Best Reel for UC Elite 800 Monster (Rated 30-50 LB)

Echo6

Dec 26, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Rob
Hey All,

I am looking for thoughts on the best reel to match with a UC ELITE Monster? I want to be able to fish 40 or 50 or even push to 60lb so I am thinking LD 2 speed. I tried a new Saltiga 40 on it and while an awesome machine, it is too side heavy -so it wants to flip the rod sideways/upside down and a pain to manage all day especially on a live bait setup. I would consider another Trinidad...but really want two-speed. Anyone have an Accurate Valiant 500 2sp matched with this rod?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Hey All,

I am looking for thoughts on the best reel to match with a UC ELITE Monster? I want to be able to fish 40 or 50 or even push to 60lb so I am thinking LD 2 speed. I tried a new Saltiga 40 on it and while an awesome machine, it is too side heavy -so it wants to flip the rod sideways/upside down and a pain to manage all day especially on a live bait setup. I would consider another Trinidad...but really want two-speed. Anyone have an Accurate Valiant 500 2sp matched with this rod?

Thanks!
    Penn Torque 25nld or Penn Fathom 25nld.

Upvote 0

engelwurt

Jul 6, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    engelwurt
    Boat
    wurtdirt
    Factory wrapped? Have you pulled on that rod with an appropriate amount of drag to fish 50/60lb test? Like 13-20 lb

I would not recommend that rod for any heavier than 40lb. To me it’s a 30-light 40 lb rod. Certainly not 50-60. There are better UC rods for that application.
    If you are going to fish that rod towards the higher end of its range, I would recommend a taller reel as the rods action and location of the first guide means that the line will touch the rod at or just above the fore grip when loaded. A taller reel will mitigate this a bit. I think a JX raptor and 40nld2 are overkill for that rod and a 25nld2 is about right.
    I fish star drags for 40 and below. My US 80 monster, which is more stout than the RCE, has a saltiga 35 star drag for 40lb.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    If you are looking for rod for 60 lbs application pull on the GP80 Terminator. I have that paired with an Accurate Dauntless 500. Bad ass set up.