention the gear, because after reading reports, I picked up some gear that could cast but also had some back bone. They both did great.

The water temp was 72 on the ridge. As we moved west it dipped to 69. The yellowtail and dorado were in the warmer water. Tuna in the colder. High tide was at 3pm but the fish were showing around noon, so I couldnt find any reason they were breaking. Wind started to come up at 1pm and seem to push the fish down. We headed back and thank god we did. It got rough.

Great day.

View attachment 1176082
Badasses all! Well Done Lads.

Reactions: Darren little d
Upvote 0