hobie20

Learner's Permit
Jun 18, 2012
SANTEE/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
Kelly - 23' CC Boston Whaler, Green T-top, 225 SWSII
We were fishing two zones off La Jolla (Marine St area), moved to the more shallow set and found a 25'ish cabin cruiser type boat rolling up on our float with a boat hook reaching for the line. We yelled at them, no response, aimed the bow and anchor of our boat at the side of their boat and gave it a little gas, they then pulled the boat hook in and idled off. They were running with no lights, either running or interior. Must have had a spotter directing them from shore. If you are hooping off La Jolla, keep a close set and watch your floats. Fish small. By the way, caught eight keepers off La Jolla in about 60' of water from about 7PM-9PM, then four keepers off of sunset cliffs in about 40' of water from 9:45PM to 11:30PM. Thick with bugs in these two spots. Also, boarded by fish and game, they measured every one of our legal bugs.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice job. This is why I hoop only one area at a time and stay close. Any scum bag hoop poachers rolling up on my gear get an earful. They have tried, but haven't managed to steal any of my bugs. Yet. Their BS excuse most often is "Oh, I thought they were mine". Kinda weird when my floats all have my boat name, CF numbers, GO ID and specific reflective tape patterns. Karma will get these jack wagons one day.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Karma will get these jack wagons one day.
    Yes... yes, it will. When you slide in behind them with your lights off as they’re pulling your trap and launch a pound and a half of hairspray powered justice through the back of their cabin and out the front windshield. This is called “instant” karma. Verrry verrry satisfactory.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Yes... yes, it will. When you slide in behind them with your lights off as they’re pulling your trap and launch a pound and a half of hairspray powered justice through the back of their cabin and out the front windshield. This is called “instant” karma. Verrry verrry satisfactory.

Hold a lighter up to the stream of hairspray too. It looks super cool.

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0

Sushiboy

Jan 1, 2007
    Redlands
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    21' Wellcraft CC
    I may spread my hoops out, but they are always in sight.
    People suck sometimes.

I know you were probably just trying two spots to see what was more productive but I just don't trust people.They won't steal your hoop, just your bugs.

Good score!

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
    frazierpark ca usa
    Name
    gordon grant
    Boat
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    Friend of mine fishing lobster traps over at catilina 20 years ago pulled up a trap on his hydrolic puller from 60’ and a diver had his arm stuck in one of the funnels so he let the line go and the 80 lb trap with the divers arm stuck in it went all the way down to the bottom then he put the line back in the puller and pulled it up again to see if the diver was done poaching his lobsters , nope still got his arm in the trap so he let it go back down to the bottom and went about his day pulling the rest of the gear , the next day when he pulled that trap that the diver was poaching the diver was gone but he did say he remembers hearing something on the VHS radio about a diver with the bends that had to be rushed to the chamber ....... LOL

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I would call it getting arrested for something bad.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Hold a lighter up to the stream of hairspray too. It looks super cool.

Berrymans B12 Chemtool works way better, shoots a good 20'+ stream.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    Hairspray, spud launchers and battering rams. Is that what this worlds has come to?
    Yes... yes, it has.
    Don’t attempt to steal others things and the world continues as normal. Get caught stealing and.... well, as far I’m concerned, they’re fair game and it’s open season.
    I utterly detest thieves.

Upvote 0

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
    Orange
    Name
    L Train
    Boat
    27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
    You need to install a naval ram. I love mine. if someone cuts me off at the inlet, I follow them out and put a big ass hole into their hull.

Thats just F-ing stupid. So you're willing to risk criminal prosecution bc your dumbass can't control yourself??

Please continue explicitly writing down all your intended actions, itll significantly help your case when you've got the DA up your ass for being a dumbass.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Thats just F-ing stupid. So you're willing to risk criminal prosecution bc your dumbass can't control yourself??

Please continue explicitly writing down all your intended actions, itll significantly help your case when you've got the DA up your ass for being a dumbass.

Dear lord, please tell me that none of your amazing creations are this retarded. In the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost, Amen.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Yes... yes, it has.
    Don’t attempt to steal others things and the world continues as normal. Get caught stealing and.... well, as far I’m concerned, they’re fair game and it’s open season.
    I utterly detest thieves.
    We all detest thieves.I'm thinking you're really exaggerating quite a bit.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    I know there are laws about pulling your gear, especially commercial traps. Just for shits and grins call the coast guard tomorrow and tell them the story and say you have the cf numbers and you want to press charges. After they tell you there is nothing they can do, ask them what you can do then to protect your property and see what they say. There are laws that give you the right to protect your person and your property. Remember when your talking to them you aren't someone who is curious, you are a tax paying citizen reporting a crime.

Let them pull your net, take your gear or your lobster, while they are doing that put as much rope in the water in front of them as you can, with out being attached to anything their prop probably won't cut it, it will wrap it up. The only way you are going to get the coast guard or a LEO involved is to get on your radio and call a mayday to the coast guard, tell them you caught someone stealing your gear and they pulled a gun on you and your afraid to get your gear because they will shoot you. That statement will get the coast guard or a LEO there asap. They are the ones doing something they shouldn't be doing and you are the RP you will be the one with the credibility, remember that is your story and you are sticking to it, your the citizen reporting a crime. It doesn't matter if they have a gun or not, it could be a toy gun or a flashlight, as long as you think it was a gun and you felt threatened by it, that is brandishing a fire arm and that carries one year mandatory. If these fuckers are doing shit like this the chances of them not having some kind of record are slim and none and slim left town last week, if you are a solid citizen with no record there is no reason to doubt your story. if you have a record, well it sucks to be you and it's karma for what ever you did. Remember it is not a crime for you to be mistaken about what you saw, it's only a crime if you change your story.

Personally I don't believe in calling the cops, that is for woman and old people. I prefer to deal with it myself so I would never make that call. If their boat is disabled, and you are as close to the surf line as you must have been, they would be totally at your mercy.

Upvote 0

ChaseTheBait

Eat em raw
    Mar 19, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Chase
    Boat
    Carolina Skiff 1800
    Personally I don't believe in calling the cops, that is for woman and old people. I prefer to deal with it myself so I would never make that call. If their boat is disabled, and you are as close to the surf line as you must have been, they would be totally at your mercy.

This has got to be some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard lmao

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Someone should invent a lightweight, portable, waterproof video camera.
    Then folks could spotlight and film these douchenozzles in action.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    We all detest thieves.I'm thinking you're really exaggerating quite a bit.
    See that I disagree on. Whatever happened to an eye for an eye? They used to chop people’s hands off for stealing, and y’all are whining about someone saying they need a ram or a spud gun? Wow we’ve become a society of spineless people

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Ever seen whale wars? Get a 100+’ of polypropylene line and dump it in front of them when they try to take off. They’ll run it over, foul their prop, maybe damage their engine, and be sitting dead in the water for an hour+ trying to cut the melted ball of hell, er I mean line, off their prop. I’d pay to see that.

Upvote 0