Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
I want to buy a new Wahoo reel. I have asked one of my friends and I just wanted to get a take on everyone out there. The price is not a factor to me. I am looking for a high end reel that can cast/bait fish for and double for yellowtail. I do like bait fishing more than tossing jigs.... call me lazy but don't call me late for dinner.... LOL I have the 40N.... and some old Newell reels that still work like a dream. I haven't been up to date on what is new and exciting on the market in the past few years. I fish the longer trips that go to the rocks.... HB bank and the buffer zone. I am leaving on a 16 day this Sat. and a new toy just might be fun. I was out last week on a 14 day and the Wahoo fishing was incredible.

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
I still think the 40n is the bomb...I also love the avet jx raptor..and the hxj raptor...

Not many reels are much better than the 40n.....if any....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jmeddy1

fishsticks
Sep 26, 2011
LA, CA
Name
Justin
Boat
the one that floats
Anything with 6:1 gear ratio is good. 2 speed not entirely necessary for wahoo, but you might want it for yellows. I'm bringing Accurate BX2 600N, BX2 500, BX2 400, and 665H for wahoo jigs and bombs for that same trip. For wahoo live bait setup I use Mak 10 SEa. Wound up catching a 156# YFT on that set up while fishing for wahoo, so I would say that's one heck of a reel...

Reactions: pukahd
Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
    On the Water
    Name
    Buck
    Boat
    sunk
    It's the JX Raptor w/cast control hands down and here's why. This reel will get over 20# of drag (mine gets 22) with free spool at strike. When you fill it with spectra and tie the spectra directly to the wire on your jig/bomb there is zero stretch. The advantage to this is when bit you can hit him with 20# of drag in an instant, this will drive the hook into the wahoo jaw. My experience has been it stops them dead in the water, sometimes the bigger models will run a short distance but they don't last long as wahoo are fast but unlike tuna, not powerful. Another advantage to the JX is it's 4 to 1 low gear. Normally you wouldn't drop into low on a wahoo but the 4 to 1 is still fast enough to keep up with the fish when he's close to the boat. As for yellow tail, I use the standard JX. You don't need Raptor drag for YT and a reel full of spectra is not the way to go. You need the stretch you get from mono to compensate for those head shakes.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    JX-6/3, 3:1 low, not 4:1, right?

Soda Pop, it was Fathoms for me; 30LD2 and 40NLD2, but bucks up guy like you, get the Torque.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Normslanding

Oct 13, 2010
    Palmetto, Fl., USA
    Name
    Dave Spangler
    Boat
    Blue Heaven
    I have a Andros A-12SIIa on order just to fish Whoo's, but the low gear also gives versatility. It is 6.4:1, and 48.4" of retrieve. It has a cast control that I find helpful with heavy's/bombs. 27lbs strike, and 34lbs full.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like star drags are a thing of the past other than the Penn Torque Star Drag Reels.

Reactions: arenpilav41
    Upvote 0

dh515

• Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like star drags are a thing of the past other than the Penn Torque Star Drag Reels.

But if you want a star drag, those are great reels. Much nicer than that gold reel that went south on you. :)

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    It's the JX Raptor w/cast control hands down and here's why. This reel will get over 20# of drag (mine gets 22) with free spool at strike. When you fill it with spectra and tie the spectra directly to the wire on your jig/bomb there is zero stretch. The advantage to this is when bit you can hit him with 20# of drag in an instant, this will drive the hook into the wahoo jaw. My experience has been it stops them dead in the water, sometimes the bigger models will run a short distance but they don't last long as wahoo are fast but unlike tuna, not powerful. Another advantage to the JX is it's 4 to 1 low gear. Normally you wouldn't drop into low on a wahoo but the 4 to 1 is still fast enough to keep up with the fish when he's close to the boat. As for yellow tail, I use the standard JX. You don't need Raptor drag for YT and a reel full of spectra is not the way to go. You need the stretch you get from mono to compensate for those head shakes.
    Tn40n gets 33# of drag

Upvote 0

qtrracer

Jan 17, 2010
    Simi Valley, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    none
    I like the JX raptor and the Baja Special. Something about that damn Baja Special keeps me using it.

Reactions: AKSalmon
    Upvote 0

Wicky Wicky

Wicky Wicky
    Aug 12, 2007
    Boise, ID
    Name
    Wicky
    Boat
    20' Allison GSE @ 99.4mph! Faster than a wahoo!
    Having caught 8 of the skinnies on this last trip with you Soda, my vote is the JX RAptor all the way. It will cast bait with no problem and fire off a bomb as good as any other reel. One thing I noticed/learned that substantially increased my percentage of fish brought to gaff on that killer, last day at the rocks was going from my 6480H to my 6470H. I'd like to add that, in my opinion, an HX Raptor is overkill as I caught my COW on my HXW and we know wahoo don't fight like cows.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Gibson wahoo1.JPG
    Penn fathom 15 Call ken corwin at kens reel in Oceanside lot of good responses

PENN's "15" size is indeed a pretty good "finesse" reel when bait fishing for wahoo, although probably a little small for all-around 'hoo applications.
    I usually set them up with a 25-yard topshot of 25-pound mono, over 40-pound braid to get some extra yardage.
    A big wahoo can scare you line capacity-wise, but it does not hurt the reel at all.
    Here's a big one caught on a Torque TRQ15b star drag [the black one] by a nice lady on our recent American Angler trip.

Reactions: Bondrvr
    Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
    Mar 28, 2013
    Encino, CA
    Name
    Pilav
    Boat
    No Boat
    I have never fished wahoo... But I do own Penn Torque reels, they are amazing, hands down the nicest reels on the market. You should try it out.

Upvote 0

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
    Feb 12, 2010
    Chula Vista
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    '99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
    Upvote 0

tunanorth