Best scope for Remington 700?

Tacalarav

Apr 13, 2022
NJ
Name
Dave
Boat Name
Albury Brothers 23
"An optical sight is such a magical tube with lenses, looking into which you feel optimism from one side, and looking from the other side - quite the opposite." So I want to feel optimism and choose a good optics for my rifle. I was suggested to check these two https://tacticsfaq.com/vortex-diamondback-vs-diamondback-hp/ - but I haven't decided which one is better. Any ideas what should I take?

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Vortex has a great warranty and you get what you pay for in quality with their different tiers. Vortex is a heavy scope if your hiking with your rifle.
    I like and use a lot of Leupold scopes and a few Vortex Bono’s.
    I have several Leupolds including some VX6 scopes and some good Swarovski binoculars when I need clear glass.

The reason I like the Leupold scopes instead of other tier one scopes ……. Leupold scopes are lighter apples to apples then Nightforce, US Optics, Swarovski & Zeiss.
    Vortex is not considered tier one by most people but then neither is Leupold.

Dollar for dollar, feature for feature check out the weight difference between Leupold and Vortex.

I do a lot of hunting so weight matters. Leuphold is made in America and makes great scopes.
    Vortex has stormed the market with a no fault warranty and that is why they are so popular. Not because they are the best. Vortex top tier is good but not the best.

In short.
    You get what you pay for in optics.
    Clear glass costs more.

Also try to get a 30mm tube minimum, it lets in a lot more light and other benefits.
    Parallax adjustments are important to have for longer shots. If it says 100 that means parallax is fixed at 100 yards(no adjustments), 30 to Infinity means it has adjustable parallax(in hunting, parallex can be the difference between filling your tag or going home empty). No need to ask me how I know….let’s just say experience.

The scope topic could go on for hours……..

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tacalarav

Apr 13, 2022
    NJ
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    Albury Brothers 23
    Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge! I appreciate opinion of such experienced person. I will go to the local shop and check both Vortex and Leupold as I want to check it in life.

T
    Tsmithson
    Looking through the scopes is a great way to see how clear the glass is and how much light it allows. The larger the objective lens and tube the more light to your eye. This is important on a adjustable scope…as you zoom in to see the target closer the darker things get in the scope.

Also
    Look through the top of the line scopes to help you learn the difference in clear glass and more light.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Status007

Almost A Member
    Oct 17, 2016
    Moved from Oside to Dallas
    Name
    Terrance
    Boat Name
    I don't have one
    Both offer MIL/LEO discounts. Selection should be purpose driven.

Reactions: Tacalarav
    T
    Tsmithson
    OP might need a month of studying optics in detail to really understand all his options. Then he can make a semi educated choice.

Even if OP learns the difference between FFP and SFP off of UTUBE, it’s not the same as knowing the difference because he has used both or looked through them at the store.

It would be good to know what type of shooting he is going to be doing with the rifle.
    Upvote 0

Olabaja

Apr 6, 2015
    Name
    Mike McMullen
    Boat Name
    kayak
    I have become a Tract optics fan. they use SCHOTT glass assembled in Japan and sell direct. SCHOTT is some of the best glass for clarity you'll find.
    Tractoptics.com

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Different manufacturers have different reticles.
    That advanced choice could make the difference on what scope you want to buy.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    TAC,
    What caliber did you get?
    What are you going to use it for?
    The caliber says a lot about it‘s effective use and the type of scope that will match it‘s purpose.

Upvote 0

Tacalarav

Apr 13, 2022
    NJ
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    Albury Brothers 23
    I've got standard .308 Win– 24” barrel, I am going to use it for hunting not very big game animals, maybe deer sometimes.

T
    Tsmithson
    So a basic scope with as much light gathering as you can afford. A lot of hunting takes place at first and last light so that can be important. A 3-12 power scope 30mm tube with a 40-50mm objective lens and adjustable parallax will be the goal if you can get it in your budget.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    40A12B9C-57B0-4A95-93DF-4D32210E75FA.png

Upvote 0

Tacalarav

Apr 13, 2022
    NJ
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    Albury Brothers 23
    Thank you for your advice, seems like Leupold ia a perfect option for my rifle👍

T
    Tsmithson
    Check out all the features on a scope like the one pictured above. If you can go with all those features plus a 50mm objective lens it will let in a lot more light.
    Upvote 0
    7emptsT
    7emptsT
    Leupold is what I have on my 700 270 great scope, I also have a vortex on my other 270 and like it too. The leupold seems to never get knocked out of sight, I check every season before hunting and it’s always spot on.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Mangata

• Jun 4, 2020
    Ellamar AK
    Name
    Art Strauss
    Boat Name
    Mangata
    Other factors that play a role;

How much prior hunting/shooting experience do you have?

What part of the country do you plan to hunt? (Will you be regularly shooting under 100yds or over)?

If your intended hunting is under 100 yds, then you don’t need a bunch of magnification or adjustable turrent. Limiting features that you don’t really will allow you to purchase better glass.

Try to look through potential scopes that are on a stock so that you will be comfortable with the eye relief that each scope has. Some scopes will potentially not fit your eye and you will have difficulty obtaining the entire field of vision through the lens. Take the time to research what the optimum scope for your application, ability, and finances. Ultimately you get what you pay for…

That being said, scopes that have been used as demo models and are in perfect condition can be had for steep discounts!!!

T
    Tsmithson
    Scopes can work and last for 50 years Just like the rifle.

Buy the best you can equivalent to the price of the rifle.
    Upvote 0
    Mangata
    Mangata
    Really could not agree more!
    Quality optics that you are comfortable with are essential!!!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    B144BB02-1E7B-4F7A-985F-4118F8BA0D50.png

This is what I’m sporting on my Weatherby MKV 300WM. I could of put any scope I wanted and chose this because of weight, quality and features.

T
    Tsmithson
    OP,
    The scope that I pictured first has all the same basic features as this for 75% less money.
    Upvote 0
    Mangata
    Mangata
    Nice scopes I agree, but if he is hunting eastern white tails in timber most of those features are irrelevant…

I just put a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 on a Kimber Mountain Ascent 280 AI for a mountain rifle for Kodiak goat & black tail. Completely different application from the extended eye relief fixed 4x on my big bore lever gun for interior AK.
    Upvote 0
    T
    Tsmithson
    Love Zeiss!
    Had a pair of Zeiss Victory binoculars and been kicking myself for the last decade for selling it. Replaced it with the Swaroski 12X50 EL. It kinda makes me feel better. “Nope, still miss the Zeiss”
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat Name
    skiff
    Most folks don't need a turret based scope or heavy magnification. A solid Vortex or likewise Leupold or Primary arms tube will fit them fine. You don't need to spend a grand for a scope you'll use once a year. Especially if you have a stable firearms.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat Name
    Seacraft 20
    buy the best you can afford…

I would stick to a 1 inch scope on a factory rifle… with a standard bolt and getting that scope to sit as low as possible makes for a pain in the ass working the action… one thing I would suggest is getting picatinny rail and rings..

Upvote 0

Tacalarav

Apr 13, 2022
    NJ
    Name
    Dave
    Boat Name
    Albury Brothers 23

I would stick to a 1 inch scope on a factory rifle… with a standard bolt and getting that scope to sit as low as possible makes for a pain in the ass working the action… one thing I would suggest is getting picatinny rail and rings..
    Thanks for your advice!

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No

Respectfully disagree.
    You stated correctly “pain in the ask” with the low scope mount and picatinny rail.
    1- Loading ammo becomes more difficult.
    2- Unnecessary weight on the picatinny rail.
    3- 1” tube will not help in low light shooting.

The real advantage of the one inch tube is you can get it dirt cheep. Unfortunately that is the only advantage.

Save the 1” tube for your 22 caliber rifle.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DOGHOUSE26
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Your scope should cost about the same or a little less then the price of the rifle.
    As a general rule.

A scope that is 1/3 the cost or 3 times the cost of the rifle is out of sync/balance.

Upvote 0

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat Name
    Seacraft 20
    The pic rail is a better mounting option… from my experience it will hold zero a lot better…. With cheaper scopes your adjust is limited and imo you should try to mount your scope with at least 90% of the adjust left for elevation… with the 30mm vs the 1 inch I will post pics from example when I get off work…

T
    Tsmithson
    I agree on the rail if you are competitive long range shooting with a 338 L.
    Not necessary for a hunting rifle.
    Extra ounces add up to extra pounds.
    Upvote 0
    T
    Tsmithson
    I did add a rail for more clicks in height to my 338-378.
    He has a 308 that is not even as powerful as a 30-06. Making a rail completely unnecessary weight Unless he is trying to punch paper targets beyond reason For that caliber.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat Name
    Seacraft 20
    See how the clearance on a factory bolt it with a 30mm scope… makes it a pain in the ass reloading in a hurry

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Yes.
    First… I like your Nightforce scope. I would of gone with a Nightforce except It weights almost a pound more then the Leupold With similar features.

The 300 WIN VS 338-378 with a rail for long distance hunting. Quarters for comparison on access to load gun.

B9B8FDAA-E23F-4612-B5ED-4A64CBCD8201.jpeg

Last edited:
    T
    Tsmithson
    Both scopes are 30 MM tubes.
    Weatherby MK V has a 54 deg bolt action compared to most others with a 90 deg

Attachments

• 47F87DB3-2769-4ACC-989B-9EB9129357E5.jpeg
      47F87DB3-2769-4ACC-989B-9EB9129357E5.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 31
    • 99FE3A52-F487-43E2-B8F1-60AC739FD969.jpeg
      99FE3A52-F487-43E2-B8F1-60AC739FD969.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 32
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Go big or go broke. If you ask for the "best", it will cost you. Glass should be roughly 3-5X the price of the gun. The Vortex Razor HD is the best bang for the buck. The 34mm tube size is the way to go. These are my safe queens.

Okay, its way overkill if you hunt less than 100 yards, but these are the preferred glass for long range shooting.

1) Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 H2CMR
    pmii-5-25x56.jpg

2) Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 FFP
    vtx_rfl_rzr-g2_f_45-27x56_mrad_fr_w_2.jpg

Best spotting scope
    1) Kowa TSN 883 with 25X LER eyepiece

Kowa-tsn-883-spotting-scope-angled-front.jpg

This will be my next scope purchase:
    RAZOR® HD GEN III 6-36X56 FFP with EBR-7D MRAD reticle

1651108133313.png

Last edited:
    T
    Tsmithson
    OUCH!
    You made my wallet hurt.
    Those are the top for shooting.
    They also weigh a TON.

I had to correct my post. My 338-378 is for long range hunting. Weight matters when carrying the rifle hunting.
    Upvote 0
    S
    ShadowX
    Yeah it does weigh a ton. I mainly use them for long range shooting. I would not use them for hunting. If you're hunting at 100 yard range, any decent 10X scope would be fine. When people want the "best scopes" they have no idea its a path deep into the pocketbooks. Only way to afford it is if you have a rich wife or no wife.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

jsquez

master backlasher
  • Jun 8, 2015
    Name
    jesse
    Boat Name
    Seacraft 20
    Yeah difference in actions also make a difference… you can see in these pics… with a browning a bolt I could put a 35mm scope and it wouldn’t matter because the bolt angle compared to the 700

6A42C5DA-232C-4FF0-826F-D15690DA576E.jpeg

C770450D-51EF-4AFC-9275-F9AFB902C626.jpeg

89C373E1-DF6F-44DA-8C30-06A7CF45617E.jpeg

D1BE7237-C76A-4DC6-9639-04C1F9A2FC11.jpeg

Reactions: Tsmithson
    Upvote 0