best San Diego saltwater tackle shop

blacktale

Jan 22, 2019
Salem, OR
Name
Don
Boat
24' North River hard top
I will be vacationing in San Diego and wanted to shop around for some tuna gear and poles, what shops have the most/good inventory.

Cheers Don.

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hi Don,

Since you are from Oregon I would consider part of your sight seeing in San Diego going to multiple tackle shops.. Some folks on vacation love to visit Old Churches, some want to see the museums and Balboa Park in S.D., some what to see the best architecture in the area.. some just want to find the best bar... I figure that S.D. is the Mecca of West Coast Salt Water tackle shops and wharfs as so many various types of fishing related stores as well as long and short range fishing boats are located in a relatively small area. If you are interested in going out on a San Diego Fishing boat (s) in the future, call the landing and see when the boat (s) will be in the dock. Check them out for future reference. If you can (Depending if the dock is locked or guarded), go on down and check out the boat (s) you are interested in.... Hey, When in Rome...

With that said, map out a route that works with your time frame and visit multiple shops.. It's fun and will provide information for choosing possibly on-line purchases in the future... Each shop noted has their own strengths and personalities.. Some will feel more Old School, some more customer service and others well.. You will see for yourself. If you have the time go to at least 4 of them, get some help from an employee and see what you think. Heck, I am in the industry and love going to other tackle shops to chat and see what is going on.

Now, if you are anywhere near the San Fernando Valley (About 100 miles North of San Diego), come on over and visit Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys... I believe We are the best tackle shop in the country... But I might be just a bit biased... LOL

Best of luck.

Jamie

Last edited:

Nick

215cc Triumph
Aug 4, 2004
san diego
www.sandiegoanglers.com
Name
Nick
Boat
bad habit
My choice would be San Diego Tackle Traders! New and reconditioned at reasonable prices!

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
Customer service, great prices, Joey at Squid-Co

Best selection of gear, not trying to save a buck. Fishemans landing.
fisherman's landing is pretty good on customer service, too, if money is no object, amazing tuna rod inventory (calstar galore)

AC - bad service depending on who's working

Last edited:
Reactions: nmthree

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Dana Landing is another shop that has a good amount of gear.

Btw, San Diego may be the Sportfishing capital of the world, but it kind of seems like the tackle shops in OC have a lot more inventory stocked.

michael e. bingham

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Anglers is anything but choice, squidco or Dana landing where Bubba will hook you up

Reactions: rodblder

blacktale

Jan 22, 2019
Salem, OR
Name
Don
Boat
24' North River hard top
Bubba is awesome. Don’t forget Johnny White!
Hi Don,

Since you are from Oregon I would consider part of your sight seeing in San Diego going to multiple tackle shops.. Some folks on vacation love to visit Old Churches, some want to see the museums and Balboa Park in S.D., some what to see the best architecture in the area.. some just want to find the best bar... I figure that S.D. is the Mecca of West Coast Salt Water tackle shops and wharfs as so many various types of fishing related stores as well as long and short range fishing boats are located in a relatively small area. If you are interested in going out on a San Diego Fishing boat (s) in the future, call the landing and see when the boat (s) will be in the dock. Check them out for future reference. If you can (Depending if the dock is locked or guarded), go on down and check out the boat (s) you are interested in.... Hey, When in Rome...

With that said, map out a route that works with your time frame and visit multiple shops.. It's fun and will provide information for choosing possibly on-line purchases in the future... Each shop noted has their own strengths and personalities.. Some will feel more Old School, some more customer service and others well.. You will see for yourself. If you have the time go to at least 4 of them, get some help from an employee and see what you think. Heck, I am in the industry and love going to other tackle shops to chat and see what is going on.

Now, if you are anywhere near the San Fernando Valley (About 100 miles North of San Diego), come on over and visit Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys... I believe We are the best tackle shop in the country... But I might be just a bit biased... LOL

Best of luck.

Jamie

Pescador Paul

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
All of the above are excellent stores, but for the private boater Dana Landing has got the best tackle, lures, and rigging section in town. Also the best for bay fishing.

JMHO