Best size "Longer Length" Rod for Lure Launching?

What Length is best

• 8'-9'

Votes: 88 79.3%
  • 10'-11'

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • 12'-13'

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 14'

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
I'm thinking about buying some longer Rods to really launch some lures out there this summer from my boat...I'm not going to troll with these so I'm wondering what the best longer length rod and brand would be for a heavy lure or bait caster? my longest rod now is 7.5...I've heard mixed reviews from 8' all the way up to 14'...also, 2 pieces or 1 make a lot of difference other than knocking it down for easier carry/storage or does it make it a weaker rod?...pros and cons? I saw this guy using a 13' rod to launch is bait the other day for yellowtail, and I asked him about it, he said he would go even longer...but how much weight would it take for that rod to snap? he definitely got his bait out further than anyone else...

Upvote 0

YANK N CRANK #2

Proud Wyoming Resident
Feb 28, 2006
God's Country, Wyoming
Name
Jason
Boat
27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
Debi,

I have no idea what lures you want to launch or how big your boat is.. But I for most things local, I favor rods in the 8 foot range... I also own 8.5 footers, a 9 footer and a 10 footer... Pretty much everything over 8 feet in my arsenal is used for casting surface iron... Anything above 10 feet becomes very impractical unless you're surf fishing..

In terms of two piece rods.. I own a few of those to save space when camping.. Otherwise I prefer 1 piece rods..

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
You would have trouble with anything more then 8.5 feet long...I don't own a rod longer then 8 foot and i'm 6 ' 1".Your short casts if directed where the birds are looking will be long enough.

Others may have different opinions.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Long rods are bitchen for gaining distance no doubt, but once you hook a slug you will pay the price so to speak.

The longer the rod = generally more distance achieved.

The longer the rod also = a tougher/ longer and more painful fight for you..... some dig this challenge though.

For what you want to do on your private boat I would stick with an 8' to 9' max rod. Longer than that becomes a hassell in transport and storage.

The really long rods 10' plus are kinda a novelty and fun, and normally seen more with the long range guys.

Good luck.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Long rods are bitchen for gaining distance no doubt, but once you hook a slug you will pay the price so to speak.

The longer the rod = generally more distance achieved.

The longer the rod also = the tougher the fight you will feel.

For what you want to do on your private boat I would stick with an 8' to 9' max rod. Longer than that becomes a hassell in transport and storage.

The really long rods 10' plus are kinda a novelty and fun, and normally seen more with the long range guys.

Good luck.

thats what I was wondering...this guy swears by the 13' rod, and he did say he's a 10+ day long range fisherman...so I was curious about the control and stability...and he can't be catching tiny fish 10 days out...

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
Debi if I'm tossing light surface lures then I'll use an 8 or 8.5 but if they are heavier I'll use 9 or 10 which is a little stiffer too. I like some flex in the 8 for getting some power out of that arc.

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
depending on the lure you want to throw, i asume surface iron, a calstar 800m or 850m would work well. i have a 9' calico special with a large bait casting reel that i can a 1oz spoon 150 yards with. you can put together a nice spinning combo on a 8' graphite rod that the kids can use also!i'm sure you could borrow any combo you want from the guys here on bd before you buy it.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
depending on the lure you want to throw, i asume surface iron, a calstar 800m or 850m would work well. i have a 9' calico special with a large bait casting reel that i can a 1oz spoon 150 yards with. you can put together a nice spinning combo on a 8' graphite rod that the kids can use also!i'm sure you could borrow any combo you want from the guys here on bd before you buy it.

thanks, I think I'm going to go with the 9'..I did end up buying a smaller low-profile bait casting reel for my son, and putting it on a longer lightweight rod because he struggles a bit when its any deeper than 50' combined with anything over a 6 ounce sinker, he gets burned out pretty quick... especially on the cattle boats with deeper fishing depths, that combo did the trick, I don't have to help him reel it up anymore and he enjoys being able to do it all by himself...

Upvote 0

Jaydog

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 18, 2005
San Diego
Name
Jay
Boat
Mako 19'
Debs, please borrow some sticks from the guys on BD and goto the bay everyday for at least a couple weeks before or after work and practice for an hour. There are lots of hangups on small boats that limit the size rod you can use and basically you can move your damn boat. On a sport boat when you are on the anchor you can't just move so every extra foot you can get counts.

Start with an 800m and work your way up but seriously a 90j is a heck of alot of rod for a young lady, I mean you will be overwhelmed with it's size and weight. Most private boaters would have no fucking clue what to do with a 90j.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Debs, please borrow some sticks from the guys on BD and goto the bay everyday for at least a couple weeks before or after work and practice for an hour. There are lots of hangups on small boats that limit the size rod you can use and basically you can move your damn boat. On a sport boat when you are on the anchor you can't just move so every extra foot you can get counts.

Start with an 800m and work your way up but seriously a 90j is a heck of alot of rod for a young lady, I mean you will be overwhelmed with it's size and weight. Most private boaters would have no fucking clue what to do with a 90j.

ok thanks...I have friends down at the marina I can borrow a few rods from..I'm 5'7" with pretty good strength for a girl..;) and I kick into super human strength when the bigger fish hit my lure LOL..but your right, I will try before I buy...I was just curious about those longer length rods..it's nice to have a variety but I'm only going to buy a single longer rod...I'm overloaded with the shorter rods..

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
I don't recommend any setup, but I'll lone you my j90 with the Newell. It has 80 lb spectra on it with a 2ft topshot of mono.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
I don't recommend any setup, but I'll lone you my j90 with the Newell. It has 80 lb spectra on it with a 2ft topshot of mono.

I'm looking for a temporary wet slip down in S.D for a couple of months, I'll let you know when I'm set up down there, and hit you up to borrow your setup, thanks again!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC

Perfectly said!

Private boats are tough to use a long rod on.... lots of things to get in the way, t-tops, rods sticking out from rocket launchers, other anglers. The bow is about the best place to sling the iron on most private boats.

Your kid is stoked....... good luck.

Upvote 0

golfneveresq

Apr 18, 2006
costa mesa, ca.
Name
randy
Boat
never again
What Glenn said. You aren't surf casting to beat the breakers. I have 9 footers I RARELY use. I use an 8' with either a saltiga or my hot rod trinidad, which we souped up at Glenn's in Costa Mesa. Smooth, smooth and more smooth is the key to casting happiness.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
I had things going pretty smooth until the day I lost a WSB and a T-shark in the kelp within and hour...so I took all my baitcaster's and loaded then up with various strengths of braid...not as smooth of a cast now..I gave up the smoothability for strength...just looking for a happy medium..

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
8' er with your choice of reel. Practice practice practice. I have several over 8 that I don't/can't use on my boat due to things already described. My boat is very similar in stature as yours. If using a longer rod go up to the bow and play.

Max.

Upvote 0

babachu

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 9, 2008
Seal Beach
Name
David
Boat
None
For throwing plastics with a baitcaster, I typically use a 7'6" - 8' graphite or composite rod (keep it light)-for light iron the same setup works well-for heavy or surface iron I like 9' or 10' rods (also composite-light as possible) for calicos or barracuda or other fish on the smaller end-if you're primarily fishing yellowtail, tuna or large wsb the 9' + rods will kick your butt-even an 8'r will give you a pretty good workout on a big fish- most of your longer 9' or 10' rods are going to be glass so just slinging iron all day on it, while fun, will take it's toll-just my .02

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Deb,when you come down I'll let you try my Seeker G6485 8 1/2' with a Trinidad 20. If I were you I would stick with an 8'er though. You should know that just because you have a Big Rod it dosen't me you know how to use it.
icon12.gif

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
Deb,when you come down I'll let you try my Seeker G6485 8 1/2' with a Trinidad 20. If I were you I would stick with an 8'er though. You should know that just because you have a Big Rod it dosen't me you know how to use it.
icon12.gif

I'm not the weak girl people might perceive me to be..:_smack_:

Upvote 0