best way to storage your WAR Jigheads?

Discussion in 'The Bass Fishing Club' started by steelfish, Oct 25, 2010.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I dont know if this has been asked before but since you guys are pro bass slayers I'd like to hear you advice in what is the best way to storage and give long life to our WAR baits jigs?

after every session on the water do you just wash them with fresh water and put them separated fron the plastic swimmy or do you let the combo ready and put them in the fishing box ready for the next session?

I remember living the combo togueter from another brand jighead and after some time I changed the swimmy and the lead that was inside of the plastic was kind of rotten, still working but was strange to see the lead without the paint and feeling like sand.

Im new using this killers WAR BAITS here at cortez sea, no love for them yet with the spotties on the 1oz-1.5oz and 5 or 6" MC swimbaits combo, but is just a matter of time!!

[​IMG]

Im on my way to try those 1/2oz and 3/4oz SBK jigs with 3"-4" swimbaits.

any recomendation to use those jigs in a rocky bottons to avoid get snag it and catch fish?
    BTW I have no experience fishing in the kelp beds but it has to be very different than fishing on the rocks or not?

thanks in advance

2. Big Pancho

Big Pancho Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    Hermano Alex wash them down with aqua dulce and spray a little WD- 40 on them. I don't think the saltwater will destroy them. Afran really applies a nice heavy coat of finish on them. The hooks are quality aswell. As for fishing the kelp the only way to learn is to do it. What I would sugest is to use straigth 60 to 85 pound spectra line with a small 30" floro topshot I have also used just straight spectra to the hook. The key is to tie a good knot and make sure the knot is tight. If you tie a shitty knot the spectra will just pull out and you will say a couple of Pinchi su madres when the fish gets away. I am sure that the boys on here will shoot up some ideas on how they rig up there swimbaits. I like the center reel you got there is that a TE 400? With that reel theres nothing going to get away. Load that sucker up with the spectra and there will be no Mexican bass that is going to get away. OK maybe a big ass Cabria when he cuts you off in the stones. The last time I went on one of Tony Reyes panga trips I got my ass handed back to me by some of those mexican bass. Those pescados are strong. I learned real quick to jump on these fish as soon as they hit and pull them away from there rocky homes. Next time I am down there I am going to throw some hard baits at them. I know the hook up ratio will increase and the damn trigger fish won't tear them up. I think I went through about 200 dollars in plastic swimbaits and I would say about 75 percent of the swimbaits were destroyed by the triggers. Pinchi paranas con deintes. Well hermano wish you luck out there. Fish on.

Big Pancho

3. FknChristopH

FknChristopH Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christoph
    Boat:
    FAT Cat / RIP Icon
    +1 to frank

4. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey Franky boy thanks for your comments, you're completely right bro, that is a TE 400 for the 2oz and up jigs and a cardiff 200 for the smallers, that TE is my newest toy so, just few fishes have tasted its power, some corvinas, some bigass croakers and a real big triggers, now Im going after some spotties and cabrillas (leopard grouper bass) with this WAR+BH/MC combos.
    this last session I lost 2 big cabrillas fishing 65 braid and 40lb 5ft mono leader because these fishes are the master of hit&run or hit&hide, once the cabrilla get to its cave stays in its cave just like the pargo (snapper), so I think I need 80lb mono leader at least to lift those bass up to the boat.
    if fun fun using that calcutta bro, my previous reel for that purpose was a jigmaster 500 and a 501.

going back to the proper way to storage those jigs, as long as I understand you, you take the jig off the swimbait and then clean it and apply some WD or corrocion X, right?.

fish on!!

5. kelpbass_kid

kelpbass_kid Salvay Pacific

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    29 ft. Crystaliner "Hawk", 22 ft. Ranger Bahia 220 "RazeRanger"
    WAR heads are meant to take the abuse. Fish them hard all day, and store them in a warm, dry place when your done. Have fun!

6. Big Pancho

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    YOU GOT IT TOYOTA!!! Clean them and dry them off and shoot the WD 40 ON THEM!! Hey loco try out the shimano TE 300 This is my go to reel when fishing the kelp. Also the shimano curado 300 is a nice little reel. I caught these Cabillas and this 23 pound yellow on the older Curado 300. This reel has got some balls. Now the yellow really put a hurt on me because of the reel only holding 120 yards of 20 pound straight Mono. This yellow had me to the knot two times before he gave up the fight. But now this reel is spooled up with straight spectra and there is plenty of line on it almost double the capacity. So now I feel a bit more confident that if a big fish hits I have enough line for him to do whatever he decides to do. Well brother I didn't mean to step on your post but heres a little tip for you swimbaits. Never leave them bunched up in your tackle box or bag. Lay them flat on there backs on a level surface so they don't get all bent and shit from the heat. Nothing worst than pulling out your swimbaits from you bag or box to find them all bent and shit. The key thing here is to not only take care of your fishing gear that cost a grip of money but also to take care of your fishing lures and tackle so that they can take care of bussiness when you are on the water. Later amigo. Here are a couple of pictures of some pecados caught at Tortuga Island Santa Rosalia MEXICO.

Pancho

Attached Files:

7. dirtytaco.

dirtytaco. Newbie

Name:
    Jacob Trutanich
    Boat:
    none yet
    iv never had problems with war baits rusting hooks are a diffrent story haha mustads+saltwater for a period more than a few hours no bueno

8. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    hey Pancho, you more than welcome to step in this thread anytime compa, and talking about reels, actually I am debating in buying a luna 253, calcutta 300TE or a curado 200e5 for the small swimbaits and jerkbaits and ditch the cardiff 200 this Xmas, planning on using 30braid straigh.

thanks for this advice
    buena pesca

9. Big Pancho

Name:
    Frank Ochoa
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper
    Alex I never fished a Diawa Luna but hear good things about it. Now I had a 200 E7 curado and didn't like it. I think it was a little to fast of a gear ratio for my liking. But the Calcutta 300 TE I know about I have two and love these reels. The 200 TE is a nice reel aswell but I just sold mine. I got big hands and fingers so it made it a bitch to take out birds nest out of these small reels. I know birds nest Yes I still get them from time to time. Hears another tip Look at the Abu Gracia Toro or Wrench reels I just purchased a Abu Garcia Rebo and it is sweet. Cast like a champ and it fits in the palm of you hand. Very comfortable to fish with. Just my dos centavos on the reel thing. Later Loco

Big Pancho

10. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:
    Hey Frank and the others talk about using WD-40, check it out.... stinks to high heavens, its petroleum based, really is not good for the environment at all. You see the slick it leaves in the water.

There is a new product i was just turned onto. INOX lubricants. You can get more info from John (INOXicated) regarding the wide array of Lanolin based, food grade, kosher certified, non petroleum based products, or go to the website Products | INOX Lubricants, Greases & Battery Conditioners
    John sent ma a sample of LANOX MX4, and (MX3 spray lube) which is a lanolin based spray lube, similar to say LPS, but safe for the environment and the stuff seems to be all that its touted to be. I just applied it to my boat trailer, my hull, trailer rims, and used MX3 on my engine cowl. OMG, its just like they say, not a pitch, my trailer and outboard look brand new. INOX products originated and come from Australia and were originally developed and used in the mining industry. You could not ask for nastier conditions then under ground, with dirt, and corrosive minerals, and moisture. INOX also makes MX2, a battery conditioner which reverses sulfation in marine batteries increasing battery efficiency and life in some cases batteries lasting 10 years. They make a chain lube that sticks to the chain and doesnt fly off. they make a bearing lube, machinery lube, and some other great marine products that will save you money and saves your boat and gear. I wish i found this years ago. My boat looks like new again. After i finish tomorrow in the sunlight i will post some photos. Im stoked and cant wait to use the MX3 on my rods and reels. I know im not going to be worried about corrosion on my guides ever again. Im also stoked to be able to send out a custom rod that is already protected before it hits the water. Im also guessing i can apply a light coating to the siwash hooks i use on my bombs and they wont rust anymore. INOX IS THE BOMB. BOOOM.. LOOKOUT here it comes.

By the way, MX3 doesnt smell at all, and MX4 (lanox) smells slightly of what i would imagine wet wool smells like, which is where lanolin comes from. Oh yeah, an my hands are so soft, ;)

finally my gear can stop battling the elements. Even though my boat only goes in the colorado river, the water is extremely hard and my lower end was all bleached out, looks jet black again. BOOYAH.

Thanks John.

Disclaimer - I am NOT affiliated, but i hope to be soon.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  11. Panic

Panic One Cool Tuna - Panic

Name:
    Jeff- One Cool Tuna
    Boat:
    1ft, plastic, O.C.T. One CoolTuna
    Inox does work great and for the Plastic and irons, it will keep them looking new and won't mess with the bite. Fish do still bite. try that with the WD. I have been using the MX3 and it is great. Rod, reel and tackle..

12. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    Glad you like our products. Thanks for the shout out. Yes we are coming.... Don't forget Inox is also non-conductive, great for protecting electronics. Yes you can use it for tackle. I spray the complete tray. Inox will not effect mono either.