Jalberto3767

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 5, 2010
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
These feet were made for walking
Now I know some jigstick throw certain jigs better than others but I’m looking to get my first stick and want to know what the everyone’s opinion is on which stick will throw the biggest selection.

AWilliams

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
No self respecting jig chucker has only 1. I tried that approach and have over 12 now. No such thing as a do it all. It's like asking about comfy shoes...you gotta try a bunch out to see what feels good to YOU. I personally hate graphite jigsticks like Teramars and the like. Too stiff. I like more moderate actions like fiberglass has. I can do composites but it has to be the right one. I don't like the Seeker composites, they just don't fit my style (plus they are confusing as fuck..whole 'nother thread). Have at it and go try some. You'll figure it out as well as the reason you can't have just 1.

Do a search...there is probably more info here pound for pound on jigsticks than anything else.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I liked the CSJ100 wished i wouldn't have sold it.A Tady 45 was about as heavy a jig as it could handle.I also had a Seeker 530 that i sold and don't miss it.A Tady 45 was a little too light for that one IMO.A lot of it depends on what iron you're throwing,how strong you are and the size of the target fish.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
90J 93H are good for turning a fish heading for the rocks but don't cast well. 724 Harnell casts a country mile but not a lot of back bone. So something in the middle of all around jig throwing. Ulua 100H for heavy jigs maybe, F100 for the lighter ones. Then what material? A calstar glass 540 throws good and has power when you need it. Start with 5 or 6 and pick the one that fits the conditions

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
The rod will always be secondary to technique. I’d recommend starting with a modest length/moderate action, say 8’6” to 9’, and get to work on building the muscle memory. Go up or down from there. As most have stated—it’s hard to settle on just one. But it’s definitely easier to find what’s right for you once your fundamental jig casting skills are in place. And then, you’ll be able to make an informed decision on what works for you.
I remember casting a highly regarded Harnell once, and thinking, “this is the stupidest rod I’ve ever handled!”. To many, it’s a Holy Grail. Not for me, though...

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I broke my Seeker F100 (don’t ask, it wasn’t a fish) but that might have been the most versatile stick I had. Fished small jigs well but also handled yellows and bluefin to 75lbs pretty well.

I mostly fish UCs now, a ce1000wahoo is pretty good from JRI3 sizes jigs on up. A reaper isn’t a bad starter stick too, little faster than a traditional jigstick, but I like it. I also have a ce900delmar, nice stick but I don’t like the handle on it (my fault, I’m the wrapper).

Maybe I’m not that picky.

If you are fishing smaller jigs and smaller fish there are better options and if you are fishing bigger fish and bigger jigs there are sticks that match that scenario better. How fast they are and how heavy and how they feel in your hand is more a you decision than a blank’s flaw.

Reactions: zd583 and T.O.T.W.

Last Place

Well-Known "Member"
May 19, 2006
HB
Name
Ed
Boat
Cobra Tandem
I like the Calstar 100J. It loads up very nicely and has a progressive, parabolic bend. Some of the faster graphite rods feel like they “hinge” toward the tip of the blank and flick the jig like a booger rather that casting it. 90J is cool too.

Reactions: fcsd_christian

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
The rod will always be secondary to technique. I’d recommend starting with a modest length/moderate action, say 8’6” to 9’, and get to work on building the muscle memory. Go up or down from there. As most have stated—it’s hard to settle on just one. But it’s definitely easier to find what’s right for you once your fundamental jig casting skills are in place. And then, you’ll be able to make an informed decision on what works for you.
I remember casting a highly regarded Harnell once, and thinking, “this is the stupidest rod I’ve ever handled!”. To many, it’s a Holy Grail. Not for me, though...
I agree about the Harnell.

Reactions: T.O.T.W.

Paulo Grandez

Sep 28, 2014
Name
Paulo
Boat
N/A
The UC SIC rod should fit the bill. If you fish party boats then I suggest sticking with graphite or composite rods. Fiberglass rods need more room to get the full effect of the rod.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
It takes a little getting used to a Harnell. The upside is it doesn't take a lot of effort to bomb a good cast. The stiff jig sticks will wear you out after casting for a few hours. It's easy to over power a Harnell and waste energy, also it's better for casting at odd angles and having your feet planted right isn't so important. The trade off is it doesn't have the backbone to really yard on a fish.

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
Apr 1, 2019
San Diego
Name
Christian
Boat
14ft Valco
There’s so many jigsticks out there. You’ll undoubtedly end up with at least a few. but this is about your first one, so in my mind, Keep It Simple Stupid. You just can’t fuck it up with a factory wrapped 90j as your first stick. 10 footers have a higher learning curve, and will not be fun as your first or only stick. You want a 90j so that you can learn and progress and still have fun while you fish. It’s affordable, it’s versatile, it’s easy to cast, it’s a fiberglass rod, it has good fish fighting power and loads up great. What more do you want.

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Phenix hax 1009 hj is my fav to throw 187 jri and tady... it’s excels with bigger grade fish. Unfortunately I have a hard time finding it what it wants

Texastuna

Texastuna
Feb 19, 2006
Corpus Cristi Texas
Name
Jesse baker
Boat
Dolphin Express
Looking to add a 9-10 ft rod need help. I need rod in the #50-60 range.Softer tip lots of backbone.I throw Halco 130s to tuna.I’m in Texas so cant pull on blanks.

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
Dec 15, 2008
Menifee
Name
Scoot
Boat
18’ CC Baja
There’s so many jigsticks out there. You’ll undoubtedly end up with at least a few. but this is about your first one, so in my mind, Keep It Simple Stupid. You just can’t fuck it up with a factory wrapped 90j as your first stick. 10 footers have a higher learning curve, and will not be fun as your first or only stick. You want a 90j so that you can learn and progress and still have fun while you fish. It’s affordable, it’s versatile, it’s easy to cast, it’s a fiberglass rod, it has good fish fighting power and loads up great. What more do you want.
Great insight!