Best Sidescan intro video I've found

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    If you're like me, and never confident that you really understand what you're seeing on the sidescan display, check out this video. Best explanation I've seen so far.

For starters, the numbers to across the top only "sort of" indicate distance off to the side of the boat. They do indicate side, but the distance is the distance from the transducer to the echo. It is not the horizontal distance on the seabed from the spot directly below your boat to the mark. The first light edge of the dark center band is directly beneath your boat, not 30ft (or whatever) off to the side. Maybe I'm the only one, but this video finally made light bulbs go off in my head and wanted to share.

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    If you're like me, and never confident that you really understand what you're seeing on the sidescan display, check out this video. Best explanation I've seen so far.

For starters, the numbers to across the top only "sort of" indicate distance off to the side of the boat. They do indicate side, but the distance is the distance from the transducer to the echo. It is not the horizontal distance on the seabed from the spot directly below your boat to the mark. The first light edge of the dark center band is directly beneath your boat, not 30ft (or whatever) off to the side. Maybe I'm the only one, but this video finally made light bulbs go off in my head and wanted to share.

I have yet to figure mine out after 5 years!! btw Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing. ( other than chatting up a hottie sitting next to you in a bar)

• Haha
    Reactions: Charts
    Upvote 0