Best Long Range Boat

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by recurveman, Oct 14, 2016.

1. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I was thinking the same thing. The Wi-Fi is comparable to the old dial up internet speed and also depends on who else on the boat is trying to log on. Seems like the best time to use the wifi was really late at night or early morning. I have seen a few passengers bring their own Sat phone onboard to conduct business.

For picking your boat and trip, I would find 4-5 boats you're interested in then start talking with the front office. They should have a good idea of the passengers that ride the trip and make recommendations for a trip suitable for newbies. From there you should be able to get a top 3. The trips during prime time might fill up quick so be ready to send in a deposit around the start of the new year.

dh515 likes this.
  2. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    By order of importants
    1 Captain
    2 Crew
    3 Chef
    4 Boat

SCHeadhunter likes this.
  3. mcrae

mcrae More wishing than fishing

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    I will follow this advice. Thanks everyone.

4. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    I'd suggest that you buy Jeff Burroughs book, "For the Love of Long Range Sportfishing San Diego Style." It has lots of useful info for a new Long Ranger, including a chart that breaks down all of the boat info.

Expect WiFi to be spotty/painfully slow; to get anything through you'll probably have to get up before anyone else. (Hopefully other passengers will follow recommendations and go to Airplane mode when they're not on-line.)

One more consideration: if you don't have all the equipment you'll need, some boats offer free rental gear. I tried this recently, with the thought that I'd use rental stuff to fill a few gaps, including backups. Next trip, I plan to come fully equipped with my own gear; some guys got premium rental gear but the stuff I got was just OK.

mcrae and Olddog8 like this.
  5. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    Go with the Titanic. Hear it is a great boat, unsinkable.

IParker likes this.
  6. JohnTFT

JohnTFT Insomniac

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    A big Steel One
    Hows the food?

Rodless_Jim and vegasandre like this.
  7. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    I go by:

1) Fits my schedule
    2) Number of people on trip (I'm never going on one of those 30 passenger trips, again)
    3) There isn't anything that I don't like about the boat/trip/passengers.

Honestly, most boats have some compromise in them, eg.
    I really like the excel, except that they don't like you fishing the slide, and the boat is so wet with both slammers full you can't wear anything less than knee high boots (slight exaggeration...). Problem solved once they close one slammer though.
    I really like the crew on the Vagabond, but man is that boat small, no place to sit outside either.
    I really like the Intrepid, but did they really have to make the bottom bunks tight by putting drawers below the top bunk? Not a big deal, but ugh, so close... (yes, yes, I know, first world problems and all). They did a couple of short stops for smaller fish, 1-2 hours only, to round out the kill box and break up the return trip. Best boat for that.
    I like the independence, but I did have a bad experience with one of the crew that wouldn't give me my rod back after untangling a fish (because it was the first cow of the year) and instead brought the fish to gaff and THEN handed it back to me. Really? Really? I did not tip heavy on that trip...
    I liked the qualifier 105. Went on many trips. Mostly a no-nonsense boat that fished well, and had a good crew. No frills, but I'm okay with that.
    I do like the RP, but most of the trips are booked. I thought the captain was a great mix of no-nonsense, but flexible enough to try new techniques. Only captain I ever heard say trip butt hooking a weighted bait, you never know. Only issue is he liked to fish only the big fish, no stopping along the way to break up the trip. Some people prefer that...
    I liked that shogun. It is slower than some of the boats (or it was, I don't know if that was upgraded), but no problems except it just doesn't have that many long trips.

Okay, so some basic design questions. Why doesn't every Long Range boat have the following?
    1) At least one urinal? Silly little thing, but it is so much better than trying to aim on a bouncing boat. Sometimes it feels like I'm writing in the snow... The qualifier had a narrow doorway so you could literally hold yourself up by your shoulders without using your hands.
    2) A row of rocket launchers! Those that have it make it easy to have 1-2 rods available for everyone.
    3) Center tackle racks that are wide enough to put two tackle boxes on them back to back that are accessed from opposite sides? Doubles the top rack places! Ideally, separate the middle with the rack of rocket launchers
    4) Angled rod holders in bow? I mean, that's the only way we use them, why not just angle the rod holders in the first place?
    5) 6 or more hooks in the cabins? Shoot, put 10 in there. They don't get in the way and it allows you to hang stuff out of the way of your roommate.
    6) A fish alarm in the cabins! When a bite shows up out of nowhere, deckhands could hit a switch and wake everyone up (easy to have a on/off switch in cabin). Sometimes the bite is in the middle of the night sometimes in the afternoon when everyone is napping. The buddy system isn't sufficient, because your buddy won't come get you if he's on a fish, had that happen more than once!
    7) Plenty of fluorocarbon and a selection of weights. I've been on several trips where the boat ran out of 100lb fluoro... Really? And other boats that did not have small weights (eg. 2oz). I finally figured out what was working on one trip, slow retrieve with 2oz weights, but I only had 5 or so of my own. Boat didn't have any, as in zero. I felt like a junky begging for 2oz weights from other passengers. I must have hooked like 10 big fish with that technique in one day. I did hand off like 5 fish though...

8. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on

Well said Aaron .... I pretty much echo many of your comments.

9. egarratt

egarratt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eddie G
    Boat:
    None
    I like the "Fish Alarm" idea. I usually work with my bunk mate on this, if either of us get up and fishing is good, wake the other. Especially good for that grey light bite.

10. tcroach

tcroach Newbie

Name:
    tom roach
    Boat:
    24 ft Carevr
    One boat that is often overlooked is the Spirit of Adventure. Great set-up, crew and captain. has limited on-line presence - he keeps his trips full with loyal and happy customers.

Lone Shark likes this.
  11. tcroach

tcroach Newbie

Name:
    tom roach
    Boat:
    24 ft Carevr
    I found the lack of WI-fI a positive by the end, As long your loved ones know how to contact the boat - you are OK

12. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    I always tell the office not to contact the boat with any bad news, nothing I can do out there anyway.

13. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    Let's face it, each of us has their preferred boat, for reasons only known to us. I am impressed in THIS thread that there hasn't been any "boat bashing".

Already mentioned is the poor quality of wifi. I really don't know if there is anything the boats can do to improve that situation, but I am not riding the boat for a network connection. I have seen the boat turn it off altogether, but they told us why.

If communication is key, the Intrepid has a phone in their galley that is available for use by their anglers, no additional charge. Allows incoming and outgoing calls, I haven't seen anyone take advantage of that extra, but some use it more than others.

14. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats

I was impressed by that phone, Chris

15. Corndog

Corndog Landlocked

Name:
    Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
    Boat:
    Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
    I agree. But I would be lying if I wasn't on my phones www when we beached up one night for a good night's sleep and break from weather. The sat radio mentioned the earthquake 8.0 south near Guatemala and tsunami possibilities so I was trying to find some Intel there ...and while everyone took advantage of calm weather for sleep I still fished until like 11pm lol. No bites however.

Love the spirit but I might have a bias

16. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Indy. Just an east coast opinion since 2005

17. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    where can you buy the book at ? I always having people ask me the similar question on this thread. They have a bad trip because the info I gave them, It's my fault. This way they can get all their Q and A's in the book.

18. Fincutter

Fincutter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Independence
    http://longrangesportfishingsandiegostyle.com

19. UnBelievable

UnBelievable F.V. UNBELIEVABLE

Name:
    Norm Campbell
    Boat:
    UnBelievable
    My first choice is the Searcher. I would recommend a minimum of 6 days next year as the awesome fishing we are enjoying is winding down with the water temp. Just be sure to make your choice and purchase trip insurance through Bob Dawson as soon as you book the trip. Purchasing you trip insurance within 10 or 15 days of booking allows for pre existing conditions. I had to cancel several trips this year due to my wife’s condition. Saved me thousands, you never know what the future holds. I don’t like paying for the insurance, but this year it really saved me. Best of luck to you and your friends.

20. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    This isn't always true. The 8 day on the Excel I take only takes 28. This boat is huge. You pay extra for the limited load trips but its worth it, in my opinion.
    If you look at the schedules for next year and you see a trip that is sold out, there is a reason for this, it is probably a great trip annually. My trip, the Gallagher Alijos Special, sells out every year. I've already have my deposit on the trip in 2019.

Rodless_Jim likes this.