ripped

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
I never met this man but figure there are many here who have. Lifted this from Instagram...

redroosteriii Larry Brown Long Range Fishing - Kids & Veterans Fishing

April 7 at 1:52 PM ·

Dear Friends,
I'm not often at a loss for words. Today I am. Our dearest friend Robert Michener is in trouble. All of us who know Bob and love Bob call him Bobby or Pappy. His cancer has returned and it is aggressive. Hospice is helping at home. Pappy's immediate family is there with him. His daughter Susan seems strong and says her Mom is strong. Pappy has been a fixture on long range boats before we had long range boats. His goal was to land as many cows as his age and I think he was just short of his 85 goal. I have fished with Pappy for just the last 12 years. For 10 years we have been friends. The first two years he scared me. Gruff old Bob has a warm heart he kept hidden from me for a couple of years. Pappy has probably been my best long range teacher, mentor.
I am very sad at the prospect of losing my dear old fisherman friend.
This morning I asked Susan if she would mind me beginning a Facebook post to honor Pappy with photos and stories of our experiences fishing together. Susan will share there photos and stories with her Mom and Dad. I think it will also be cathartic for all of us. So please join me in posting a photo, a story or your well wishes for Pappy and his family. Most importantly, please SHARE this to all your fishing buddies, as my network likely reflects a tiny portion of the lives Bobby has touched and enriched on the deep sea.

We love you Pappy.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Sorry to hear but am happy for you and all that know him.
Best to his family in this time.

Reactions: lougio

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
Bobby is one-of-a-kind, a real OG. I used to follow him around the boat to figure out what his secret was. There was no secret sauce - he'd just sit up at the bow and patiently fish a bait until it got bit. He didn't go in for fancy tackle discussions or any of it. But underneath it all the gruff a warm and funny guy. He practically lived on that boat.
Prayers for you Pappy!!

weeza

Nov 29, 2011
alta loma,ca.
Name
glenn sarpy
Boat
none
I MET BOB FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST APRIL ON A 3.5DAYER ON THE CONSTITUTION OUT OF PV. I GUESS THE FACT THERE WAS ONLY 12 PEOPLE ON THE BOAT MY FRIEND AND I HAD PLENTY OF TIME TO CHAT WITH AND PICK BOBS BRAINS ON FISHING. HE FISHED FROM GREY LIGHT UNTIL DARK, NOT TO MENTION HE GOT UP AT LEAST 3 TIMES EACH NIGHT TO FISH FOR THE BIG SQUID. YES BOB FISHED THE BOW THE WHOLE TIME, THE FISHING WAS VERY SLOW BOB DIDNT GET A BITE, BUT ON THE LAST NIGHT AS WE WERE ABOUT READY TO PULL UP ANCHOR AND HEAD BACK TO PV A LOUD SCREAM CAME FROM THE BOW...HOOOOK UPPPP, BOBS ON ! YES BOB LANDED THE BIGGEST FISH OF THE TRIP 190 POUNDS AS THE FISH HIT THE DECK WE WENT CRAZY ! BOB M. THE TOUGHEST GUY YOU WILL EVER FISH WITH ! IN CLOSING I JUST WANT TO SAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY BOB ! IT WAS AN HONOR AND PLEASURE TO FISH WITH YOU. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE,AND IF THE GOOD LORD SAYS THE SAME WE WILL DO IT AGAIN !

richardvantine

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 1, 2014
Name
Richard Vantine
Boat
Big X Red rooster
I have had the goog fortune to have been able to share the rail with Pappy since 2005 when I started doing extended long range trips on the Q105 when that came to an end we both some how found a new home on The Rooster and have had at least one trip a year since then .Over the years I have learned a lot from him mostly from oberservation but he would also share bits of informationas he thought appropriate his #1 tip was KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID he would never pass up an oppertunity to give me a lecture after a all day event spent making wind on leaders he would say you don't need to do all that crap just stick the florocarbon in the line and tie an overhand knot well as it turns out it works and his record is a testament to that he all so got great plesure in telling me after every fish he caught he cought it on a 10 cent hook or one that he picked up off the deck . When I picture him in my recollections he is sitting up on the bow legs hanging over the side on the LOOOONG soak i would ask him if ih thought his bait was still alive and he would reply thats ok they will eat it and they usually would my prays to you my friend and your family

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
My favorite line from Bobby was hearing yell at guys "Fish them in high you pussies" will pulling on cows

Reactions: Fishdood and lougio

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I met and fished with Bob on my first ever long trip. This was ,y birthday present to myself for my 60th. It was '09 June Heat on the Rooster. I introduced myself and told him I was giving up cigarettes. He said I was like one of the newcomers to AA, an organization he believed in, said it saved his life. So, not only was I a newcomer to giving up smoking but a newcomer to this style of fishing trip.

I was pretty stoked to catch not one but two Cows, my first. He proceeded to catch three. As it was pretty much all new to me I didn't really take too much time to get to know him, but thought his tackle arrangement was pretty cool. Not wanting to be in the clusterscrew of trying to find just the right spot for his tackle box, he had just made his own. One of his nicknames, Scrappy came from the work he did in salvage. With some measurements he had taken, he welded up a brace that he affixed to the end of the port to starboard tackle rack and put his SKB on that. No muss, no fuss.

A stroke of luck found me on the same trip again in 2018. Bob of course was on the trip with a bunch of the regulars. We exchanged a little chit chat, him remembering me. As we approached Hurricane Bank, Bob decided to start fishing the open trolling that was available and dropped in with his DTX 200 Minnow. Yeah, he got bit, won the trolling JP before the rest of us knew which end was up. Nice Yellowfin, weighed 208, coincidentally the same weight as my first cow back in 2009. :)

Bob Trollimg.jpg

Settled in on the anchor at the Bank, we had massive ripping current straight off the stern. Fishing was tough, hard to get bit, kite wasn't producing all that well. sinker fishing was beginning to look like something to try. There was one small squid in the handwell, like the ones we use up north. We all saw it, looked at it, but Bob decided to pin it on and put it in the water. Why not? He reeled it back in and put on about a 4-6 oz. sinker and put it back out. Now Bob isn't one to fish light tackle, finesse presentations, no he was fishing an ATD 50W, big spectra, heavy mono topshot with about three feet of, yes 180 lb Seaguar Blue Label Fluorocarbon. Here's the result.

Bob JP.jpg

So, that's Bob! But so much more to his story.

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
After 30+ LONG Trips with Pappy I think I can say I know him fairly well. There will never be another like him, a true legend in the San Diego LONG RANGE COMMUNITY.
A grizzled old-timer that could be tough as nails, yet soft as a teddy bear. Looking back, we all should try to be like him. He led a fantastic life raising a family he can be proud of (Susan, his daughter has caught her fair share of big tuna) retiriing from a job he worked hard at daily (Hell, he still scrapped metal to help fund his fishing) and doing what he told his wife what he said he was going to do upon retiring. “IM GOING FISHIN”

I have so many stories about this man and I will always cherish the moments we had together chasing big fish.

I’m glad I got to gaff his final cow this winter, his 84th if I remember correctly.

Take everyday seriously everyone, do what you LOVE to dowhen you have the time to do it.

BE LIKE BOB

Bobby on his final kite rotation of his storied legacy, drifting for Bluefin just a few weeks ago in March.

170D53F4-0FE2-4779-932A-B6E0FB4F35D5.jpeg

ACA9D266-1D75-4D8A-B1B3-E52708ECAAA2.jpeg

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
I'd never had the pleasure to share the rail with him.

From what's written above, the man was clearly a icon of SDLR!

My condolences to the family & the community.

Reactions: Fishdood

Crashmister

Jun 12, 2012
Fort Lauderdale Florida
Name
Pat Dirindin
Boat
BankShot (shopping)
Just fished the Rooster with Bobby on the December Moffat charter. I met Bob on my first Moffat charter in 2013. His junk yard tackle box shelf was a marvel. His wealth of knowledge was unmatched by most. I know I’ll miss him as will our charter crew.
RIP Buddy.

Reactions: Warlord and Bill W

LUCKY DAVE

Jan 19, 2007
Leucadia
Name
Ralph Kramden the Invincible
Boat
60' Hatteras sportfish
It's taken me a day or so to process that Bobby is actually gone.

I have shared the rail with Bob for roughly 300 days over the years. Once I got to really know Bobby, I found the heart of gold inside the rough exterior, there was no finer man to have at your side.

Early in my long range life , I found out that if you asked Bob a question on how to do something, he would smile, run over to his box and grab what he thought you needed, show you how to rig it, and give advice on how to fish it - he just really loved long range fishing, and the specialized anglers he shared it with.

My son Dylan and I were with Bob on his last 15 day trip. He plainly wasn't feeling well, not always getting up with first light (very un Bob-like) sometimes sitting in the galley reading a novel, and was obviously tired. That didn't keep him from plenty of quality rail time of course. We could all benefit from Bob's example of uncomplaining toughness.
Several of us tagged numerous fish with Bob's tags, as brothers do.

He knew he had cancer but he didn't sit at home whining about it, he went on a 15 day and tried to catch another cow. Typical of Junkyard.

I'll miss him a lot, long range just won't be the same without him.

Susan, if you read this:
If you would like to come on a trip in the future, you will be among family, we'll take good care of you.

Godspeed Bobby

Diamond Dave

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
When someone passes that has deeply touched me I always try to reflect on what qualities that person had that made them stand out from the crowd. To honor that person I always try ( though not always successful ) to emulate just one of those qualities and make it my own.

sierraazuel

Saving World From Skynet
Jul 3, 2009
3rd Rock from The Sun
Name
Drew P. Balls
Boat
Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper
When someone passes that has deeply touched me I always try to reflect on what qualities that person had that made them stand out from the crowd. To honor that person I always try ( though not always successful ) to emulate just one of those qualities and make it my own.

Well said...

Reactions: richardblufin

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
I met and fished with Bob on my first ever long trip. This was ,y birthday present to myself for my 60th. It was '09 June Heat on the Rooster. I introduced myself and told him I was giving up cigarettes. He said I was like one of the newcomers to AA, an organization he believed in, said it saved his life. So, not only was I a newcomer to giving up smoking but a newcomer to this style of fishing trip.

I was pretty stoked to catch not one but two Cows, my first. He proceeded to catch three. As it was pretty much all new to me I didn't really take too much time to get to know him, but thought his tackle arrangement was pretty cool. Not wanting to be in the clusterscrew of trying to find just the right spot for his tackle box, he had just made his own. One of his nicknames, Scrappy came from the work he did in salvage. With some measurements he had taken, he welded up a brace that he affixed to the end of the port to starboard tackle rack and put his SKB on that. No muss, no fuss.

A stroke of luck found me on the same trip again in 2018. Bob of course was on the trip with a bunch of the regulars. We exchanged a little chit chat, him remembering me. As we approached Hurricane Bank, Bob decided to start fishing the open trolling that was available and dropped in with his DTX 200 Minnow. Yeah, he got bit, won the trolling JP before the rest of us knew which end was up. Nice Yellowfin, weighed 208, coincidentally the same weight as my first cow back in 2009. :)

View attachment 1133315

Settled in on the anchor at the Bank, we had massive ripping current straight off the stern. Fishing was tough, hard to get bit, kite wasn't producing all that well. sinker fishing was beginning to look like something to try. There was one small squid in the handwell, like the ones we use up north. We all saw it, looked at it, but Bob decided to pin it on and put it in the water. Why not? He reeled it back in and put on about a 4-6 oz. sinker and put it back out. Now Bob isn't one to fish light tackle, finesse presentations, no he was fishing an ATD 50W, big spectra, heavy mono topshot with about three feet of, yes 180 lb Seaguar Blue Label Fluorocarbon. Here's the result.

View attachment 1133316

So, that's Bob! But so much more to his story.

Reactions: sierraazuel