Best UV light for night fishing big bluefin?

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
Feb 22, 2021
Long Beach, Ca
Name
Ducks
Boat
None
Saw people using them to light up there flat falls that took about 8 seconds to glow. Unfortunately I never got a brand or a model number. I was just thankful they would let me glow mine for the trips I was on.

any feed back I would appreciate it. Thanks

Russo

Almost A Member
Aug 14, 2017
Wildomar
Name
Jon Russo
Boat
SS better luck next year
Home Depot sells cheap UV flashlights that do the trick. The best? Who knows.
Good enough for around $20 and not going to be the end of the world if it doesn't make it home? Home Depot........

Reactions: Ducksnpucks

klong60

Shoyu Slayers
Jun 27, 2020
Palos Verdes, California
Name
Koa
Boat
PhishFat
Saw people using them to light up there flat falls that took about 8 seconds to glow. Unfortunately I never got a brand or a model number. I was just thankful they would let me glow mine for the trips I was on.

any feed back I would appreciate it. Thanks
grab a white PVC Pipe and a buttcap with a diameter just bigger than the jig you want to use too. Youll thank me later.

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
Feb 22, 2021
Long Beach, Ca
Name
Ducks
Boat
None
Home Depot sells cheap UV flashlights that do the trick. The best? Who knows.
Good enough for around $20 and not going to be the end of the world if it doesn't make it home? Home Depot........

Awesome thanks Russo. I’m new to the night fishing game. Didn’t know if there was differences of flash light power and what not? Reliability? Waterproofing? Etc etc.

Definitely buying one with charge ability for my 3 dayers this year. Thanks again

Reactions: Russo

klong60

Shoyu Slayers
Jun 27, 2020
Palos Verdes, California
Name
Koa
Boat
PhishFat
Awesome thanks Russo. I’m new to the night fishing game. Didn’t know if there was differences of flash light power and what not? Reliability? Waterproofing? Etc etc.

Definitely buying one with charge ability for my 3 dayers this year. Thanks again
I personally used a USB-C powered one, so if I need to, I can plug it in to my portable rechargable battery.

Russo

Almost A Member
Aug 14, 2017
Wildomar
Name
Jon Russo
Boat
SS better luck next year

it seems like in my experience that the glow paint on the flat falls only glows for so long regardless. Say a minute or so. The moment you pull the off it’s really glowing but starts fading immediately. I don’t think the light makes that much of a difference. As long as it’s UV it will charge them up pretty quickly. If you could figure out how to get the paint to keep that charge for a few minutes you’d be onto something!

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
you got it! I call it the Flash bang
Wouldn't it work better if the inside were highly reflective of UV? I suspect that white PVC is pretty absorbent. In SLA 3D printing, the plastic is cured by exposure to UV (at a specific wavelength). After the object is printed, it needs to be exposed to UV to finish curing it. For that purpose, I built a "cure box", the interior of which was lined with mirror mylar. Works pretty well.

klong60

Shoyu Slayers
Jun 27, 2020
Palos Verdes, California
Name
Koa
Boat
PhishFat
Wouldn't it work better if the inside were highly reflective of UV? I suspect that white PVC is pretty absorbent. In SLA 3D printing, the plastic is cured by exposure to UV (at a specific wavelength). After the object is printed, it needs to be exposed to UV to finish curing it. For that purpose, I built a "cure box", the interior of which was lined with mirror mylar. Works pretty well.
Believe it or not, you dont really need it to be reflective, just enough area around the jig so the light can bounce around in there. Yes mylar is a suitable reflective material, ive also used tin foil. Just happens that it gets scratched up by hooks and what not.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Believe it or not, you dont really need it to be reflective, just enough area around the jig so the light can bounce around in there. Yes mylar is a suitable reflective material, ive also used tin foil. Just happens that it gets scratched up by hooks and what not.
When I said "reflective" what I meant was the ability to bounce light around rather than absorb it.

Reactions: tommysdad