Artois

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Mike on the Rooster has been trained Le Cordon Bleu. Damn spoiled we are to get a rare employee with talent and personality. His assistant Chefy is also a blast to ride with.

Thanks for your input on the other boats...
His potatoes are insane!

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Drew (Rivera) was back on the RS last August, but worked the deck. He said he came back, and to work the deck by choice. And he preferred to work the deck, different responsibilities and time constraints during a trip. Our loss..... but then again, he can work the galley in a pinch, and no one would complain.
Drew is a world class chef! He is very wordly, done a lot of traveling, and in my opinion one of the best chefs to step in the galley of a long range vessel. His food is second to none! Great guy all around in my book! I know he splits his time from on the deck,to the galley. Cameron, one of the chefs is pretty damn good too! My last trip when he cooked, fantastic!

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
Only been on a few different boats and although the food was always great what really stood out to me was how long and hard the galley guys work to keep everyone fat and happy. They are usually up before most and still up after most. The San Diego fleet and it’s customers are blessed to have the service and amenities that sets them apart from any other fleet the world over.

marlindog

Jan 15, 2016
Bay Area
Name
David
Boat
None
Of the current LR fleet I have fished the Excel, Spirit of Adventure, Independence, Royal Star, Shogun; Intrepid, Vagabond, and many that no longer exist. I do around four trips a year for last 30 years. To my thinking/taste Drew Rivera from the Royal Star was the best. Have to say Brian Torres on the Intrpid has really impressed me recently.
Food/taste is pretty subjective.

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Another Chef, Jeff (Grant?), who used to run the galley on the RS opposite of Drew, was absolutely fantastic with sauces. The last I heard, he was enticed by one of the larger LR boats, and making their clientele very happy.

Reactions: Cubanaso and Bill W

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
My lasr
Another Chef, Jeff (Grant?), who used to run the galley on the RS opposite of Drew, was absolutely fantastic with sauces. The last I heard, he was enticed by one of the larger LR boats, and making their clientele very happy.
My last trip on the Star, Cameron was cooking. It was excellent! He did some seared ahi that was to die for!

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I’ve never had anything bad on the couple boats I’ve been on but the meal that stands out was the first night on last years trip on the Angler.....swordfish that was swimming the day before with some kind of olive/caper deal on top of it. Stuff just melted in your mouth.
I believe I was on that trip. That meal was outstanding,,,!!!

Reactions: Steve K

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Mike Nall on the Rooster- Fish tacos, Boomer Burger, Beef wellington, Stuffed Yellowtail, Fish Chowder, etc - fuck I'm hungry - This Friday night starts - 3 a day for 8 days !!!
Great cook, very good with the spot cast surface iron as well. Wish I ate breakfast. You better be hungry on the Rooster

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
I've had so many excellent meals on LR boats that I couldn't think of one that really stood out. But then I remembered...

Let me preface this by saying that I am a super fan of seafood. Cooked, raw, it doesn't matter. If it swims, crawls, or slimes around in the ocean I'm up for it. So back in the day, I can't remember exactly...maybe late 90s or early 2000s...I'm with JJ on the Apollo at Guadalupe with nine other guys. Crew was a bunch of really young guys; Kenny was in the galley, Drew Card (Pac Queen) and two other guys I can't remember on deck. I see the crew coming out of the galley with a case of Coca-Cola, a case of beer, and JJ comes down from the wheelhouse with a brand new soccer ball still in it's box.

A few minutes later one of the lobster fisherman from the island shows up along side the boat, and trades about a 1/3-1/2 full burlap sack filled with lobsters for the drinks and ball. That night we ate lobster until it was coming out our ears. Lobster omelets for breakfast the next morning. A bowl filled with cold tails sitting out in the afternoon to snack on. Some of the best lobster (outside of being on the New England coast) that I've ever had in my life.

DMcD

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
Thank you to everyone and their kind words.

It’s not easy what we (sport fishing chefs) do, but we love it, otherwise we wouldn’t do it. It’s hard to please 25+ people on a daily basis, but with feedback and not thinking I’m Gordon Ramsey, I feel the galley on the Red Rooster III can only continue to get better.

Tight Lines and Tighten your drags,

Mike Nall

P.S. if anyone is interested I’ve started a new Instagram of the food I’m throwing down on the Rooster. Instagram: Foodbyboom

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
Thank you to everyone and their kind words.

It’s not easy what we (sport fishing chefs) do, but we love it, otherwise we wouldn’t do it. It’s hard to please 25+ people on a daily basis, but with feedback and not thinking I’m Gordon Ramsey, I feel the galley on the Red Rooster III can only continue to get better.

Tight Lines and Tighten your drags,

Mike Nall

P.S. if anyone is interested I’ve started a new Instagram of the food I’m throwing down on the Rooster. Instagram: Foodbyboom
Mike hope your on trip9.bringing homemade jam for you to use. Roy

Reactions: RichG

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
No one does or will ever do it better the Chef Jorge (RIP) on the RR3.

I can still taste the Wahoo Chowder - but could never duplicate the recipe - also the buttermilk yellowtail with rice and green peas lunch - sounds simple but it was epic lunch that never weighed you down...

Reactions: RichG

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Soups and giant salads!

Food has always been outstanding.

Not a bad idea to bring mixed nuts, natural dehydrated fruit (dehydrated mango from trader Joe's), jerky, natural super food power bars, healthy snacks.

Who has tried this? And who knows what it is ;)allot of peeps know but allot have not come across them yet.

Prepared deliciously on the RP and other boats. Inspired me to eat more fish when I used to not eat allot of fish. That's how good it is. Had it a few times and awesome each time