Best Reel for UC Elite 800 Monster?

Echo6

Dec 26, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Rob
Hey All,

I am looking for thoughts based on usage of the best reel to match with a UC ELITE Monster (CE 800 Monster)? I want to be able to fish 40 or 50 or even push to 60 so I am thinking LD 2 speed. I tried a new Saltiga on it and they are really side heavy -so it wants to flip sideways and really uncomfortable to manage all day on a flyline or live bait setup. I would consider another Trinidad...but really want two-speed. I like the Accurate Valiant 500 2sp?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Talking about the CE800 Monster? Love this blank. Very parabolic and just feels "right" when under load and fighting a fish. Soaks up head shakes like a 70's Caddy over potholes.

But, IMO, this rod is maxed out at well before 15lbs of drag. Pretty much any reel that can do an easy 10lbs and maybe 20 max drag should be a good match. I've used mine with Tranx 500, Trini 20a, and Penn 25NLD2. If I had to choose just one, I'd keep the Trini for the CE Monster. No right or wrong here so if you really want 2-spd, then get the Valiant.

I tried a new Saltiga on it and they are really side heavy -so it wants to flip sideways

I'm probably in the minority about this one. I've found most narrow reels want to flip when stationary. They twist less when cranking, but they don't feel as well balanced to me when the reels are just sitting on the rod. "Square" reels are bit better, and wider reels like the Penn 30 or TAC/SPM16 feel the best. Again, many will disagree. This is just how it feels to me.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    I don't have a CE Monster, but my UC 76HP has the same 30-50# rating. I run a Penn Fathom 30ld2 on this reel and really like it. Great free spool, holds a ton of 65# braid and has 33# of max drag. Gonna use this for 130-160 gram Flat Falls if we get into the modest-sized BFT on my trip on Shogun May 19-23.

I have the Penn Torque 30ld2 on my UC US Terminator, awesome combination for 40# fly line 'dines. The Torques are a small but noticeable step up from the Fathoms imho.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Some of UC's line ratings are down right baffling. Love their rods, but the ratings can be way off.

Anyways, I hope I'm never so unlucky as to have some of those who say, "line ratings are more of a drag setting", ever be on the same boat as me.

1620772047570.png

Reactions: Larry S
    Upvote 0

bradda_brandon

Dawn Butt Patrol
    Sep 27, 2016
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Too broke for one
    Some of UC's line ratings are down right baffling. Love their rods, but the ratings can be way off.

Anyways, I hope I'm never so unlucky as to have some of those who say, "line ratings are more of a drag setting", ever be on the same boat as me.

View attachment 1278889
    100% right about that line rating haha!

But to answer the question, I use mine for 30# and light 40# with a trini 16a or my trq 25n 2speed. I've seen some big fish landed on this rod don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't say it's a 40-50 let alone a 60 pound rod.

Upvote 0

Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover

View attachment 1278889
    Would you at least throw me a life jacket, I was confused?fffff.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    I like to lift known weights to get a sense of what a stick can handle. Probably goofy but that's just me!

Here's a pic of me lifting a 28# propane tank with my 7'6" UC Centaur with a Mak 16 SEa. Not as good as using something the height of a rail, but it gives me an idea of what it feels like.

CentaurPropaneTank.jpg

Reactions: Mickeyfin
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    Here's what my UC Zeus 3 jigging rod looks like lifting an 18# tackle bag. For me and the way I fish this stick will easily handle 20# of drag. I hope to test it out next week on Shogun!

49749.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Larry S
    Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I hope I'm never so unlucky as to have some of those who say, "line ratings are more of a drag setting", ever be on the same boat as me.
    · in Fishing. ·
    Line strength, Drag Setting and Rod rating
    Rod Rating: Since there are no industry wide standardisation of ratings for rods, fishing rods are often rated by the manufacturer’s marketing department, some state their line size range while others are rated by their drag range. Some even have casting weight ranges included. So I’ll attempt to put this mish mash of information into simple practical terms.
    October 1, 2013 · by gaspinggurami

Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Here's what my UC Zeus 3 jigging rod looks like lifting an 18# tackle bag. For me and the way I fish this stick will easily handle 20# of drag. I hope to test it out next week on Shogun!

View attachment 1278911
    Thrashers are advertised like that, loaded up weights. There made in Washington USA.

Upvote 0

snordo

Almost A Member
    Sep 21, 2005
    Torrance
    Name
    Gregg
    Boat
    Indy
    I have the Elite Composite Monster (RCE800MONSTER-C) and fish anything from 40-60# on it and will pair it with the 2-speed Accurate Valiant in the 600N for (40-50#) or the 600 version for 50-60#. I like the capacity of the 600's over the 500's.

Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    In my opinion, UC rods are top quality - I have a few - Dont pair a UC rod with a Fathom or any other $200 reel - Step it up and get a Mak, Avet or Shimano reel!
    What is wrong with the Fathom? Was thinking about one?

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Nothing wrong with the Fathom. Works the same as the Torque's.

This being said, if it were my $250-300, I agree with #kelppaddy, I'd get a Shimano.

It would be a Speedmaster II.

Upvote 0
    Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Small raft
    What is wrong with the Fathom? Was thinking about one?
    Fathom's are great reels for the price - I have the 25 and 40 lever drag - but if you just spent $300 plus on a UC Monster - Spend $300 plus on a Mak (if you like PENN) or check out Shimano's line of reels - UC is a top quality rod, pair it with a top quality reel - You wont look back or regret the decision.

Upvote 0

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    My 25lb setup is a fathom 15 star drag/ us90mega and 30lb is fathom 25n star drag 4.8:1/ ce800monster. It doesnt feel wrong pairing fathoms with UC because the fathom series performs like a reel double the cost. They freespool forever and the drag is literally buttery smooth. The rod tip doesn't move when a fish is pulling drag. I still cant believe we can get fathoms on amazon for around $200 and sometimes well under 200. 40-100 lb gear is avets and makairas but for the light stuff i pick the fathoms all day

Reactions: Sawmill killer
    Upvote 0