Best tasting fish

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Of just what we can actually catch hook and line or spearfishing in local and Baja waters:

Albacore, California king salmon (only other place's king I've tried fresh caught is Alaskan and it PALES in comparison), wahoo are probably the top three, for me they win out because they're all excellent raw, cooked in the usual ways, smoked and canned. Very few fish are so versatile you can do all those and it's amazing.

YFT (any size) and BFT (over 80lbs and especially over 120) are right there too as they're excellent raw, grilled and smoked but just don't measure up in canning. Wahoo doesn't can super well either but it gets a pass for just being such a bitchin fish. They fall just barely short of albacore.

There are plenty of amazing fish lurking just below that tippy top from YFT/BFT, the various grouper/snappers, halibut, wsb, black cod, trigger, jawfish (people will forget that one and many haven't tried it, but goodnight is it delicious), AJ, swordfish, opah, louvar

Then there's the next rung that to me aren't in that elite class but still taste great and sure, some get bonus points for being fun to target and catch. This is where I put rockfish, bonito (would be in the next tier up solely on raw and canned quality, but loses a little for versatility), skippy, YT (fish from certain years and certain times of year with higher fat content can be pushing up into the next tier), mahi, sculpin, lingcod (one of the best fish to fry around, but too soft to do much else with), sierra, cabezon, spotifn/corbina, striper, sand dab and believe it or not, giant kelpfish, squid, mako (again losing a lot of points for versatility).

Then there's the mid grades. Calico and sand bass, sargo, bocaccio, spanish mack, humboldt squid, blacksmith perch.

Finally you have the fish that are just above trash fish. Sheephead, lookin directly at you, you mushy, smelly, overrated thing. Black and barred surfperch. Rock wrasse. Greenling. I'll put mackerel here since I actually do like it when cured in salt and vinegar and used for sushi, but that's the only purpose for it besides bait. Opaleye maybe don't deserve quite as bad a rap as they get, fried up they're not much different.

Then you got the trash fish, zebra perch, halfmoon, roosterfish, skin-piss sharks and rays, pile/rubberlip perch.

I'm sure there's several things from each tier I'm forgetting.

25 years I've been fishing these waters and it's kinda crazy but I've never bothered to try barracuda. Or thresher (never caught one). Never tried any shark or ray besides mako, actually, which was great grilled as advertised. Heard angel is great and sevengill/soupfin decent.

Some non locals I've had that were amazing include chilean seabass and alfonsino.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Pulaski, TN (look it up)
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Rabid fish...

I think you are wrong about sheephead!
Best ceviche fish in the ocean!

"Finally you have the fish that are just above trash fish. Sheephead, lookin directly at you, you mushy, smelly, overrated thing."

Last edited:
Rabid Fish
Rabid Fish
It is decidedly not the best ceviche fish in the ocean. Triggerfish and sierra destroy it, and for local fish halibut and rockfish are much better too.

Covering a fish in lime juice until that's all you can taste is a perfect thing to do... to a trash fish... to make it edible.

To each his own but I'll take a lightly limed ceviche made with any other higher grade fish I listed over fully-acidified sheephead
Upvote 0
A
Al B.Fishing
Sheepshead are very important under the water more than table spin we put on them like Poor mans Lobster and such One fish we should throw back and understand why
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
OPAH!!

Not sure which cut/part of the fish I was eating…..but it was by far the best tasting fish I’ve ever eaten in my life.

tuner
tuner
The toploin (just behind the head) of the Opah that I caught was some of the best sashimi I have eaten. It looked like lean red tuna but the texture was buttery smooth.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Xue

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Xue
Boat
None
Mackerel, salmon/trout.

But in Asian cooking, all are good.

There's more to cooking than the grill with butter.

Reactions: Tifoso
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Of just what we can actually catch hook and line or spearfishing in local and Baja waters:

Albacore, California king salmon (only other place's king I've tried fresh caught is Alaskan and it PALES in comparison), wahoo are probably the top three, for me they win out because they're all excellent raw, cooked in the usual ways, smoked and canned. Very few fish are so versatile you can do all those and it's amazing.

YFT (any size) and BFT (over 80lbs and especially over 120) are right there too as they're excellent raw, grilled and smoked but just don't measure up in canning. Wahoo doesn't can super well either but it gets a pass for just being such a bitchin fish. They fall just barely short of albacore.

There are plenty of amazing fish lurking just below that tippy top from YFT/BFT, the various grouper/snappers, halibut, wsb, black cod, trigger, jawfish (people will forget that one and many haven't tried it, but goodnight is it delicious), AJ, swordfish, opah, louvar

Then there's the next rung that to me aren't in that elite class but still taste great and sure, some get bonus points for being fun to target and catch. This is where I put rockfish, bonito (would be in the next tier up solely on raw and canned quality, but loses a little for versatility), skippy, YT (fish from certain years and certain times of year with higher fat content can be pushing up into the next tier), mahi, sculpin, lingcod (one of the best fish to fry around, but too soft to do much else with), sierra, cabezon, spotifn/corbina, striper, sand dab and believe it or not, giant kelpfish, squid, mako (again losing a lot of points for versatility).

Then there's the mid grades. Calico and sand bass, sargo, bocaccio, spanish mack, humboldt squid, blacksmith perch.

Finally you have the fish that are just above trash fish. Sheephead, lookin directly at you, you mushy, smelly, overrated thing. Black and barred surfperch. Rock wrasse. Greenling. I'll put mackerel here since I actually do like it when cured in salt and vinegar and used for sushi, but that's the only purpose for it besides bait. Opaleye maybe don't deserve quite as bad a rap as they get, fried up they're not much different.

Then you got the trash fish, zebra perch, halfmoon, roosterfish, skin-piss sharks and rays, pile/rubberlip perch.

I'm sure there's several things from each tier I'm forgetting.

25 years I've been fishing these waters and it's kinda crazy but I've never bothered to try barracuda. Or thresher (never caught one). Never tried any shark or ray besides mako, actually, which was great grilled as advertised. Heard angel is great and sevengill/soupfin decent.

Some non locals I've had that were amazing include chilean seabass and alfonsino.
I agree on the sheepshead,mushy flavorless and no texture.Kind of like a blob of white Jello.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica
Name
Brad Baron
Boat
Royal Polaris
132777-1167246466-272b254390cf231bc4491505e3932e69 (2).jpg

Upvote 0