Tuna Twin
Apr 6, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Kyle F
Boat
Tiderunner 195 Tuna Twins
Hi guys,

Fished with my bro, Andy, and Coleman last Friday for local bluefin. Our game plan was to fish the chlorophyll break well within range for a quick half day, and if you paid attention to the charts last week it's fairly obvious where that was. It didn't take long for us to find a ton of life in the green water, bait, birds, whales etc, but I've never felt confident (or had success) fishing surface bluefin with porpoise in the same area, so we continued on to the edge of this zone. Last year we found great early-season success in April on foamer bluefin tuna in an area full of bait not threatened by their mammal counterparts, so we tried to replicate that this year.
A few miles just southwest from this area we pulled back to take a quick check in the fuji's, and we were stoked to see numerous piles both picking and sitting all around us. This wasn't full speed fishing, but more so being in the right place at the right time when the VERY small spots of bluefin would show themselves under birds. Not only were they shy, but they were moving full speed. Where we achieved success was when we walked from a distance with a bird pile before the tuna showed themselves, then as soon as they came up on the bait, worked our way within casting range and connected. Being very early season, we were all by ourselves and had no other boats competing with us for these finicky spots. 90% of the spots we saw never even gave us a chance to cast on them, but so-goes early season bluefin fishing.
We called it a day by 11:45am as we had obligations back on land, but a guy who we'd just called into that zone had just dumped two surface iron fish as we were leaving, so it sounded like it was coming together. A few notes... we actually found the bluefin in almost pea-soup green water, but that's because that is where the bait was. Also, the bait they're eating isn't your typical micro-chovie, but full sized 4-6" chovie (which I believe strongly improves their willingness to eat a full size popper and surface irons). Much of it was so big it almost looked like sardine. Also, it's fairly rare these early season bluefin are going to be in the same area two days in a row, so stay on top of your latest chlorophyll and SST charts. The day before this we had a buddy have success 20 miles south of this area. Last year, we caught April bluefin 40 miles south of where they were the very next day. So, don't be afraid to move and find life. Good luck to anyone going out this week!

More pics on Instagram @tuna_twins

Pink popper never fails early season.
FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

Our first trip with the new pilot house build.
FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

Bluefin don't get cold.
IMG_3589.jpeg

Our new friend, Brandon, with a biter!
IMG_3631.JPEG

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
The brothers score early again ! That new sled fits you guys perfect and great way to break her in. I was out the day before you on Thursday and saw the same things you did. They were moving so fast by the time I got set up they were gone. I got two Yellowtail off a patty west of all the action. Have a great season in that new boat and I will see you out there.
Corey

saltpheen

Aug 17, 2017
Placerville
Name
Seagambler
Boat
20 north river sea hawk Grady white 282 sailfish
The brothers score early again ! That new sled fits you guys perfect and great way to break her in. I was out the day before you on Thursday and saw the same things you did. They were moving so fast by the time I got set up they were gone. I got two Yellowtail off a patty west of all the action. Have a great season in that new boat and I will see you out there.
Corey
Early season paddy yellowtail is pretty awesome glad to see your still around, hopefully we can get some videos this summer I enjoy watching them

Kyle farmer

Tuna Twin
Apr 6, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Kyle F
Boat
Tiderunner 195 Tuna Twins
Corey
Thanks Corey! Appreciate it and looking forward to getting some days on the water this year. Stay in touch

Reactions: Hardcor

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
Nice job gentlemen! Starting the season proper, super stoked for you both!!! The pilot house is SICK!!!! Stoked!!!!

Boat is looking clean and mean!!

Reactions: Kyle farmer

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
Hi guys,

Fished with my bro, Andy, and Coleman last Friday for local bluefin. Our game plan was to fish the chlorophyll break well within range for a quick half day, and if you paid attention to the charts last week it's fairly obvious where that was. It didn't take long for us to find a ton of life in the green water, bait, birds, whales etc, but I've never felt confident (or had success) fishing surface bluefin with porpoise in the same area, so we continued on to the edge of this zone. Last year we found great early-season success in April on foamer bluefin tuna in an area full of bait not threatened by their mammal counterparts, so we tried to replicate that this year.
A few miles just southwest from this area we pulled back to take a quick check in the fuji's, and we were stoked to see numerous piles both picking and sitting all around us. This wasn't full speed fishing, but more so being in the right place at the right time when the VERY small spots of bluefin would show themselves under birds. Not only were they shy, but they were moving full speed. Where we achieved success was when we walked from a distance with a bird pile before the tuna showed themselves, then as soon as they came up on the bait, worked our way within casting range and connected. Being very early season, we were all by ourselves and had no other boats competing with us for these finicky spots. 90% of the spots we saw never even gave us a chance to cast on them, but so-goes early season bluefin fishing.
We called it a day by 11:45am as we had obligations back on land, but a guy who we'd just called into that zone had just dumped two surface iron fish as we were leaving, so it sounded like it was coming together. A few notes... we actually found the bluefin in almost pea-soup green water, but that's because that is where the bait was. Also, the bait they're eating isn't your typical micro-chovie, but full sized 4-6" chovie (which I believe strongly improves their willingness to eat a full size popper and surface irons). Much of it was so big it almost looked like sardine. Also, it's fairly rare these early season bluefin are going to be in the same area two days in a row, so stay on top of your latest chlorophyll and SST charts. The day before this we had a buddy have success 20 miles south of this area. Last year, we caught April bluefin 40 miles south of where they were the very next day. So, don't be afraid to move and find life. Good luck to anyone going out this week!

More pics on Instagram @tuna_twins

Pink popper never fails early season.
View attachment 1259546

Our first trip with the new pilot house build.
View attachment 1259547

Bluefin don't get cold.
View attachment 1259548

Our new friend, Brandon, with a biter!
View attachment 1259549
Great job guys!!
What is that rod and reel setup you got that on? Looks like a jig stick.
regards
Scott

Reactions: DaveyK