Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
One of the most important and overlooked thing on a multi day trip is if they change the RSW during the trip
Do you mean they drain the fish hold and refill it with fresh sea water?

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Do you mean they drain the fish hold and refill it with fresh sea water?
Yes. It requires setting up another tank with clean water and chilling the water to the proper temperature. The nasty blood filled water is drained and replaced by the clean. Like someone mentioned, it’s a pain in the ass for the crew but the results are worth it.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
My mistake it was in 2017 on the Penn Reels trip that you couldn't make, Renee ran boat. You must of been on the Penn reels last year, I was in Alaska and couldn't make that trip.
Kev , I couldn't make the2018 Trip, but I did this years Trip.

Rossm

Retired Maker of Stuff
Jul 27, 2005
Alpine, CA.
Name
Ross
Boat
25, Skipjack "Hideout"
Royal Star was the Pioneer of RSW, everyone adopted it after them. They do a superior job. After 30 years of long range fishing on many boats I consider them to be at the top of the heap. The final product is fantastic and consistent.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
My first trip out of San Diego was an 8 day on the Rooster in 2012. Andy was not running the boat which was my first disappointment. We caught plenty of fish including YFT, YT, Wahoo and Dorado. None of the fish were even completely bled, just tossed into the RSW. By the time we returned to the dock the RSW was a smelly brown mess along with most of the fish. I was unimpressed.

When I was planning my first true LR trip I asked some of the processors which boat was delivering the highest quality fish back to the dock. Been on the American Angler ever since. I know most every boat has stepped up their game and the Royal Star seems to have been one of if not the first at rodding the spine.

Last edited:

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
The Royal Star was the first boat to employ the Taniguchi method of fish handling. It is not unusual for a fish to be bled, spined, gilled, gutted, and placed into the RSW within minutes of being boated, if it isn't WFO.

But another factor that affects the quality of the final product that the boat has no control over, is the amount of time spent fighting 'on the hook'. The less time the fish is fighting you, the less lactic acid builds up in the tissues. And like humans, their muscle temperature increases during the fight. Once boated, the fish never gets a chance to rid the lactic acid and lower the temps in their muscles. Lactic acid is the major cause of 'burned flesh' in the processed flesh, since the deckhands drop fish (gutted on the RS) into the RSW, immediately starting the cooling process.

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
My first trip out of San Diego was an 8 day on the Rooster in 2012. Andy was not running the boat which was my first disappointment. We caught plenty of fish including YFT, YT, Wahoo and Dorado. None of the fish were even completely bled, just tossed into the RSW. By the time we returned to the dock the RSW was a smelly brown mess along with most of the fish. I was unimpressed.

When I was planning my first true LR trip I asked some of the processors which boat was delivering the highest quality fish back to the dock. Been on the American Angler ever since. I know most every boat has stepped up their game and the Royal Star seems to have been one of if not the first at rodding the spine.
My first LR trip in the RSW era was on the RS in (I think) 2007. Fish were handled very well and carefully. Later that year I was on an RP trip and the RSW was like a bloody sewer and the captain (no longer a captain there) proclaimed that frozen was just as good and didn't seem to care about doing RSW at all. Turns out that subsequent trips on the RP weren't much better in terms of fish handling. I began riding the Intrepid and have never had even the slightest complaint about handling of my catch. They do all the prep on deck and then slide fish into RSW----and check it frequently for temp, changing of water, etc. I imagine that by now all the LR boats do a good job of handling/preserving RSW fish, but only have my few experiences to comment on.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Yes. It requires setting up another tank with clean water and chilling the water to the proper temperature. The nasty blood filled water is drained and replaced by the clean. Like someone mentioned, it’s a pain in the ass for the crew but the results are worth it.
I heard from someone that fished the Cheif for 3 days and they NEVER changed out the dirty water in the RSW the entire trip. The fish smelled and looked like shit when the came out of the hold on their way home. Needless to say, He shit canned all his fish in the dumpster in the parking lot :shake:. That's what he gets for going on "These Blue Light Special Boat's" trying to save a few bucks :rofl:.

Reactions: dh515

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
I heard from someone that fished the Cheif for 3 days and they NEVER changed out the dirty water in the RSW the entire trip. The fish smelled and looked like shit when the came out of the hold on their way home. Needless to say, He shit canned all his fish in the dumpster in the parking lot :shake:. That's what he gets for going on "These Blue Light Special Boat's" trying to save a few bucks :rofl:.
Sounds like a temperature problem too. The crew has to get the right ratio of salt in there too. Man, that sounds nasty AF!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’ve never had any problems with quality of my fish off the American Angler. They do not, to my knowledge, change the RSW water during the trip. But, they do check the temperature constantly.

The only problem I’ve seen was some gashed up Wahoo from the 14 day this January. Don’t think the hold was full, and we had some fish caught early on in the trip, not a lot of tuna, in fact zero for me. But there were some. At the top of the dock there were teeth marks in the fish, presumably from bumping into the open mouths of other fish in the tank. First time I had ever seen it.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Sounds like a temperature problem too. The crew has to get the right ratio of salt in there too. Man, that sounds nasty AF!
Absolutely, That's one of the major factors. People assume you just chill down the salt water and your good to go. Their are a lot of factors involved, Inc how much additional salt to water ratio, Blah, blah, blah. Also what's the max days You can keep certain types of fish in the RSW before freezing them.

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
If you want to see a demo, check out the Royal Star website. There is a short video clip of a tuna being gill and gutted. Also there is a youtube video from the American Angler Spring 2016 14 day trip where Brian does the same thing about 6 minutes in. None of the fish are frozen on a 14 day, all RSW unless you stop at the Rocks on the way down and catch some wahoo. Then you will either have them for a meal and/or cut and frozen because all the slammers are full of bait.

bajapaddyhopper

Jul 14, 2007
Montebello
Name
Sherm
Boat
INDEPENDENCE
Here's an example of a large yellowfin being gill and gutted aboard my trip on the Independence last year. I assume all long range boats do this. It's a lot of labor for the crew that really go out of their way for every big fish.

Reactions: Big carp

Rex1978

Nov 4, 2010
Novato, CA
Name
Rex
Boat
Hopefully one day
This beats the hell out of a deckie stomping on the tuna's head to keep it from flopping around.[/QUOTE]

Come on Steve! There is no way a deckhand would ever curb stomp the hell out of a fish!
:frehya2:

Reactions: dEDGE

dEDGE

Tuna Slayer
Aug 12, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
SteveO
Boat
American Angler
Come on Steve! There is no way a deckhand would ever curb stomp the hell out of a fish!
:frehya2:[/QUOTE]

The best part is scraping the bits of exploded tuna off of your legs much like an episode of "The Walking Dead."

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Here's an example of a large yellowfin being gill and gutted aboard my trip on the Independence last year.
That fella is gonna cut his own wrist handling the knife like that.

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
I have to tell the Shogun boys to give me a minute 'cause I want a photo. Otherwise its G&G and down the hole before I can grab a camera.

Reactions: ZZZZZ and jer dog

Greg C

Apr 22, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Greg C
Boat
none
It seems most of the boats gut/gill/bleed the larger tuna (50lbs+). Are there boats that allow for the angler to do that themselves on smaller tuna, YT or wahoo?

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I have to tell the Shogun boys to give me a minute 'cause I want a photo. Otherwise its G&G and down the hole before I can grab a camera.
Did a 3 day, 1.5 day, and 3 day on the Shogun this year. The fish are treated and dropped so fast. That (yes) you better get a pic very quickly.

One of the new captains is a prodigy from the Star

Had not caught a bft in 15 years and had not fished the boat since 2008. Landed the first 80lb bft of the trip for the boat and 2nd jp. Racked the rod and drank some water and grabbed a new stick. Walked over to in back of the bait tank and the fish had already been dropped. Fish were not dropped that fast the last time I had fished the boat

Ask if you want a photo :D

Did get one rushed photo with another persons phone. And I knew the time was ticking as the fish almost got dragged away from me. I don't have my phone on me fishing. Lucky it still works.

Haha my phone turned off on its own as I hit post

Last edited:

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
It seems most of the boats gut/gill/bleed the larger tuna (50lbs+). Are there boats that allow for the angler to do that themselves on smaller tuna, YT or wahoo?

on the Intrepid passengers are not allowed to mess with fish prep especially wahoo even the smaller grade tuna and yt are gilled and bled out........they do a great job of gilling gutting and spiking your fish...why would you want to do it?

Reactions: r.rose and $norkle

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Yellowtail, don’t think I’ve ever seen them gilled and gutted.

Reactions: freegaff2