Best tasting Southern California game fish?

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
#1 anchovy
#2 sardine
#3 mackerel
#4 squid
No. I am not crazy. I know none of you agree with me. only my wife and all the game fish agree with me. if you taste my wife cook any of these,you will agree with me. her co worker willing to pay $5 per mackerel. but it have to be fresh not from super market.
we love the squid so much. back in 2014 I we caught a full boat of jumbo squid. we count it 237 jumbo squid average 5lb. almost sung my boat. if I lie I die.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I'm with you on the squid, not sure about the others. How do you cook mackerel so it doesn't taste like shit?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Dip it into a wasabi soy mixture that is the texture of mud. Is one way

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
#1 anchovy
#2 sardine
#3 mackerel
#4 squid
No. I am not crazy. I know none of you agree with me. only my wife and all the game fish agree with me. if you taste my wife cook any of these,you will agree with me. her co worker willing to pay $5 per mackerel. but it have to be fresh not from super market.
we love the squid so much. back in 2014 I we caught a full boat of jumbo squid. we count it 237 jumbo squid average 5lb. almost sung my boat. if I lie I die.
None of those are game fish,they're bait.

Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Haha lots of good responses here! How about treefish? I used to love those things pretty tasty!

Upvote 0

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
    la
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    goldfish
    I'm with you on the squid, not sure about the others. How do you cook mackerel so it doesn't taste like shit?
    I don't know how my wife cook it. she braised for an hour with some kind of herbs and spices. taste like the can mackerel, or sardine, but only 100 times better.

Reactions: Azarkon
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I don't know how my wife cook it. she braised for an hour with some kind of herbs and spices. taste like the can mackerel, or sardine, but only 100 times better.

Just eat the spices and herbs and throw out the bait...uh fish....just kidding, I would try it...

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sep 22, 2003
    San Diego,Ca
    Name
    Derek
    Boat
    complicated
    Local fish....Seared YFT

But my all time favorite fish Is Dogtooth snapper

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I'm not knocking the secret recipe.

Just don't eat our panamanian brumas feet. The other feet are fare game but this one is special.

10-15 fresh eggs every morning :D from the nest boxes

IMG-20171230-WA0009(1).jpg

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    That is one way to prepare yourself to make certain fish. Taste better

Its a type of food rigging

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks

You marinate anything long enough and it's gonna taste decent. Have your wife use the same recipes on gamefish next time. You might be wondering why you've been eating bait all this time afterwards. lol

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

itsmemustard

Almost A Member
    Jul 2, 2018
    long beach, ca
    Name
    itsmemustard
    Boat
    none
    If we are all ready eating the bait I mine as well start chowing down on my surface iron I mean when I bought it is said scrambled eggs on the sticker so it must be tasty.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    It's not that there aren't better alternatives that are easy to catch, but I'm always looking for redeeming qualities in "trash" fish. Mackerel have so much meat in them, it'd be nice to find a way to cook them that doesn't result in cat food.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    #1 anchovy
    #2 sardine
    #3 mackerel
    #4 squid
    Yes. Pickled mackerel and market squid..........good stuff.

Upvote 0

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
    la
    Name
    Lee
    Boat
    goldfish
    You marinate anything long enough and it's gonna taste decent. Have your wife use the same recipes on gamefish next time. You might be wondering why you've been eating bait all this time afterwards. lol
    yes, I make her try tuna, yellow tail, sturgeon, all kind of bass. the meat come out too dry. I think the mackerel taste good because it have a lot of oil.

Reactions: Jigslinger
    Upvote 0