Beware of pay wash down machines at Dana Point, Etc.

Has this happened to you or a friend?

• Fo sho!

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • We don't use those and we never will!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No. We always luck out and shut off the motor before the timer shuts off the water

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

KID CREOLE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
The other thing you guys might do is buy a couple poly drums, strap them in your truck, fill them with fresh water and their you go. Bring your own water, pump and no worries.

Personally, I want to rinse off the brakes, suspension and motor ASAP

KID CREOLE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
Right on Stefan. Crazy to hear how long your t-stat lasted. Anyway, your rig is ready for action now!

My engine has a hose provision but it's not fully hooked up. I'm thinking of completing the connection so I have one more flushing option (a more quiet one) :)
Yeh Randy I have been very lucky, but it also makes me wonder if yearly tune ups by only Yamaha authorized mechanics, running only Yamalube and running Yamaha Ring Free or Sea Foam has made a difference.

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
Yeh Randy I have been very lucky, but it also makes me wonder if yearly tune ups by only Yamaha authorized mechanics, running only Yamalube and running Yamaha Ring Free or Sea Foam has made a difference.
It can't hurt! Plus it's probably going to pay off by way of higher resale value. I'd say that is a smart move in the long run.

As for wash down timing, yeah sooner is always better since rust (oxidation, corrosion, etc) never sleeps...

Jan 17, 2012
San Clemente
Name
Tom Galvery
Boat
Brenda Striper 220wa
Back to the original problem of the timers. I washed down last Thursday and the first timer past the large trash cans was giving me 20 seconds per quarter. The one next to me was giving two minutes! What a ripoff. Watch the timers if you run your motor during flushing. Fortunately I have a newer Yamaha so I don't need to run to flush but it still cost me four dollars to rinse the salt off.

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
Back to the original problem of the timers. I washed down last Thursday and the first timer past the large trash cans was giving me 20 seconds per quarter. The one next to me was giving two minutes! What a ripoff. Watch the timers if you run your motor during flushing. Fortunately I have a newer Yamaha so I don't need to run to flush but it still cost me four dollars to rinse the salt off.
That's WRONG!! We need to get the word out to our fellow BDers ASAP. Maybe you can post a pic and the mods can make it a sticky? Something tells me I had the "fast timer" that you mentioned :( :(

Blackfish

Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
Sep 20, 2005
In a Pineapple, under the sea.
Name
Lee Obvious
Boat
50' Hatteras
That's WRONG!! We need to get the word out to our fellow BDers ASAP. Maybe you can post a pic and the mods can make it a sticky? Something tells me I had the "fast timer" that you mentioned :( :(
How about just talking to the marine office over at near the boat lift. If they don't know, they can't fix it.

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
The other thing you guys might do is buy a couple poly drums, strap them in your truck, fill them with fresh water and their you go. Bring your own water, pump and no worries.

Personally, I want to rinse off the brakes, suspension and motor ASAP
Great. One more thing for the Dana Point launch ramp bandits to steal ;)

Aki

Dec 3, 2015
Kaneohe
Name
Rodney
Boat
14 Livingston
It's just sad that you have to pay to wash down. All the ramps here have water available for free.

Reactions: mokahehteh

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Hey

I do better than that. I always bring a roll of quarters and just stack them on top of the macheen at Dana. Or.....I should say I used to. I think I lost my boat ho privileges.

Reactions: mokahehteh

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
It's just sad that you have to pay to wash down. All the ramps here have water available for free.
It's California....the desert.

In Santa Cruz, HMB and Moss Landing it's $2 for 5 min. I'd love to pay 50cent to rinse my motor and trailer suspension.

I just do all the odds and ends in the boat while the motor is running. Once teh Salt-Away is gone, around 4 min, shut her down.

Inconsistent timers would be a really bad thing.

At least you dont have a Harbor Master that is trying to rid the port of fishermen like SC has. Half the parking lot is closed because they cant figure out what to do with the old dredge. It's no secret why they waited till the middle of summer to swap dredges. Blow boats have slips. They dont need the parking lot or launch ramp.

mokahehteh

Waterman
Sep 29, 2004
Orange County
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Custom Half Cab
It's California....the desert.

In Santa Cruz, HMB and Moss Landing it's $2 for 5 min. I'd love to pay 50cent to rinse my motor and trailer suspension.

I just do all the odds and ends in the boat while the motor is running. Once teh Salt-Away is gone, around 4 min, shut her down.

Inconsistent timers would be a really bad thing.

At least you dont have a Harbor Master that is trying to rid the port of fishermen like SC has. Half the parking lot is closed because they cant figure out what to do with the old dredge. It's no secret why they waited till the middle of summer to swap dredges. Blow boats have slips. They dont need the parking lot or launch ramp.
Sucks!

crawdadguy

team greybeard
Feb 21, 2006
NO. County S.D.
Name
crawdad guy
Boat
21 seaswirl DC
Hey

I do better than that. I always bring a roll of quarters and just stack them on top of the macheen at Dana. Or.....I should say I used to. I think I lost my boat ho privileges.

Chuck, no the Grumpy didn't dump you joe is having engine problems...I have been sedating him and taking him out on mine in fact we go again Wednesday
Im sure it is tough to invite someone out to have motor grief