fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Ever seen whale wars? Get a 100+’ of polypropylene line and dump it in front of them when they try to take off. They’ll run it over, foul their prop, maybe damage their engine, and be sitting dead in the water for an hour+ trying to cut the melted ball of hell, er I mean line, off their prop. I’d pay to see that.
Ya..these whale war guys are stellar decision makers..you definitely wanna follow their lead..

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
See that I disagree on. Whatever happened to an eye for an eye? They used to chop people’s hands off for stealing, and y’all are whining about someone saying they need a ram or a spud gun? Wow we’ve become a society of spineless people
Glad to see that there’s more than a few that think with terminal effectiveness when piracy needs to be dealt with.
If we had some more testicular fortitude in society as a whole, the low life sector would be considerably less bold than they are these days.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    See that I disagree on. Whatever happened to an eye for an eye? They used to chop people’s hands off for stealing, and y’all are whining about someone saying they need a ram or a spud gun? Wow we’ve become a society of spineless people
    I was whining ? Again i detest thieves but am i going to end up in jail for a lobster or hoop net ? Ever shot a spud gun ? might as well chuck iron at them or use a sling shot up close.They might call that assault with a deadly weapon,i'm not sure but maybe.It would be nice to deliver justice immediately but you can't.

Upvote 0

pelagiko

baitfish
    Jul 26, 2006
    SD
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Custom 28' Widebody Ocean Cat
    I know there are laws about pulling your gear, especially commercial traps. Just for shits and grins call the coast guard tomorrow and tell them the story and say you have the cf numbers and you want to press charges. After they tell you there is nothing they can do, ask them what you can do then to protect your property and see what they say. There are laws that give you the right to protect your person and your property. Remember when your talking to them you aren't someone who is curious, you are a tax paying citizen reporting a crime.

Let them pull your net, take your gear or your lobster, while they are doing that put as much rope in the water in front of them as you can, with out being attached to anything their prop probably won't cut it, it will wrap it up. The only way you are going to get the coast guard or a LEO involved is to get on your radio and call a mayday to the coast guard, tell them you caught someone stealing your gear and they pulled a gun on you and your afraid to get your gear because they will shoot you. That statement will get the coast guard or a LEO there asap. They are the ones doing something they shouldn't be doing and you are the RP you will be the one with the credibility, remember that is your story and you are sticking to it, your the citizen reporting a crime. It doesn't matter if they have a gun or not, it could be a toy gun or a flashlight, as long as you think it was a gun and you felt threatened by it, that is brandishing a fire arm and that carries one year mandatory. If these fuckers are doing shit like this the chances of them not having some kind of record are slim and none and slim left town last week, if you are a solid citizen with no record there is no reason to doubt your story. if you have a record, well it sucks to be you and it's karma for what ever you did. Remember it is not a crime for you to be mistaken about what you saw, it's only a crime if you change your story.

Personally I don't believe in calling the cops, that is for woman and old people. I prefer to deal with it myself so I would never make that call. If their boat is disabled, and you are as close to the surf line as you must have been, they would be totally at your mercy.
    Yep, video them running with lights off, get CFs, let them boat your trap and then wrap their prop with rope and then shoot a flare (not the pistol type) into their cabin and say sorry you were aiming up

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
    Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego North County
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Chelsea Rae
    I thought I saw them freeing trapped lobster.....something about "Lobster Lives Matter"
    I'm all for it as long as they matter with some drawn butter,paprika and lemon ;)

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    If you have video evidence of them pulling your pots (easily identifiable with new ID numbers) and they have an outboard, what are the rules for lobbing a .45 through the engine head? Probably not in our favor but could it be considered defending property?

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Something I don't understand! With the effort it takes to pull hoops then why the hell do they just not pull their own? With all their work including a guy on shore? For someone else net. Beside being low life scum their just plain stupid!

So much more satisfying to locate and pull your own spots. I guess that's why I don't have a record.

Upvote 0

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
  • May 27, 2015
    SD
    Name
    Donnie D
    Boat
    FINBOMB
    I thought I saw them freeing trapped lobster.....something about "Lobster Lives Matter"
    I'm all for it as long as they matter with some drawn butter,paprika and lemon ;)

Jim to the rescue...

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    People that always talk the tough shit are the ones who don't do squat about it. The ones that are quiet and don't say what they will or have done are the ones you got to keep an eye on. Remember keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Very true and easy to spot in person, the guy who doesn't run his mouth when he is out and about, keeps his back against the wall, and is always aware of what is going on around him. The term "talks the talk and walks the walk" comes to mind. It's like carrying a stun gun, it's okay if your friends know you are and you will use it, but you don't tell the rest of the world.
    Looking at these posts is like looking at the guy in the bar, one is loud and talks shit and another doesn't talk shit, keeps his back to the wall and watches what is going on around him. Look at the suggestions, how many people have those things on their boat and at their disposal? Normal people rely on law enforcement to protect them and their property, but for that to happen law enforcement has to be there. Look at my post, I am sure we agree that someone stealing your nets isn't going to get law enforcement on the scene which means you just got punked and without repercussions there is nothing to detour thieves from continuing to do this. Most people hoop netting will have the things available to do what I suggested, I made them aware of what would get a LEO on scene, the severity of the accusation and the importance of not deviating from their story. I don't call the cops so I wouldn't make that call... but I didn't say what I would do. I don't like seeing people getting taken advantage of, and when their isn't anything done there is no reason to think this would stop. I am not bothered by confrontation but i know most people are and that is why we have police, unfortunately I don't think there is any justice in the justice department and this is exactly why things are as fucked up as they are and crime is out of control.
    Look at some of these responses, people showing concern for what would happen to them if they did what had been suggested, and the sad part is that they are right, the cops will fuck with you for doing something because you are there and easy to get, it looks like they are doing something, so you end up paying the price for some scum bag acting like a scum bag... these situations should just be filed under DSAF... did society a favor.

The point is this... do something using common sense, BUT do something... or it isn't going to stop.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    Something I don't understand! With the effort it takes to pull hoops then why the hell do they just not pull their own? With all their work including a guy on shore? For someone else net. Beside being low life scum their just plain stupid!

So much more satisfying to locate and pull your own spots. I guess that's why I don't have a record.

They aren't going to a store and buying them, doing whatever you have done to improve them. Giving up the space to store them. loading and unloading them from the boat. finding a spot to use them. Getting and storing the bait that will go in them. Doing the work needed to keep them usable. buying bait cages and lights, having a fishing license and a lobster card along with the time and expense to get them. cleaning the boat after you have done everything except pulling them out of your net and putting them in the bait tank. Not putting in the time on the water for a limit, they just move to the next set of nets. With no gear in their boat they probably don't have to worry about getting checked to see if all their bugs are legal or how many they have.

I'm sure there is more but, did that answer your question? You are honest and a sportsmen and they are low life scum bag pieces of shit. Seems pretty clear to me.

Reactions: djd35de and kevina
    Upvote 0

Big Stoichy

Oct 7, 2005
    Riverside
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    270 Sea Ray Sportfish
    I was hooping in 12 ft of water off the submerged jetty Saturday and had the same situation happen. When I ran up on the guys, they seemed sketchy. Then they left the area. After they left, I moved down to my 2 remaining new promar nets with the good bait cages to only find they were gone. There's no way they drifted or got cut off ( I'm not new and the floats are rigged properly)
    That boat came from that end of my set. I think they were poaching gear as well as bugs.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Wrist rocket with 3/8 Ball bearings for ammo. 1/4 flies faster, but not the same impact. Backs quite a wallop, quiet, cheap, legal. Can be used for many pests. Probably even more fun if they have a wound prop and are disabled! By the way, the slingshot ammo is now behind the counter at Turners! At least no background check! LOL!

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Hair spray doesn't work... I took hair spray with me....but, used up all of it enroute so I could look good for videos, just like the blonde guy on "Deadliest Catch"...
    If you use hairspray get the cheap "Aquanet" brand.That stuff in a spud gun will pack a wallop.Works great on hair also.Seriously though,who takes a spud gun lobster fishing ?

Upvote 0