WellFairFisher

“That’s why it’s called Fishing”
Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
What’s the best way for me to sell some fishing gear?

The father in law is in bad health and the family needs the $.

if it was my own gear I would list it super cheap (So I don’t get stroked to death) but I need to get as much $ as I can for this gear.

is it a good time to list everything on eBay for $1 no reserve, wait a week and ship?

I haven’t kept up with the recent online scams. I buy and sell a lot of stuff online for myself and have always had people come to my place to pick up (never had an issue)

Appreciate any help in advance. Not sure if this is the right time to list this stuff but I can’t wait till next season......Warren

Last edited:
Reactions: Shewillbemine

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
What’s the best way for me to sell some fishing gear?

The father in law is in bad health and the family needs the $.

if it was my own gear I would list it for mount super cheap (So I don’t get stroked to death) but I need to get as much $ as I can for this gear.

is it a good time to list everything on eBay for $1 no reserve, wait a week and ship?

I haven’t kept up with the recent online scams. I buy and sell a lot of stuff online for myself and have always had people come to my place to pick up (never had an issue)

Appreciate any help in advance. Not sure if this is the right time to list this stuff but I can’t wait till next season......Warren
I have sold plenty of gear on here ,
Just post it with a fare price ,
And put OBO, and see how it goes,
Just done deal with the low ballers.

Reactions: mrkrabs and bob1825

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Ebay can get you top dollar just keep in mind the fees.I've sold a few things here by looking at the "want to buy" ads.No problems yet.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Really depends on what it is, if it's semi vintage or old ebay is best.
7 day auction and have it end late afternoon early evening on Sunday. I've been selling some of my Penn collection lately and doing really well. Don't do rods, too much hassle.
Newer stuff here is good, face to face if possible

Reactions: jer dog

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Here is best.

eBay you'll be dealing with logistics you may not want to deal with.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
there is also craigslists but be careful...

WellFairFisher

Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
Is there a blue book for fishing gear like they have with guns? I don’t even know where to find a good starting price for this stuff.

With my own gear I normally go to eBay and watch an auction and see what it sells for. And list my gear for 20% less.

bajachild

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 13, 2005
so. cal
Name
mike
Boat
2019 Montauk 170
I think this place is best. I’d like to think most here are legit fish people. Craigslist seems like it would be a creepy lurkers playground. eBay has tons of fees and almost mandatory shipping. Here, no fees and most will pick up. Just my .02.

Reactions: pukahd

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
Nov 28, 2015
Tustin
Name
Croaker
Boat
Arima Sea Pacer
I had the best luck on Craigslist. Buyers on BD seem more savvy and looking to make a profit on what they buy.

I have sold some stuff on BD, but mostly to tackle resellers and rod wrappers.

Reactions: JK47 and plj46

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I had the best luck on Craigslist. Buyers on BD seem more savvy and looking to make a profit on what they buy.

I have sold some stuff on BD, but mostly to tackle resellers and rod wrappers.
Winner

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
I like selling rods and reels here on BDs because the buyers are somewhat “screened”, that is not 100% but most experiences are positive. You need to do some research on what the gear is really worth. Do not try to get top dollar, remember the objective is to sell the gear......price it a little below what other similar items recently sold for. Looking at eBay works, using the search function here works better. One thing I learned is only put up a few things at a time. It is overwhelming when you put up many.....very hard to 1) keep up with the questions, and 2) to keep all the PMs straight.

I recently sold 5 reels quickly for fair prices. If I was to do it again I would do 2 at a time, it was just too crazy to keep up.

Good luck.......

WellFairFisher

Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
Thanks for the replies, I know how hard it is to stay organized when your phone is blowing up with offers and your not sure what the person is even inquiring about.

I asked here what a Trinidad DC I had was worth. Was told it should sell for around $250-400. I put it on offer up and it was sold in 10 minutes for much more.

this is some of the reels that I need to get to work on. From senators full to the brim with power pro to what looks like an international 50.

6805A52E-FEC8-44BC-9012-A76C037290DF.jpeg

Reactions: finsane

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
I guess it depends how much of a hurry you are in. Offer up is ok if you don't mind all the nuckleheads. SDTT you will get about 40% of what they will sell it for, If you do have someone come out and appraise the gear don't sell it to them. I will send you a PM of someone who might be able to help.

WellFairFisher

Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
I know the gold Trini’s are a bit outdated but are any models worth more than the others? I think I have gold tn14-tn40 with some duplicates.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
If you want the most money possibly out of it, search each reel on eBay, click the sold listings. Then minus 10% as that's what the fees are and you will have a good idea of what each reel should fetch on the market. Maybe mark them 15% less to move quick.

Reactions: lougio

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
You need better pictures of each reel, and how much you would be will to sell then for. It would be tough to try and sell them all at one time.

WellFairFisher

Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
Roger, I’m going to go pick up the gear tomorrow and start going through it.

I know he has a bunch of “Graphite USA” rods, are these still considered “Premium”? Or are they considered older technology “Used to be good” rods? Those are going to be the hardest for me to price. In there prime they were the best blanks and “high tech” graphite rods.

WellFairFisher

Nov 4, 2003
O.C.
Name
Warren
Boat
13ft Whaler
And I got some messages but don’t remember or know how to find them to respond.