1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    Looking to get on my very first bluefin, have been trying and trying. Last summer I went on the NLA a little late and hopped on a paddy, this year I want to try for an overnight or 1.5 day. So far most of the boats are booked but still am looking. I’m thinking the old glory for an overnight maybe?

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Looking to get on my very first bluefin, have been trying and trying. Last summer I went on the NLA a little late and hopped on a paddy, this year I want to try for an overnight or 1.5 day. So far most of the boats are booked but still am looking. I’m thinking the old glory for an overnight maybe?
    Check out the Poseidon out of H&M ,
    Hunter is fishy.

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
    Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat Name
    340Z SeaVee
    Get a buddy to go with you and take a 4 pack.
    These guys are killers besides the other highliners.
    https://luckybsportfishing.com/

Reactions: Kh1983 and Lucky B
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    ....laughing. Like asking a poker player... which card is his favorite. Seek the knowledge of those who came before you.... try your "SEARCH" function. Nine million post...on which is best. Jump in any where you want Brother...

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Condor was on em pretty good too.
    Maybe some dates/spots open FYI

Upvote 0

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat Name
    Seacraft 20
    Pacific Queen… I’ve been on many and had good experiences with most but hands down the PQ is pinnacle of the working man class boats…

Reactions: Pjstevko and Koyote
    1Matthew
    1Matthew
    My buddies also recommended this boat. Is it a long range boat?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Russo

Aug 14, 2017
    Wildomar
    Name
    Jon Russo
    Boat Name
    If that's what you want to call it
    Pacific Queen is Great. Usually booked up basically immediately once the schedule is open.
    Poseidon is good. Very clean nice boat.
    The OG, The Aztec, The Mustang, the New Lo An, the Producer.... So many to chose from. I can't say I've had a bad experience on an SD boat. At least not at the boat or crews expense.
    In reality they all get it done on any given day. Since I am assuming you are somewhat new to this there will be a learning curve regardless. A lot of people tend to find a boat they like and are comfortable on a stick with it.
    Steve on the Mustang goes hard after it and if you don't mind his frank delivery of information you will get a first rate education in what you are doing right or wrong. The subtle differences make a big difference with BFT.

Reactions: Steel Seeker 40
    1Matthew
    1Matthew
    This will only be my second time out at the SD fleet, I’m usually sticking to the boats around Channel Islands. I’ll make sure to look at the boats most are filled
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    Torrance, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    La Reina
    Over the past 2 years, I have fished over 20 different boats. Sometimes you just gotta jump in and start swimming. You will find out what boats you like and what boats you don’t. You will find out what things you like and what things you don’t. It’s really the only way to arrive at the answer that is best for you. So start booking trips and start fishing. It won’t take too long. You’ll figure it out. Have fun!

Reactions: Koyote
    Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    ....laughing. Like asking a poker player... which card is his favorite. Seek the knowledge of those who came before you.... try your "SEARCH" function. Nine million post...on which is best. Jump in any where you want Brother...
    Exactly, He needs to ask himself, What are you looking for boat wise, Do you want luxury, a boat that kills the fish, type of food, number of passengers, does it have bunks or staterooms, etc. I could go on and on, He needs to narrow it down from their and pick a boat. Just because one person likes the boat, doesn't mean the next guy will!!! The Islander is a good all around boat.

1Matthew
    1Matthew
    Specifically looking with a boat with less passengers and a boat that kills fish, my father who I go out with every trip really wanted a yt but did not get one, this trip I want it to be all about him. All the help he can get
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Check your PM (mail).

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    Best chances are with 2 1/2 day - 3 1/2 day trips when the BFT are in local waters. Last year from May until the wind shut everything down I fished pretty much every other week with great success. There are tons of great boats in SD that will give you a chance at the BFT but realistically the longer you are on the water the better your chances are. This year I've booked 12 trips so far and a few still have spots LMK if you want to join me. Ohh BTW I'm not one that likes to go on boats for creature comforts I like to go fish so I pick boats that have produced for me in the past.

Reactions: 1Matthew and Koyote
    Upvote 0

alexnieves

Almost A Member
    Jul 29, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat Name
    None
    The Pacific Queen trip I'm on still has a few spots open. That's a 1.5 day leaving May 1.

I sleep like rock and don't really care about creature comforts, so I plan my trips purely based on the boats that kill fish.

Here's a cool feature on Sportfishing Report that shows you the number of fish caught and fish per angler by species. Gives you a general sense of how individual boats did last year. This list does not include every boat or all of the trips each of them ran, so keep that in mind: https://www.sportfishingreport.com/ytd/year/2021/species/25/bluefin-tuna.php

W
    woodfish330
    Nice link.... and good info to have. Thanks for sharing Brother.
    Upvote 0
    ChoeMan
    ChoeMan
    when you get older your point of view will change i used to say the same thing like you but I got older make more $ so I like comfortable boats w/ nice state rooms that serves gourmet food
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Pjstevko

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 12, 2015
    Three Rivers California
    Name
    PJ Stevko
    Boat Name
    N/A
    Pacific Queen 1.5 day trips!
    Any trip longer is already booked. There's a reason this boat is fully booked already. They catch more bft than any other boat in the fleet by a lot.....

You could also look at the Condor and New Lo Ann, both very fishy boats

Upvote 0

Prince

Almost A Member
    Sep 25, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Prince
    Boat Name
    None
    Not trying to hijack this post but I am looking to catch my first bft this year and besides the day boats and with all the traffic from sfv to sd, I can hardly make it to any of the landings before 9pm departure on a Friday. It sucks

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat Name
    Vagbond
    Stay at one of the motels at the landing the night before (I use the Ramada). Roll the dock cart straight to your car and load up and go in the morning.

Upvote 0