Best size "Longer Length" Rod for Lure Launching?

What Length is best

• 8'-9'

Votes: 88 79.3%
  • 10'-11'

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • 12'-13'

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 14'

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Upvote 0

plainsman

plainsman
Apr 15, 2010
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Tim
Boat
none
Rod action will have something to do with castability, practice and lure wt will make a difference too. I've seen deckhands launch surface iron halfway to china with a 6-7' rod. For me the right rod action depends on how much wt I'm throwin. I have about a 8' carrot stick that casts like one of my spinning reels but with 1/2 oz wt, couldn't do that with a heavy wt. Being familiar with the combo and practice will probably do more than length. JMO

Upvote 0

alwaysbendo

Jun 28, 2007
El segundo
Name
Vinnnnn
Boat
23' seacraft
depending on the lure you want to throw, i asume surface iron, a calstar 800m or 850m would work well. i have a 9' calico special with a large bait casting reel that i can a 1oz spoon 150 yards with. you can put together a nice spinning combo on a 8' graphite rod that the kids can use also!i'm sure you could borrow any combo you want from the guys here on bd before you buy it.
BS maybe 80 yards

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
i put a 150 yard spool of 30# braid on it and i can hit the knot. 20 ' above the water and a 1 oz mann-o-lure. caught lots of tailwater stripers with this rig!

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
I'm thinking about buying some longer Rods to really launch some lures out there this summer from my boat...I'm not going to troll with these so I'm wondering what the best longer length rod and brand would be for a heavy lure or bait caster? my longest rod now is 7.5...
You mention heavy lure and bait, you don't need a long rod for that, What's the rod you have now? Could be you just need a lighter rod, e.g., 7.5', 30-50# vs 7.5', 15-30#, with a lighter rated rod you can throw similar weighted baits longer than heavier rods. Maybe a lighter rod would do.
I love the long rods, 9' - 10'3" for throwing plugs off the bow of sportfishers, however on private boats, I limit myself to 8' because of the limited room you have.
Right now I am playing with a Phenix Hybrid 838MH, 20-40#, its light weight, light tipped enough to launch the lighter Tady Cs and Salas 6X liteswith enough balls to pull on yellowtail and nice sized tuna.
You want to throw it farther, then go spinner, also kid friendly, just sayin'

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Another question for you guys...do you us your F.C. leaders more than one fishing trip? 2 trips? if they show no wear, how many times do you re-use your leaders?

Upvote 0

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Another question for you guys...do you us your F.C. leaders more than one fishing trip? 2 trips? if they show no wear, how many times do you re-use your leaders?
Good question!
However, this question deserves its own thread, otherwise its burried here.

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
Upvote 0