Best travel rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Any suggestions for a quality telescoping or 3-4 piece spinning rod for 15-20 # work? I’m not that price sensitive, willing to pay for quality. Would be used for surf/ bay fishing on a planned trip to Bahia de Navidad.

2. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    The "best" ones would be those with ferrules. Blank on blank ones will work, just a bit delicate than the ferrule ones.

The usual suspects can be found here:
    https://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-Travel-Rods.htm

Lesser known candidates:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=tsunami+rod+travel&_sacat=0

Going with more $$$:
    https://www.tackledirect.com/g-loomis-escape-travel-rods.html
    http://www.fishermans-marine.com/daiwar-saltigar-g-spinning-boat-travel-rod.html

The one consistent brand that has telescopic and multi-piece rods is Balzer, but is hard to get in the U.S. The place in Pennsylvania that I was aware of and had bought from before shut down last year. All the current Google results are pointing to overseas vendors.

3. Tunaslayer

Tunaslayer Newbie

Name:
    Omar
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler
    Willdoggy likes this.
  4. 2tuna

2tuna Member

Name:
    Craig H
    Boat:
    le barge
    I really really like my Okuma Nomad 9' 4-piece stick. I've fished it in the East Cape, the Caribbean, the Coronados, Hawaii, hell, anywhere I might go - boats and beach. It's become my preferred shore rig here in Monterey Bay over my 1 and 2 piece options.

It's caught yellowtail, halis, false albies, stripers, roosters blah blah blah.

Casts well, fights fish well, just a great rod.

DoubletroubleII, esgeo and surfgoose like this.
  5. UnReel

UnReel Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    You couldn't say it anyway
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
    Spinning or Conventional ?

Conventional Id go with the following

Okuma NTxs-C 7114 H rated 12-25lb
    or
    Okuma NTxs-C 7114 XH rated 15-30lb

both are 4 pieces and are 7'-11' when put together.

Spinnnig I'd go with the

Okuma Nomad Surf NTS-S-904M 10 to 25 lb, 9 foot length
    or
    Okuma Nomad Surf NTS-S-1004MH 15 to 30 lb, 10 ft. length

6. BloodyL

BloodyL Throwing everything I got

Name:
    Mick
    Boat:
    The Beach
    I have had good luck with my charkbait rods in the east cape.

7. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, I’ll have time Saturday to check them out. I was sort of hoping to find something that will fit inside a suitcase rather than a separate bag to check so that will be a factor. Of course I could buy a bigger suitcase

8. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
  9. motoangler

motoangler Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    none
    I like the Okuma nomads. I've got 2 of the boat rods 1 spinning, 1 casting, and 1 surf. They've all performed great for their intended use. I wouldn't worry about the length of the case, never had a problem flying with them domestic or international. I just strap the case to my carry on and throw it in the overhead compartment.

10. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    The bummer with "travel" rods is that they are generally not short enough to fit in your luggage.

11. Normslanding

Normslanding I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dave Spangler
    Boat:
    Blue Heaven
    I have and use these rods a lot. I find myself using the Nomad Express rods even when I don't need travel rods. They are great bang for the buck.

Okuma NTxs-C 7114 H for 20lb
    Okuma NTxs-C 7114 XH for 30lb
    Okuma Nomad Surf NTS-S-904M
    Okuma Nomad Surf NTS-S-1004MH
    Also two NTx-703MH for 40 thru 60lb.

12. Tunaslayer

Tunaslayer Newbie

Name:
    Omar
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler
    The problem with most suitcases is that the dimensions are usually focused on wider rather than longer. Just remember you can usually get an extra inch or 2 putting the rod in diagonally vs. vertically.

Might want to consider a duffel bag if checking in. That’s where having a sturdy rod case helps. The Phenix is hard plastic and I believe so is the Okuma.

I have been able to carry on my redeye using an osprey backpack. The case sticks out a little on the top, but so far it has been fine. I saw fly fishing guys doing the same thing so I figured why not try. Depends on tsa and the airport/country if this will work.

13. Pescador Paul

Pescador Paul Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
  14. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    I have the following travel rods:

Nomad in M/MH for spinning reel - paired with a 8000 Thunnus

Nomad M/MH casting boat rod with a conventional reel

Nomad inshore spinning with a 2500 Daiwa BG

Daiwa Salita 3 piece travel 15-30lb

Daiwa Ardito 11 ft 4-5 piece trave surf rod rate at 15-30 with a 4000 sized reel

They are great but I’d say Okuma has the better service. I use my travel rods like the other poster as a regular rod. With a lifetime warranty, it’s hard not too.

15. stank

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    If the travel rod had a good hard case you can stretch-wrap it/them to the outside of your suitcase and long as you are not overweight or size. I do this with the Lamaglass travel rods I have. Wrapped together they only count as one piece...

Be sure to take a roll of wrap with you for the return trip if you are not sure you will be able to get it.

16. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Can’t say what is the best rod necessary, but I have gotten really good use out of okuma nomad xpress inshore MH rods

https://m.tackledirect.com/okuma-ntxi-s-703mh-nomad-xpress-inshore-spinning-travel-rod.html

They are cheap enough that I fish one for a couple of years and then leave it in Mexico with my panguero friend. The first one I had I used for surf perch in CA, throwing jigs from a panga down in Mexico, and surf and inshore fishing on the Florida panhandle. The action is more like a popping rod in my opinion, but you can definitely pull on them like you would any 20# stick without fearing it breaking. One of my buddies on our last trip locked down the drag on a skippie and managed to strip the gear in the reel without breaking the rod.

The biggest issue I have encountered is the euro style ferrules can get hard to separate in some cases (mostly the bottom two sections) or the tip can go flying. I’ve read that a little chapstick or something like that helps with the lower joint sticking. Conversely, after lots of casting without checking the rod, or while trying to get unhung, I’ve accidentally sent the tip sailing a couple of times. Once this led to quite a few urchin spines in my foot while trying to recover the tip section before I had to break the line, but I’m pretty sure I was already daydrinking when this happened so don’t let that dissuade you.

Here’s a video of my brother on a small skippie with one of these rods, so you can at least see the action.

Attached Files:

17. NextMikeSays

NextMikeSays Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    No boat
    The non expresss version has a life time warranty

18. Shimano Penn

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Thanks so much for all the replies. Most of these rods are less expensive than I thought they would be, and figuring that there would be "show special" sales going on over the weekend I stopped by Charkbait Saturday and pulled on the two Toro Tamer Surf Explorer rods they had in stock. For $137 OTD I just went ahead and bought the heavier version allegedly rated 30-50 and just under 9 feet. It's a 4 piece rod with hard case. I had looked at the Okuma's a week earlier but they (FL) only had the 7' rods and I didn't like the soft case.
    As for a reel I am planning to try it with my Penn Slammer 3 5500 as a starting point. I have reels (up and down) from there I can experiment with if needed.

BloodyL likes this.
  19. stank

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None

How long is the outside of the case?

20. Charles_Sterlin

Charles_Sterlin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Charles
    Boat:
    23' Pursuit and 28' Slickcraft resto mod
    I like the Nomad rods too....have fished them in the Maldives, Portugual and Florida....they work well but the models i own are a bit short for casting....really made of high end hardware.

Bought two of the Travel Charkbait rods....and i was unimpressed.

I shrapneled one of the Charkbait inshore rods and gave the other away. It was an offshore spinner as a broom stick with an okay action tip piece that fit into the middle section resulting in a dead connecting section.

Here is what is inside my suitcase now. My next trip is to Ixtapa in April and wrapped so i can use a spinner or conventional.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/ultimate-road-warrior.710496/