BFT/albacore out of SLO and/or nearby

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
I am wondering if:

1. they catch BFT or albacore out of the general SLO area (would be willing to travel a bit north or south of there)? If so,

2. when?

3. with whom? (would prefer a six pack, but a good party boat would be OK).

Also, I am not interested in multi-day trips: I just don't have the time. :(

Reactions: zd583

Tifoso

Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
Dang it. Could a moderator please edit thread title to SLO, not SFO?
My apologies.

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Albacore typically run in the fall around SLO. Watch the local landings for overnight specific trips. Albies have been absent for many many years though so until they come back, it's a no go. (maybe el nino changed things up) Watch the reports and hop on a trip once they return.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
yes If ....lol

fishboy93

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
Youll need atleast and overnight out of santa Barbara to morro bay

eliner

Aug 10, 2008
PACIFIC GROVE/CA/USA
Name
DAVID
Boat
E-LINER
Best bet for Albacore has been coos bay in June. Have not seen a albacore in 3 years now. Seems they always get them first.

3 years ago they were only 20 miles away from Monterey.

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Yes three years ago they were 20 miles from Monterey. I launched out of Moss Landing (it is easier) and was back in four hours with enough Albies. I did not wait for limits, enough is enough...........When the water cools back down to normal, they will come back. A good trip is to go out of Monterey Bay and go south toward the Davidson. It gets really good at times...
100_6141.JPG
100_6138.JPG

karlk1125

Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
Yes three years ago they were 20 miles from Monterey. I launched out of Moss Landing (it is easier) and was back in four hours with enough Albies. I did not wait for limits, enough is enough...........When the water cools back down to normal, they will come back. A good trip is to go out of Monterey Bay and go south toward the Davidson. It gets really good at times...View attachment 825781 View attachment 825782
That year was unfreaking real. They were in so thick at times it was stupid. Praying we get albacore and ghosts this year!

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
That year was unfreaking real. They were in so thick at times it was stupid. Praying we get albacore and ghosts this year!
It is time..........Ap

karlk1125

Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”

apogee

Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
How do you like those evinrudes? We're thinking of upgrading to those in a year or two.
I got off to a rocky start with the repower with my G2's. but it was no fault of the engines. Once BRP got involved and took charge of the situation, it is all good. I ran a F300 on my other Outrage and there is a world of difference with these G2's. Actually quite surprising with a beautiful growl. Better fuel economy and gobs of torque. I run RX4's on my G2 300's and boy do they hook up. The internal power steering is a trip. Welcome to the future. Being that they are all digital, if I could figure out a way for engines to shutdown to idle neutral upon arrival to a destination waypoint, I figure with my Simrad suite I could program the End Game to take me to my destination while electronically avoiding moving traffic and stationary objects that are in the way of my destination course. The only job left for me is throttle modulation and to make a decision of where to go, which is not much of a problem these days for me. It seems that many people are always telling me where to go......Ap

OTHGV

Jun 7, 2011
Fresyes, ca
Name
Bill
Boat
Whale Watcher boat ho!
Moss landing, about 2 hours north of SLO has a great charter boat. Kahuna sportfishing. The boats fast and fishes 10-12people. Generally $300ish. Depends on if live bait and how far out you gotta go.
Bring your own cooler. No galley.

Reactions: Tifoso and RyanErb

Tifoso

Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
Moss landing, about 2 hours north of SLO has a great charter boat. Kahuna sportfishing. The boats fast and fishes 10-12people. Generally $300ish. Depends on if live bait and how far out you gotta go.
Bring your own cooler. No galley.
Do they fish for anything else out of there?

OTHGV

Jun 7, 2011
Fresyes, ca
Name
Bill
Boat
Whale Watcher boat ho!
Just posted from yesterday!
She fishes all. Carol owns the boat, Harvey may answer the phone.
Fast boat! Cruises about 16-18kts.
$100 for offshore/pt sur rock cod, ling.

Reactions: Tifoso

Just4fun63

Aug 10, 2016
Morro Bay, Ca
Name
Tom McEwen
Boat
Bayliner 2502
We haven't seen Albi in 3-4 years. Pacific Charters in Morro Bay is a good six pac. Captains name is Shawn Stamback he knows fishing around here.

Reactions: Tifoso

Aug 4, 2004
California
Name
JB
Boat
Matson Inc.
Not the greatest reputation in Morro Bay from what I know. Much better small boat operations to choose from.