Best level-wind, Corvalus, Cardiff, Calcutta 400, Penn 965?

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I need a new baitcaster and looking for advise on; Shimano Corvalus, Cardiff, Calcutta 400's and Penn Int 965/975 reels. I'll be throwing trout imitation striper plugs off a boat, 10 and 11' surf rods, 25-30# line, Lake Mohave, Mead. Looking for something that casts well, doesn't constantly overrun, holds about 250 yrs 15# mono (spectra + topshot) and has enough drag to land a 50# striper,,, if I'm lucky enough to tie into one...

The past 2 weeks I've been practicing with the surf rods and used an Abu 6500, Corvalus 400, Daiwa 20/30SHV and Penn 535GS. After working out the kinks and getting some good casting technique, the conventional reels cast further but not far enough to were I'm set on using them. From what I found, the bad aerodynamics of striper plugs (weight 4-6 oz, length 12-14") limit casting distance more than the smoothness of the reel, probably loosing 5' or so with the level wind reels on a 60(?) yard cast. I go solo a lot and having a level wind is one less thing to worry about when I'm fighting the fish, wind, current, boat control, etc.

My Corvalus/Catala 400 trolling reels work well, cast nice and have enough line capacity and drag for stripers to 40#, looking for something similar for the surf rods. I'm not sure the frame rigidity and extra drag of the Calcutta or Penn 9665/975 are necessary since I'm not going to be grinding in a fish on a 11' rod...

The Corvalus and Cardiff have similar line capacity and max drag but are priced $20-30 apart, what's the difference between the reels? (edit: Cardiff has 1 more ball bearing and metal star drag adjuster, anything else?)

What are the pro's and cons between the Calcutta CT400B and Penn International 965?

Am I going to get more casting distance with the Calcutta or Penn 965 over the Corvalus/Cardiff?

Thanks,
Dan

YANK N CRANK #2

Proud Wyoming Resident
Feb 28, 2006
God's Country, Wyoming
Name
Jason
Boat
27, Seaway, Yank n Crank
I need a new baitcaster and looking for advise on; Shimano Corvalus, Cardiff, Calcutta 400's and Penn Int 965/975 reels. I'll be throwing trout imitation striper plugs off a boat, 10 and 11' surf rods, 25-30# line, Lake Mohave, Mead. Looking for something that casts well, doesn't constantly overrun, holds about 250 yrs 15# mono (spectra + topshot) and has enough drag to land a 50# striper,,, if I'm lucky enough to tie into one...

The past 2 weeks I've been practicing with the surf rods and used an Abu 6000, Corvalus 400, Daiwa 20/30SHV and Penn 535GS. After working out the kinks and getting some good casting technique, the conventional reels cast further but not far enough to were I'm set on using them. From what I found, the bad aerodynamics of striper plugs (weight 4-6 oz, length 12-14") limit casting distance more than the smoothness of the reel, probably loosing 5' or so with the level wind reels on a 60(?) yard cast. I go solo a lot and having a level wind is one less thing to worry about when I'm fighting the fish, wind, current, boat control, etc.

My Corvalus/Catala 400 trolling reels work well, cast nice and have enough line capacity and drag for stripers to 40#, looking for something similar for the surf rods. I'm not sure the frame rigidity and extra drag of the Calcutta or Penn 9665/975 are necessary since I'm not going to be grinding in a fish on a 11' rod...

The Corvalus and Cardiff have similar line capacity and max drag but are priced $20-30 apart, what's the difference between the reels? (edit: Cardiff has 1 more ball bearing and metal star drag adjuster, anything else?)

What are the pro's and cons between the Calcutta CT400B and Penn International 965?

Am I going to get more casting distance with the Calcutta or Penn 965 over the Corvalus/Cardiff?

Thanks,
Dan
Simple pro for the penn vs. the shimano.. The penn isn't full of plastic internals like the calcutta is.. The gear ratio between them is 4.5:1 for the penn 975 and its 5.0:1 for the shimano.. The Corvalus and the Cardiff should not be considered..

T

The OG Hooookup

ive negelected and beat the living shit out of my calcutta and it is one of the smoothest reels I own.

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
i've seen first hand the corvalus malfunctioning so imo, those should not be on the list. I believe the main difference between the corvalus and the cardiff is the drag? also the brakes are on different sides of the spool.

have you looked into the daiwa luna?

Insomniac

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 30, 2005
Spring Valley
Name
asshole
Boat
Yellow Monster
Go abu they work like a charm penn is good to not the prettyiest reel but can handle the fish.

Afry

Capitán
Jul 5, 2005
Ramona, Ca
Name
Arnie
Boat
38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
Remember that the penn doesn't disengage the levelwind when casting. I really like the Diawa's over both penn and shiman's, Luna all the way.

Troy

Under the Radar
Sep 12, 2005
Bird Rock
Name
Troy
Boat
Pez Loco
Corvalus - junk

Calcutta - great reel.

I haven't tried the others but own both of the above.

inSTANt bendo

Oct 1, 2003
Temecula
Name
Stan
Boat
Outrider Sportfishing
Remember that the penn doesn't disengage the levelwind when casting. I really like the Diawa's over both penn and shiman's, Luna all the way.
That's what I was thinking.

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Aside from the levelwind option, the torium 14 or 20 or 30 might be an option. It will certainly feel more balanced being slightly larger and going on an 11 foot rod. I dont think i would be comfortable casting 12" plugs (4-6oz) on a baitcaster paired with an 11 footer. Newell 229 would be great.

The light tiny baitcaster spool and the heavy baits you are throwing are going to cause some overrrun. Spool is too light for BIG baits. Might look at Shimano tekota 500, i just bought a 300 and a 500 sweet reels, gear ratio is 4.2 to 1, if thats ok the tekota is an option. Not sure about the freespool, mine are line counters and dont freespool well, but im not casting with the line counter reels. Oh yea and the size is very nice, not too big not too small. Also, im suggesting the non-linecounter reel for your casting. Hope this helps.

Jack Flash

May 19, 2006
Las Vegas
Name
John Moehlenbrock
Boat
21ft.cc Stingray
IMO conventional reels shine for trolling or throwing sinking swimbaits you want to freespool down deep,also dead or livebait fishing with stronger clickers.Levelwinds are for casting lures all day,even though you can throw farther with the conventional,distance usually isn't as important as accuracy.Throwing with 11 footers from the bank sounds better than from a boat,but to each his own.The new abus with better drags are a good bang for the buck,but stuck with the shimanos lately.The curado 300dsv,a larger bass reel on steroids is a beast of a caster.Reliable calcutta 400's,don't throw penns,and some old abu 7000's throw big plugs all day.Corvalus throws,but will have breakdown issues.A decent spinning reel loaded with at least 17lb. for smaller baits,20 or braid with larger comes in handy for windy days.Good luck chucking.

The Notorious S.U.A

Feb 17, 2005
laguna
Name
jorge
Boat
none
calcutta 400TE

Reactions: Tony O'Connell

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Thanks for the replies!

Corvalus and Cardiff crossed off the list.

I have several Abu's that cast great, but I don't like the post frames and the drag isn't as good as the Catala/Corvlaus that I've used for big stripers. They work great for small stripers, but I don't trust then on the larger models. I'm thinking the Abu 6500 drags are designed for 12-20# line, 25# is pushing it, forget about 30# line.

Thanks for the Daiwa Luna suggestion!!! I didn't even know they had an offering in this class of reel. How is the Luna constructed inside, bunch of plastic parts like the Shimano's or bunch of metal parts like the Saltist's?

As far as conventional reels go, they work great for casting and have good drags, but I'll probably run into problems thumbing the line back onto the spool since I'll be fishing in adverse conditions, low-no light, windy-wavy, yada, yada, yada. I'm going to fish my Daiwa 20/30SHV and Penn 535 during the day and see how it works, but thinking levelwind is the way to go for this situation.

Afry

Capitán
Jul 5, 2005
Ramona, Ca
Name
Arnie
Boat
38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
Check Charkbait's web site for luna info - he compare's them to shimano (just keep in mind he HATES shimano).

pitted25

Jun 15, 2007
california
Name
jerry
Boat
n/a
i have a calcutta 400b for sale for 190.00 if any one is interested. shoot me a pm with your number and i'll get back to you. i have only used it twice.practically brand new. awesome reel

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Fuck Shimano.....go with the Luna!

Ide have to agree, go with the Daiwa Luna. Squidco states hands down a better reel that the calcutta 400! I killed a 40lb dodo on my luna300...

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Went down and did some "tire kicking" at BPS last night. They didn't carry the Daiwa Luna's, the Penn 975 levelwind's were out of stock, but the entire line of Calcutta's were sitting in the case...

It looks like a lot of people are saying the Luna 300 is an awesome reel, better than a Calcutta 400B and close in performance to a Calcutta TE. Only negative I heard about them was the anti-reverse slipping/failing on the musky guys who rip and slash big baits. Looks like the Luna 300 is going to be the best choice, but I'd like to lay my hands on one before popping $250 for the reel.

oozacgt

IG: captmessaround
Mar 15, 2003
OC
execappl.com
Name
Zach
Boat
33' Riviera "Mess Around" & 20' Shamrock Pilothouse"ElBeSea
They are a very solid reel. There is one for sale on this board for $170. You may want to check it out.

macka17

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 3, 2006
yeppoon Queensland Australia
Name
Mack
Boat
Quintrex 5.25mtr
Hi.

Black sheep 300 bigger. 250 a bit small I have 250. Luna good. B/Sheep better. also look at the ABU 7000. with smoothie drags in it. You'd be scratchin' to get a better caster.
If not bothered about Levelwind. Just get an AVET or Accurate.

Definitely ANYTHING rather than Shimano.

Regards
Macka17

flopps1

Nov 9, 2007
IE
Name
Flopps1
Boat
What boat I can jump on
Fuck Shimano.....go with the Luna!
That's a real intelligent answer......Instead of bashing, how about giving some real facts as to why you would recommend the Luna? You mentioned that Luna is a solid reel...I'd have to say the Calcutta's pretty solid as well. I willing to bet that you have no real comparison and that's what your limited to...