TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Lately, it’s been “take your pick”. This year, April/May/June have all been good as long as the weather was half-way decent. The last few years running have been good all the way into the very late fall.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Isn’t it funny that when one door closes (Mexico closures) another door opens. Maybe that door was always available. The great lower banks trips off Mag Bay was found when they closed the islands.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Russ Scholl
    Upvote 0

$norkle

May 6, 2008
    Corvallis,OR
    Name
    Bruce
    Boat
    In my dreams!
    Isn’t it funny that when one door closes (Mexico closures) another door opens. Maybe that door was always available. The great lower banks trips off Mag Bay was found when they closed the islands.
    I remember being on RRIII fishing the islands (years ago). Captains were Danny Palm and Bob Burns. When asked about going to Hurricane Bank they both said they never go out there because ocean conditions out there were always so rough----clearly bullshit, but who would ever challenge the skipper. The islands were still producing and they simply had no reason to go out there----so they bullshitted. Funny how they all changed when the islands were largely closed to them, and Hurricane Bank became the prime destination.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Anyone. Is it the video, deep color? Tommy on the Polaris went to Hurricane just to mop up Wahoo, When the islands were open. They had giant YFT on the corner at HB as scoops got brailed over. I played that VHS tape until the last few minutes would play LOL

Then Roy Rose ran over that lower bank stuff and Randy after the islands closed. Then game on. I think that big fish had been there for along time in the LB. Some years are way better then others. Need the big squid to come back

This BFT has not been overlooked for years and ran over. It's a beautiful cycle. I think the old schoolers saw the end of the last great cycle. When they started catching them with better gear. Then the giants vanished

I think gutter pollution and water quality had allot to do with the BFT departing decades ago. Tuna like clean water, without man made pollutants

Cleaner the water the closer to the beach you can catch them

Reactions: Peg North
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Imo, that's the way. A fishing schedule to look forward too. No doubt. Your going to score :D

When I worked in a office and a cubicle. The pre book trips and fishing schedule. Kept me motivated and something to look forward to

Reactions: Peg North
    Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    Right now is a great time. They are biting everything. I just got back this morning. Caught 2 on the flat fall, 2 on flyline and 1 on the sinker rig. The biggest one weighed 200 lbs. Go get em!

Upvote 0

strackle99

• Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    Every year is different, but this biomass of fish never seems to go too far away.

Upvote 0