Fincutter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I realize that this isn't an exciting question but I'm wondering what masks y'all are using for fishing trips. A recent study seems to show that typical fishing masks aren't COVID protective, so I'm looking for something else that's easy on/off, no-fog, and comfortable. I keep buying/trying masks that seem like good candidates but haven't found one that I'm happy with for fishing purposes.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
I personally don't wear masks unless I am required to to go into a business or "get on" a boat. I am also under the impression that none of the masks you see people wearing are "COVID protective". Most people you see wearing those disposable paper masks that don't do a damn thing time after time again which is worse for you than not wearing a mask at all. I personally just wear a bandanna and it comes off as soon as im aloud to. If you want to protect yourself from COVID just stay home. Otherwise get a bandanna or a buff. At least a buff will protect you from the Sun. The sun is way more dangerous than this stupid COVID bullshit.

mberggre

May 13, 2012
San Diego, California
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
I realize that this isn't an exciting question but I'm wondering what masks y'all are using for fishing trips. A recent study seems to show that typical fishing masks aren't COVID protective, so I'm looking for something else that's easy on/off, no-fog, and comfortable. I keep buying/trying masks that seem like good candidates but haven't found one that I'm happy with for fishing purposes.
The only masks that are covid protective are n95 masks. You also need to ensure that they fit properly and you need to literally shave before you put it on or else it is ineffective. They’re uncomfortable to wear for long stretches more so than a traditional surgical mask.

Unfortunately without an n95, You’re dependent on your fellow anglers to wear masks to protect you. It sounds like most people aren’t doing that.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Fincutter, it is my understanding masks do not protect you from getting viruses, they keep you from spreading viruses by inhibiting moisture dispersal when we breath, speak, sneeze or cough. I am very surprised you have not heard this by now. It has been pummeled into us from the media for months. Viruses are so small that only respirator-type cartridge filter masks would block them completely. I doubt you would be able to fish successfully or be comfortable wearing a respirator mask. The gator-style "buff" masks seem to work effectively for fishing, are reusable (washable), prevent sunburn and are much better for fishing than disposable surgical masks.

All N95 masks do not block all viruses. Viruses are about 1/100th the size of bacteria. Keep in mind there are somewhere around 10 to the 31st power of viruses on this planet. While N95 masks are effective at keeping your airborne moisture in and great at blocking most bacteria and particulates, some N95 masks have a vent for exhaling which defeats the purpose of limiting moisture expulsion.

I can't wait until we stop discussing covid-related topics and get back to discussing the difficulties of catching BFT, how much gear to bring, fuel surcharges, why islands are closed, tipping, boat food, bathroom cleanliness, that guy and how grumpy the crew can be...

Good times!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:

TijuanaClams

Jan 15, 2020
HongKongClub
Name
Rock
Boat
SoapShow
Fincutter, it is my understanding masks do not protect you from getting viruses, they keep you from spreading viruses by inhibiting moisture dispersal when we breath, speak, sneeze or cough. I am very surprised you have not heard this by now. It has been pummeled into us from the media for months.
:beerbang:

I really like Mission Neck Gaiters for doing anything active, much better than a standard cloth neck gaiter.
Very easy to rinse and wring out in the middle of a workout so you always have a fresh mask on.

I do miss the days of working out without a mask.
No glove, no love.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
With all of the masking we've done i don't know how anybody could consider any mask safe.Did we really ever get this under control after following guidelines ? I'm just wearing one when required because i'm asked to.I don't feel safer at all when wearing it.I'm also not afraid to go about my business without one.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
With all of the masking we've done i don't know how anybody could consider any mask safe.Did we really ever get this under control after following guidelines ? I'm just wearing one when required because i'm asked to.I don't feel safer at all when wearing it.I'm also not afraid to go about my business without one.
100% with you my man. I just comply when it's mandatory. Any other time I am mask free.

gb58

Nov 10, 2006
vista,ca
Name
greg braun
Boat
none
Fincutter, it is my understanding masks do not protect you from getting viruses, they keep you from spreading viruses by inhibiting moisture dispersal when we breath, speak, sneeze or cough. I am very surprised you have not heard this by now. It has been pummeled into us from the media for months. Viruses are so small that only respirator-type cartridge filter masks would block them completely. I doubt you would be able to fish successfully or be comfortable wearing a respirator mask. The gator-style "buff" masks seem to work effectively, are reusable (washable), prevent sunburn and are much better for fishing than disposable surgical masks.

All N95 masks do not block all viruses. Viruses are about 1/100th the size of bacteria. Keep in mind there are somewhere around 10 to the 31st power of viruses on this planet. While N95 masks are effective at keeping your airborne moisture in and great at blocking most bacteria and particulates, some N95 masks have a vent for exhaling which defeats the purpose of limiting moisture expulsion.

I can't wait until we stop discussing covid-related topics and get back to discussing the difficulties of catching BFT, how much gear to bring, fuel surcharges, why islands are closed, tipping, boat food, bathroom cleanliness, that guy and how grumpy the crew can be...

Good times!

- Jeff Burroughs
don't forget the best connection form spectra to fluoro

Reactions: plj46

Blind Luck

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Best masks? The ones I had made for my trips and friends...Lol
20200723_073715.jpg

Reactions: Shon

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
I realize that I'm not going to convince anyone about masks but after digesting lots of information from credible sources, I've concluded that some masks are better than others, that N95s aren't practical for all-day fishing, that my mask choice will make a difference to my fellow anglers, and that masks are helping the fleet to stay operational in 2020. Therefore, I will be wearing a mask on my trip and I'm trying to find one that's comfortable and effective at its main job (protecting others). Some masks, including typical fishing masks and masks with valves, seem to make things worse. Lots of studies show that other types of masks can be protective. I just haven't found one that's comfortable and that doesn't fog my sunglasses. That's what I'm looking for!

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Unfortunately there’s no way around having a mask not fog up your glasses the best method that I found is by tilting or positioning your glasses lower on your nose . They will all fog up your glasses.

Reactions: plj46 and Fincutter

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Independence
Unfortunately there’s no way around having a mask not fog up your glasses the best method that I found is by tilting or positioning your glasses lower on your nose . They will all fog up your glasses.
Thanks for the info! That's mostly true but I have a couple of N95s that I use sporadically for things like airline flights. They don't fog too much and I'm thinking that's because of the bendable metal piece that seals my nose bridge. I've tried a couple of masks that have a cloth seal, but that didn't help at all. So now I'm looking for a cloth mask that has a metal form-fitting nose bridge.

Blind Luck

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
Someone’s getting rich off these Fucking things!!!
I'm not getting rich.... I spent $400 on masks that I gave away. It also helped CalTs a small business near my house. The SD masks were given to friends of mine..fishermen and crew. Ryan got the rest for his regulars. The Vagabond/ Phenix were done for 3 day sponsor trip. My response: If it helped keep everyone a little safer ...great.
Mike

Reactions: tmkawabata

cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A
I'm not getting rich.... I spent $400 on masks that I gave away. It also helped CalTs a small business near my house. The SD masks were given to friends of mine..fishermen and crew. Ryan got the rest for his regulars. The Vagabond/ Phenix were done for 3 day sponsor trip. My response: If it helped keep everyone a little safer ...great.
Mike
I mean the manufacturer’s if these things, now there advertised on TV everywhere you look.. it’s become big business..
And they got $400 from you..

Reactions: Cubeye

Blind Luck

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
I mean the manufacturer’s if these things, now there advertised on TV everywhere you look.. it’s become big business..
And they got $400 from you..
IRONY......
Elliot silkscreens them for me here in Temecula .
Do you even have to guess where the masks are made?
That's irony...lol

Reactions: 500BBC

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I personally don't wear masks unless I am required to to go into a business or "get on" a boat. I am also under the impression that none of the masks you see people wearing are "COVID protective". Most people you see wearing those disposable paper masks that don't do a damn thing time after time again which is worse for you than not wearing a mask at all. I personally just wear a bandanna and it comes off as soon as im aloud to. If you want to protect yourself from COVID just stay home. Otherwise get a bandanna or a buff. At least a buff will protect you from the Sun. The sun is way more dangerous than this stupid COVID bullshit.
And right out of the chute, ignorance abounds!

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Maybe the Long Range fleet can sell future undated tickets at a discount. 20% off. Then we would not have to worry about masks and the fleet will have cash flow.

Call it the COVID-19 vaccine discount. Not enough passengers to make a trip, call up the regular database and offer them the deal.

Last edited:

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
POWAY CA
Name
Richard Jones
Boat
Bigger is Better Thats what she said
I personally don't wear masks unless I am required to to go into a business or "get on" a boat. I am also under the impression that none of the masks you see people wearing are "COVID protective". Most people you see wearing those disposable paper masks that don't do a damn thing time after time again which is worse for you than not wearing a mask at all. I personally just wear a bandanna and it comes off as soon as im aloud to. If you want to protect yourself from COVID just stay home. Otherwise get a bandanna or a buff. At least a buff will protect you from the Sun. The sun is way more dangerous than this

Last edited: