neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
Oct 9, 2004
HUNTINGTON BEACH
Name
Chris
Boat Name
Cabo Express
Haven't posted a report in a while. Plan was to leave HB to the West End BF zone but weather was kicking up. Headed straight toward the island and saw immediate foamers 10 miles off HB. They sunk out and we got a nasty tangle trolling 2 lines.

Continued toward the island and saw one foamer after another all up the front side, about 5 miles offshore. Decided to troll a single madmac 160 sardine color and got bit. Had the fish on for 20 mins and lost the lure. Fresh 130# leader had a clean break 1 ft from the braid connection. Tried again and had another hookup on the pink mackerel. That fish shook the hook after 30mins, straight up and down with a bent rod.

Third time was a charm... Again on 160 pink mack madmac. This time my 79 year old dad fought the first 30 minutes or so. His first large grade BFT. I went to finish it, but this fish was pissed. It took three attempts to boat the fish. Lost a hat and a gaff. I don't think my dad and his 70 yr old friend realize how strong these fish are... You gotta seriously sink the gaff, lift HARD and HOLD ON tight!

Fish taped at 56 inches so I'm figuring about 100-110 ish.

7697B782-127E-459E-BDE1-5912A1076585.jpeg
B33E4B5E-B6A4-47AE-A7C9-C1500F478ADB.jpeg
6CFF2D7C-E795-47E7-91CE-082839D8A9BB.jpeg

cchapek10

Mar 15, 2022
Dana Point
Name
Chris Chapek
Boat Name
23' Striper WACC - Pura Vida
Awesome video, congrats on the 100# tuna! Can you comment on the rest of the gear (# test main line, reel, braid-leader connection type) thanks! Looking for rigging tips for those Madmacs

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    Awesome video, congrats on the 100# tuna! Can you comment on the rest of the gear (# test main line, reel, braid-leader connection type) thanks! Looking for rigging tips for those Madmacs
    I got an 80# today in that zone
    MAKIRA 50. 200# Braid. Albright to 150# Izor mono. Black with pink stripes Madmac, San Diego jam knot to the jig.
    Running one troller makes it real easy to turn to the fish

Upvote 0

neversink2

Oct 9, 2004
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    Cabo Express
    Thanks! Gear on this rig was 80# braid, to about 6 ft of 100# mono. I do this so I can quickly switch out jigs/lures. The Madmac had 6 ft of 135# mono, and crimps at each end, with sleeves.

Reel was an old TLD30 2 speed on a Seeker black steel 5-1/2 ft trolling rod, G6455XXH. Nothing special… just what I’ve had for years and it works.

Here’s the crimp connection. Some guys add a swivel at the rod end, but I think it optional. I didn’t get any love on the Yozuri, but we were just trolling it in open water (no foamers).

1A0BF3AD-97BA-475A-A039-8D1C73988DF2.jpeg

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    I'm surprised those foamers didn't sink out. He was literally on top of them. We had schools of boils that sank out when we were over 200 feet away and wouldn't let us anywhere near them. He literally drove right through them. He could have stopped and threw out poppers, jigs or bait. He was close enough to see the eyeballs on the bluefins. I bet the bluefin would have grabbed the madmac as it sank in idle speeds. That was insane. Nice video.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Thanks! Gear on this rig was 80# braid, to about 6 ft of 100# mono. I do this so I can quickly switch out jigs/lures. The Madmac had 6 ft of 135# mono, and crimps at each end, with sleeves.

Reel was an old TLD30 2 speed on a Seeker black steel 5-1/2 ft trolling rod, G6455XXH. Nothing special… just what I’ve had for years and it works.

Here’s the crimp connection. Some guys add a swivel at the rod end, but I think it optional. I didn’t get any love on the Yozuri, but we were just trolling it in open water (no foamers).

View attachment 1411635

Are those copper crimp sleeves? Usually copper sleeves are for stainless wires only. Its also harder to get a reliable crimp on copper unless is a dual copper Nicopress crimp. The aluminum crimp sleeves are softer and more reliable for mono and fluorocarbon.

Reactions: neversink2
    Upvote 0

neversink2

Oct 9, 2004
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    Cabo Express
    I was headed for the left one, when the right one popped up. It was a total frenzy so I just split the two... not as close as it looks and out of casting distance (for me anyway). Plus I already had a lure in the water.

Not sure what the crimp material is. Looks to be copper colored where the deformation occurs. They are dual sleeves, recommended at Charkbait so that's what I used. I also double crimped them and they seem pretty solid.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    I was headed for the left one, when the right one popped up. It was a total frenzy so I just split the two... not as close as it looks and out of casting distance (for me anyway). Plus I already had a lure in the water.

Not sure what the crimp material is. Looks to be copper colored where the deformation occurs. They are dual sleeves, recommended at Charkbait so that's what I used. I also double crimped them and they seem pretty solid.

You should do a pull test on them. Hang the lure in a solid surface and pull as hard as you can. It shouldn't break as much as what you experienced. In general, the dual copper sleeves are used for stainless stranded wires. The normal sleeves for mono and fluorocarbon looks like the ones below. Some are made of aluminum while others are copper like the ones from Nicopress. The Nicopress sleeves are usually copper with plated nickel or with a black coating.

Always run your line through your fingers before you put the lure out to feel for nicks or cuts. I had several lures that had slight nicks on the line and I retied them immediately. Its better safe than sorry since the Madmacs are not cheap recently.

Good luck!

Nicopress sleeves:
    1660066057634.png

The ones you used look more like these.
    1660066228159.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: PaDDy Killer'
    Upvote 0

neversink2

Oct 9, 2004
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    Cabo Express
    You should do a pull test on them. Hang the lure in a solid surface and pull as hard as you can. It shouldn't break as much as what you experienced. In general, the dual copper sleeves are used for stainless stranded wires. The normal sleeves for mono and fluorocarbon looks like the ones below. Some are made of aluminum while others are copper like the ones from Nicopress. The Nicopress sleeves are usually copper with plated nickel or with a black coating.

Always run your line through your fingers before you put the lure out to feel for nicks or cuts. I had several lures that had slight nicks on the line and I retied them immediately. Its better safe than sorry since the Madmacs are not cheap recently.

Good luck!

Nicopress sleeves:
    View attachment 1411678

The ones you used look more like these.
    View attachment 1411680
    Thanks for the pics. I used the 2nd ones. I'll do a test and maybe get some nicopress instead for next time.

I think you are misunderstanding where/why the break occurred. The leader that broke was brand new tied between the braid and the madmac leader. It was 135# Seaguar right out of the packet. The break was 10 ft up from the lure so I didn't check the whole length. All I can think is that another fish nicked the line as the lure was going through the foamer or it had a latent defect from the manufacturer... And yes I'm slightly bummed to lose a Madmac since they are hard to come by these days.

Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Drew Stephens
    Boat Name
    Sunbird Neptune 230
    Were you more towards avalon or the west end? In a foamer like that if you hooked up and pulled the hooks on a fish I would say it more than likely snagged one. Happened to me 4-5 times this year

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Great Report and pics....and NICE TUNA. Kudos to your dad winding on a bigger tuna. I'm 76 and just trying to get healed up and back out again. LOL. It's tough with old parts. Damn tuna.
    Can't beat time out with your dad still. TC

Reactions: neversink2
    Upvote 0