Best tasting Southern California game fish?

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Side bar. Not so cal

Gray triggers for ceviche

Black ocean snook aka robalo. There are a few types. The black ocean snook is incredible. And costs more per kilo then most other fish besides fireahi grade

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
I had stinkfin this morning, was great.

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
Side bar. Not so cal

Another sidebar - sablefish, AKA black cod. The kitchen has been serving it regularly up on the North Slope where I work - effing amazing. Baked. Swimming in fish oil. Would love to get some to smoke.
And since I'm sidebarring into AK waters, deep fried yelloweye rockfish and lingcod. Better than halibut.
But smoked? King salmon bellies. Heaven baby.

Reactions: ZZZZZ
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Did not like eating fish the first 20 years of fishing. Paps traumatized me having to clean fish at home since he would send me out to bring him back fish, not paying to clean it also. Head and all for soup. Gill and gut and remove scales. Blend fillets and make fish balls.

My brother in high school. Cooked ling on super high heat. Marinaded in Italian dressing. Flipped once then fresh grated parm on top. So good. As easy as it gets

This tropical rockfish, Made me like fish. Ocean Whitefish also 😋

Pontinus
1208251_b756f7c47b8dc1b8607709535a5c07fc.jpg
1189322_aa62e2db0b6586e5f7e17417fb8cc6ba (1)~2.jpg

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
People tell me, "It's so ugly!" Lingcod, halibut, those crazy rockfishes. I think they are fucking beautiful. And damned tasty! Maybe they look scary to keep you from eating them.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Personal fav

Given the choice of 20 mounts. All bottom fish or all pelagics. I would choose bottom fish

First mount. Was a 9lb sandbass skin mount. Attached to a wood board with reef rock, red so cal fan corral, seashells, and beach sand. Super cool. Like a museum creating the environment

Next skin mount. Was a legal bsb from Mexico. Elementary school. On my bedroom wall with the sandbass below it LOL

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Did not like eating fish the first 20 years of fishing. Paps traumatized me having to clean fish at home since he would send me out to bring him back fish, not paying to clean it also. Head and all for soup. Gill and gut and remove scales. Blend fillets and make fish balls.

My brother in high school. Cooked ling on super high heat. Marinaded in Italian dressing. Flipped once then fresh grated parm on top. So good. As easy as it gets

This tropical rockfish, Made me like fish. Ocean Whitefish also 😋

Pontinus
View attachment 1115258View attachment 1115259
That’s a fucking pokemon

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Treefish mount! Wouldn't cost much either

Yah and great motivation. Wake up looking at fish caught sportfishing. Come home looking at the fish again. Go to sleep looking at fish wondering exactly how the bite occurred

If I had kids that were genuinely interested in fishing. I would mount some of thier first trophies

BSB eat sandbass

Reactions: CommanderPinhead
Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Treefish mount! Wouldn't cost much either

Yah and great motivation. Wake up looking at fish caught sportfishing. Come home looking at the fish again. Go to sleep looking at fish wondering exactly how the bite occurred

If I had kids that were genuinely interested in fishing. I would mount some of thier first trophies

BSB eat sandbass
Biggest one I’ve handlined was on a 10in calico...

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    No particular order of what I like.

Kelp Bass. Taste is better than rockfish.
    Yellowtail.
    Barracuda
    Yellowfin
    I can't eat Bluefin due to medical issues no can say.

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    Bleed immediately. Don't ice until all blood is stopped. Cut bloodline out. Brine if you like to firm it up.. Tastes more like pork. Very delicious and delicate fish. I have seen parasites usually in all fish. I don't see any in cuda. Egg wash, dip and cook. Doesn't matter when u make fish tacos style anyways.

Reactions: CommanderPinhead
    Upvote 0