Best meals for 8-10 days

ZZZZZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
No one wants to play, name that fish :rofl::rodent:

Its a pontinus aka spotback scorpion fish. Some refer to this fish as a threadfin sculpin, which it is not. Below is a threadfin sculpin. Cruddy internet pic. This was already discussed a few years ago. Re play

Carry on

tn_Icfil_m0.jpg

Reactions: Bill W

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
Name
Hank
Boat
Public
No one does or will ever do it better the Chef Jorge (RIP) on the RR3.

I can still taste the Wahoo Chowder - but could never duplicate the recipe - also the buttermilk yellowtail with rice and green peas lunch - sounds simple but it was epic lunch that never weighed you down...
Jorge's food was excellent.
Back when Dave was running the galley on the star he made a wahoo curry soup that was incredible.

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
Tahoe
Name
Steve
Boat
clawfoot tub
All the operations are a bit different. Some throw huge resources in the galley others throw it in the live bait wells. I prefer the latter. That being said, a nice meal after yanking on fish all day completes the long range experience.

The Excel has the salad/fresh bread every night routine done right. I agree, more fish the better and donate generously. Young Jake on the Excel is improving year after year.

Reactions: stephen campbell

rsmdale

Jul 9, 2012
rsm/ca/usa
Name
dale fero
Boat
ranger
Thank you to everyone and their kind words.

It’s not easy what we (sport fishing chefs) do, but we love it, otherwise we wouldn’t do it. It’s hard to please 25+ people on a daily basis, but with feedback and not thinking I’m Gordon Ramsey, I feel the galley on the Red Rooster III can only continue to get better.

Tight Lines and Tighten your drags,

Mike Nall

P.S. if anyone is interested I’ve started a new Instagram of the food I’m throwing down on the Rooster. Instagram: Foodbyboom
Thank you to everyone and their kind words.

It’s not easy what we (sport fishing chefs) do, but we love it, otherwise we wouldn’t do it. It’s hard to please 25+ people on a daily basis, but with feedback and not thinking I’m Gordon Ramsey, I feel the galley on the Red Rooster III can only continue to get better.

Tight Lines and Tighten your drags,

Mike Nall

P.S. if anyone is interested I’ve started a new Instagram of the food I’m throwing down on the Rooster. Instagram: Foodbyboom
Mike looking forward to sampling your fair on our oct 8 day.I fished and sampled Jorge's fair for 6- 10 days and have many great memories of good food and a good man.I love to cook,Love to Eat and Really Love to fish Wahoo! I hope to get to do all three with you in October."Hardest working man on a Boat is the Chef"
Tight Lines!

nicodemus

Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
Well, it's not an 8-10 day trip, but I have it on good authority that the Vagabond's 5.5 day Guadalupe special leaving November 5th will include at least one Alaska halibut dinner and possibly another dinner of AK salmon. And there may be a few pounds of smoked salmon and halibut (ever tried green chili smoked halibut?) for snacking on. :) Do they deep fry on that boat? Sure love some beer battered halibut...

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
san clemente
Name
Tom
Boat
Sold to the man with $$$
All the operations are a bit different. Some throw huge resources in the galley others throw it in the live bait wells. I prefer the latter. That being said, a nice meal after yanking on fish all day completes the long range experience.

The Excel has the salad/fresh bread every night routine done right. I agree, more fish the better and donate generously. Young Jake on the Excel is improving year after year.
FYI, the boats bait is included in their override paid to their respective landings so cutting back on the galley has absolutely nothing to do with how much or the quality of their live bait.

raw66

Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
I am very lucky to have a second hobby of diving where the attributes of spending a week or longer at sea is identical to LRF in terms of costs as well and the controllable parts of the trip most importantly foods and quality snacks divers can gastronomically process without issues underwater.

I have also been very fortunate to have enjoyed certain aspects of the never changing menus the Excel has prepared during the last 6-7 years and then contrasting it with dive boat food, which in my mind is their counterpart as their trip prices are very comparable.

Long before this thread was started I have struggled how to articulate to my fishing buddies without appearing like an ostentatious prick because at this stage of my life I can indulge myself with several months on the water each year and feel very qualified to pass judgment on this topic of food at the risk of offending some.

Granny once told me before you open your mouth to complain ask yourself if it’s true, kind, and necessary. Before some will point out, don’t let the door hit you on the way out and you should stick to diving. I certainly recognized the unpopularity if I was critical or tried to compare the night and day difference of the dining and food options offered.

This post of mine is probably unnecessary, but you guys are getting screwed more than your aware of. Just completed my second 10 day trip to Coco’s Island this year for some shark diving all for the same price I would pay the Excel or any of their counterparts for a 15 day trip. Was not offered the previous nights desert or sugar cookies as a poor excuse for a snack. Nor was I fed several meals I was encouraged to catch and donate despite how carefully crafted they were prepared.

There appears to me a Wolfpack mentality of being all ga ga everything’s fine because some of you guys are regulars on certain boats and lest you offend and go along with the flow of what’s put in front of you and don’t wish to stand out. OK I flunked the Dale Carnegie course and am not afraid to offend when I’m given day old cake or the same sugar cookies they serve every other day. When only two days of 15 are a quality soup and 1 veggie platter consisting of celery and carrot sticks.

Nothing will change in the LR food department considering the dumbing down threads like this perpetuate with very few or absolutely no criticism only gushing comments they don’t need to change a thing because nobody but this one guy has canceled 2 of his upcoming 16 day trips because the food is less than expected he won’t be missed. Difficult posting but this has been bothering me for some time.

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Should have stuck with granny's words of wisdom. The title of the thread was the best meal or whatever.
There was a thread awhile ago about crappy long range food, I guess you missed that one. No shortage of posts there.

dinko

Jul 13, 2009
long beach, calif
Name
danny
Boat
excel
I am very lucky to have a second hobby of diving where the attributes of spending a week or longer at sea is identical to LRF in terms of costs as well and the controllable parts of the trip most importantly foods and quality snacks divers can gastronomically process without issues underwater.

I have also been very fortunate to have enjoyed certain aspects of the never changing menus the Excel has prepared during the last 6-7 years and then contrasting it with dive boat food, which in my mind is their counterpart as their trip prices are very comparable.

Long before this thread was started I have struggled how to articulate to my fishing buddies without appearing like an ostentatious prick because at this stage of my life I can indulge myself with several months on the water each year and feel very qualified to pass judgment on this topic of food at the risk of offending some.

Granny once told me before you open your mouth to complain ask yourself if it’s true, kind, and necessary. Before some will point out, don’t let the door hit you on the way out and you should stick to diving. I certainly recognized the unpopularity if I was critical or tried to compare the night and day difference of the dining and food options offered.

This post of mine is probably unnecessary, but you guys are getting screwed more than your aware of. Just completed my second 10 day trip to Coco’s Island this year for some shark diving all for the same price I would pay the Excel or any of their counterparts for a 15 day trip. Was not offered the previous nights desert or sugar cookies as a poor excuse for a snack. Nor was I fed several meals I was encouraged to catch and donate despite how carefully crafted they were prepared.

There appears to me a Wolfpack mentality of being all ga ga everything’s fine because some of you guys are regulars on certain boats and lest you offend and go along with the flow of what’s put in front of you and don’t wish to stand out. OK I flunked the Dale Carnegie course and am not afraid to offend when I’m given day old cake or the same sugar cookies they serve every other day. When only two days of 15 are a quality soup and 1 veggie platter consisting of celery and carrot sticks.

Nothing will change in the LR food department considering the dumbing down threads like this perpetuate with very few or absolutely no criticism only gushing comments they don’t need to change a thing because nobody but this one guy has canceled 2 of his upcoming 16 day trips because the food is less than expected he won’t be missed. Difficult posting but this has been bothering me for some time.

raw66

Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
I knew I’d take flak about this. Like arguing with people who still think the world is flat. It’s your cash, spend it anyway you want and I’m just another asshole with an opinion.

If you waste your time talking to people who don’t listen, who do you think is going to care and if you should die complaining how things they could be changing hoping someone’s gonna care. .........Waylon Jennings

Reactions: Bill W

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
If you waste your time talking to people who don’t listen, who do you think is going to care and if you should die complaining how things they could be changing hoping someone’s gonna care. .........Waylon Jennings
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" —Derek Zoolander