Always learning to fish smarter.
May 19, 2011
South Australia, Australia
Name
Russell Iles
Boat
Sold
Best online tackle store for Aussie shoppers

Who would you recommend as a tackle store?
Predominately SW fishing 95% & 5% freshwater.
USA market is so different to the Australian market due to the numbers.
Our population of 28 million compared to US 333 million approx makes for many variations that we never see.
Example. Rec fishers here are mostly one or two rods & the mad keen rec fisher might have 3 or 4 & if you are into big game you might have another 3 or 4. Whereas you USA rec fishers have a rod for every darn fish then East coast or West coast & then throw in all the different rods for FW fishing to suit the various species.
Why I ask for your recommendations is from what I see, some tackle stores do not send to Australia.

Greatly appreciate your assistance.

Upvote 0

Whalebreath

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat

Upvote 0

Crowman

Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES

Our population of 28 million compared to US 333 million approx makes for many variations that we never see.
Example. Rec fishers here are mostly one or two rods & the mad keen rec fisher might have 3 or 4 & if you are into big game you might have another 3 or 4. Whereas you USA rec fishers have a rod for every darn fish then East coast or West coast & then throw in all the different rods for FW fishing to suit the various species.
Why I ask for your recommendations is from what I see, some tackle stores do not send to Australia.

What are you fishing fresh or salt water? For salt you have a shop called Fish Head on the Gold Coast that looks crazy good that will ship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor

There are many online stores that provide excellent service.

There are a few that SUCK. Perhaps you should be asking which online stores to avoid?

Or better yet, when you find a online store that sells good products and has good prices, ask if anyone has purchased from them before?

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.

It's more complicated than that! Not only do many (most?) of us have a half dozen or more go to rods we use on every boat trip, but as technology changes we need to get more: Many of us now have dedicated slow pitch rods but almost no one had them even three years ago. And 50 size reels? I used to fish them exclusively when big fish were around, but now I only fish one on a dedicated kite rod. A 20 size reel is more than adequate fro everything this size of a super cow -- and super cows have even been caught on mower 16 size reels.

Upvote 0

Phishy Phil

Almost A Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    SoCal
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    Vagbond
    tackledirect.com is a great place to buy reels, tax free usually free shipping and always have discounts.

Buying rods anywhere online is a bit complicated since 8'+ rods are really expensive to ship.
    I have had very good experience with Tackle Direct - the rep who I spoke with there was very helpful and knowledgeable - I would definitely go back.

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I’d recommend Trophytackle.com, Ive used Charkbait some, Squidco in San Diego. I’ve also used Tackle Direct and would recommend it. You’d have to contact them and see if they’ll deliver to Australia.

Upvote 0

aussiefisho

May 19, 2011
    Name
    Russell Iles
    Boat
    Sold
    Thank you BloodyDeckers, have started doing business with some of the sites mentioned, naturally not all tackle stores are able to fullfill all my requests, but EVERYONE has been more than upfront & helpful. I love the Bloody Decks site & those that share the common interest of fishing.
    Sincere thanks.

Upvote 0

NorCal Luke

Jun 18, 2012
    Suisun City, CA USA
    Name
    Donald Luke Lipary
    Boat
    Bobcat
    The problem with buying from the states is that we are so crazy about our fishing that stock is low. Sometimes it is a couple months waiting for them to build and ship. But this is not normal. Mostly since COVID.

Last edited:
    Reactions: aussiefisho
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    No one mentioned TACKLE WAREHOUSE... in central Cal. Great and aware buyers always getting the best deals for their customers. Helpful people always available. Prices are right. They ship worldwide.

Also the LONGFIN in Orange CA. Check out their website. Dean is as experienced as you can get... and helpful with real suggestions. Their prices are pretty good... and usually have great selection of stock items. Good luck in your search.....mate.

Upvote 0

Jmetz

• Oct 17, 2021
    Canada
    Name
    Larry Metz
    Boat
    Hewescraft 190 Searunner
    I live in Canada and often purchase from US online retailers. A good chunk don't ship outside US, even to Canada which always puzzled me? I mean it's next door and closer than Alaska?

The reason for reply is because I wanted to give a shout out to Charkbait. It's a great store and amazing service. They never up sell & my last order was smaller than what I had started with because he talked me out of items I didn't need. Another good one was tunatackle.com. he was also great.

I'm doing my first long range this year. It will be an 8 day end of September. I have been ordering gear after reading the info on this site. It's retail therapy for me during my down season.

Anyway

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother.... one of the signs of a GREAT retailer is the suggestion that you maybe over ordering some items and forgetting others. The ones who put a few "extra" items back for you... and suggest some "smart" additions.....ALWAYS gets my vote for "Integrity".

Yo Yoshida did this for me 50 years ago .... when I was first starting LR fishing.... won my business for life. Honesty... with Integrity... what a concept! Eric at the LONGFIN as well.

THANK YOU YO.....and ERIC.... you set the bar high for the others who followed.

Upvote 0

Jmetz

• Oct 17, 2021
    Canada
    Name
    Larry Metz
    Boat
    Hewescraft 190 Searunner

These are awesome. Thanks for sharing. So much for working this morning

Upvote 0

aussiefisho

May 19, 2011
    Name
    Russell Iles
    Boat
    Sold
    The Aussie dollar is 72 cents against the US dollar, so not wanting to pay through the nose,I shop for items that Aussie tackle stores will not or do not stock. Have really enjpyed your responses.

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    The Aussie dollar is 72 cents against the US dollar, so not wanting to pay through the nose,I shop for items that Aussie tackle stores will not or do not stock. Have really enjpyed your responses.
    Maybe about 20 years ago the exchange rates were about that and a lot of us bought gear from an Aussie tackle shop where we saved a bundle.

Reactions: Tim Turis
    Upvote 0

Latest posts