REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
IMHO

In my area (Ventura) Offer Up is kind of a joke.

SD traders are good guys but they are a business and in it to make money so you will get less than 50%+or- of what you can sell it for.

eBay is too expensive and lots of rules.

Most of the reels in your picture will sell on BD. Your Trinidads, TLDs, Avets, Newells, Internationals will sell here.

Your older Penns will probably sell best on Craigslist. I personally like cleaning up selling OS Penn reels and there are a lot of lower income anglers in my area who can't afford the higher tech reels but smart enough to know you don't need them to catch fish.

(Don't be afraid of CL. There are some jerks on it and some really nice guys. I can say the same for BD, but some of those are BD are really rude and with some you have to put up with their political drival when all you want to do is sell a damned fishing reel. This weekend I sold $800 of rods and reels to two guys on CL. One even called on his way over and brought burritos. I have my yard set up with 2 picnic tables set up to ensure social distancing and we sat around and lied about fishing for nearly 2 hours.0

A lot of guys here will be interested in your GUSA rods. Don't know what other rods you have, but most of the major brands will sell okay. The caveat is that many of the guys on BD think you can't catch fish unless you have an 8 foot or longer rod.

Hismosa's suggestion on finding prices is how I do it, but I do adjust for local preferences.

Selling misc tackle (hooks, sinkers, lures other than jigs, etc) is a pain in the tail. Sell them in lots rather than individually.

Figure out how to use the Messaging/Conversation feature on BD. That way you can get info on specific items that members may not want to put out in public. It's also a good way to get offers privately.

Good night.

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Selling that many items individually is a lot of time

on eBay, do a key word search, then check show only> “completed items” (it’s in the lower left column) — the prices in green are what sold

in my experience

eBay will generally net you the highest price and naturally weed out the low ballers and riffraff

the best stuff will sometimes sell fast on BD - I recommend putting your location in subject line - that you will mark as sold when sold, if you ship or not, if your price is firm or you take best offers - and avoid putting too many items in one posting (split them up)

nothing wrong with Craigslist or offerup - in my experience

sharp in focus, cropped, well-lighted photos and detailed condition descriptions help attract better buyers

if you do PayPal, send the buyer a detailed invoice off PayPal-com, avoid friends and family because it is not protected if you get ripped off - PayPal’s invoice option represents a contract that PP can enforce

good luck

Last edited:

RichG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Besides tackle traders you could try some of your local tackle shops. However again they need to make some $ so you will not get full retails. It's a difficult challenge.

The Gold trinidads are worth more since they aren't made any longer and the 40N is commanding some good money. I've seen it as high as $500. It might be worth taking them to some one to get an idea what they are worth. If you need the $ fast then wholesale the gear and you won't have to wait or mess around with Ebay, Craigs list, etc.

Good luck.

WellFairFisher

“That’s why it’s called Fishing”
Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
Appreciate the reply's and I think I figured out the new conversation message issue. My cell phones browser is on "Private Mode" and it was either blocking it or logging me out.

I think i'm going to list the lower end gear on ebay and the higher end and rods locally and hope for the best.....Warren

4Bigeye2na

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2015
Name
Ed
Boat
Searay
Keep an eye out for fishing swap meets. We've got one coming up in November in the valley. You might get someone to offer you a price for everything. Thats the easiest. Sure you got some PM's already.

WellFairFisher

“That’s why it’s called Fishing”
Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
Thanks Bigeye...A swap meet would be nice right now.

does anyone know how much I should list these So Cal reels for?
25647D38-43FE-4EC8-A8AA-420035C74E0A.jpeg