Texlee

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
3 turn uni....simple.... very small....very strong.
But David. Me being a novice. Meaning I've never caught a fish over 100#'s unlike you veterans that catch fish over 200#'s...I don't have the experience or trust in my knots over 100# test. I defer to using my Nicopress crimpers/swaggers. Yes. I've had Mr. Pappas re-set my 33V-CGB4 swaggers. I have 2 of them. One stock one not. Their is a big difference from the stock 33V-CGB4's and the ones that Basil re-sets. Anyone that is using one for mono/floro better have it re-set.
Thank you for your knowledge. Tex.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
But David. Me being a novice. Meaning I've never caught a fish over 100#'s unlike you veterans that catch fish over 200#'s...I don't have the experience or trust in my knots over 100# test. I defer to using my Nicopress crimpers/swaggers. Yes. I've had Mr. Pappas re-set my 33V-CGB4 swaggers. I have 2 of them. One stock one not. Their is a big difference from the stock 33V-CGB4's and the ones that Basil re-sets. Anyone that is using one for mono/floro better have it re-set.
Thank you for your knowledge. Tex.

That is why the three turn uni would be perfect for you ....it is very simple.....less bulk than a crimp and less gear to remember.....crimping is a excellent way of attaching terminal gear but has a lot of moving parts IMO......and the OP asked about knots....

Last edited:

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
That is why the three true uni would be perfect for you ....it is very simple.....less bulk that a crimp and less gear to remember.crimping is a excellent way of attaching terminal gear but has a lot of moving parts IMO......and the OP asked about knots....
Dam.

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
Looking for it on the internet, what is called the Joe Miller knot is not the knot I saw used.

Mayby I can explain it. The knot was used mainly with 130# mono.
1. With the eye of the hook vertical, take tag end through twice through the eye going up making a loop.
2. Take tag end and go around the main line 1 and 1/2 times and bring tag end from below through the loop upward.
3. Roll the twist back a turn. This will open up a hole on top of what was the twist and line up the tag end with the main line entering the knot.
4. Insert tag end through the hole so that main line and tag end are parallel through the hole.
5. Wet and cinch down.

Check that the tag end goes up along with the main line when done and the double loop on the eye is not crossed.

This knot worked very well on the big fish with big line. I have not tested it other than catching some big fish with it.
Without a diagram to see I’d say that is the knot I have been tying for about nearly 30 years. Learned it from a guy who learned it from Mr Miller. It is not the same as most people know the Miller knot...I just call it the double-double because while tying it everything is done twice.

Terryw

Capitan
Apr 7, 2012
San Diego/ca/usa
Name
Terry
Boat
42 Henriques
Spangler all the way. Picked it up on this forum 5 years ago and started using on 20# up to 200#. Many fish caught including cows and zero failures. Easy to tie big line, fast, and seems stealthy. Two loops around the hook adds confidence. Thank you to whoever posted this knot 5 years ago. Good fishing.

Reactions: SlideRight

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Spangler all the way. Picked it up on this forum 5 years ago and started using on 20# up to 200#. Many fish caught including cows and zero failures. Easy to tie big line, fast, and seems stealthy. Two loops around the hook adds confidence. Thank you to whoever posted this knot 5 years ago. Good fishing.
Hi Terry, it was me who posted it many years ago and again right now! (see attachment below) The Spangler knot works very well with fluorocarbon and larger diameter lines. The Uni Knot is effective too... Pick your preference, tie it well and use it with confidence!

- Jeff Burroughs

Attachments

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
3 turn uni....simple.... very small....very strong.
I just wanted to throw in a couple of reasons why I fish a 3 turn uni. And the Springer is a very strong knot that does not do what a 3 turn uni does, although the Springer is a very small and likely stronger knot than the uni.

1. You can get a very tight barrel without going to the hook eye. (Makes your own ringed hook)

2. The tag end of the knot goes directly in parallel with the main line and does not dig in to the bait.
You guys converted me. My go-to knot now. Like all knots it’s much easier for me to tie with an anchor point—like a big brass ring at the tackle station so the whole process can be done under tension.

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
Palomar, improved clinch, SD jam knot...I was using them and then some, until Fishy sold me on the Uni. I've not used any other hook connection knot on my last 4 8 day trips and have not had a failure yet. Exactly like Bill says, tight barrel, free ringed hook. What's not to like?

Reactions: Bill W and $norkle

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Damn, I let the cat outta the bag a long time ago on my secret weapon. I learned that trick from a good angler named Tony a long time ago.

Sacto John

Sep 6, 2013
United States
Name
John Humphreys
Boat
1987 11'4 Boston Whaler Super Sport
Hi Terry, it was me who posted it many years ago and again right now! (see attachment below) The Spangler knot works very well with fluorocarbon and larger diameter lines. The Uni Knot is effective too... Pick your preference, tie it well and use it with confidence!

- Jeff Burroughs
I need some pointers tying this knot. I have tried and tried using your illustration and I can not get it right. I must be an idiot because everyone say it is easy to tie.

I've been a Palomar guy forever but with anything over 80lbs I lose confidence in that knot, so I want to try something new.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I need some pointers tying this knot. I have tried and tried using your illustration and I can not get it right. I must be an idiot because everyone say it is easy to tie.

I've been a Palomar guy forever but with anything over 80lbs I lose confidence in that knot, so I want to try something new.
John,

Jeff's illustration is about as good as it gets for instruction along with the video at the bottom of the previous page. If you are still having issues you may need some hands on instruction to get the right perspective.

Since you mentioned the Palomar knot, I tied it with some 80 lb. flouro. and when done properly it looks amazing. Looks just like a Spangler knot with the tag end tucked up inside the barrel. I am having some issues tying it without getting a cross over on the two legs wrapping the hook eye but if I can solve that I bet this is a very strong and well protected knot.

Reactions: Sacto John

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
John,

Jeff's illustration is about as good as it gets for instruction along with the video at the bottom of the previous page. If you are still having issues you may need some hands on instruction to get the right perspective.

Since you mentioned the Palomar knot, I tied it with some 80 lb. flouro. and when done properly it looks amazing. Looks just like a Spangler knot with the tag end tucked up inside the barrel. I am having some issues tying it without getting a cross over on the two legs wrapping the hook eye but if I can solve that I bet this is a very strong and well protected knot.

Please just say NO to using a Palomar for big fish.....you will thank me....

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Please just say NO to using a Palomar for big fish.....you will thank me....
Will do. Thank you in advance.

I have been saying NO to the Spangler knot too as I had 2 very unexpected failures with it last winter. No issues with the Uni or San Diego.

Reactions: Cubeye and T.O.T.W.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Profile, stealth, and damage to bait from tag end is a major part along with strength.

But in regards to strength. It would be cool if BD or a line manufacture had a monthly knot tying contest. With a poll at the entry deadline for who's entry will win. Gentleman's bet

The knot could be mailed with a standard for length of leader, same fluoro/mono, same hook.

Same knot vrs same knot. Same materials

Knot vrs different knot. Same materials

Ect

In a controlled environment. Which is really not what a knot goes through durring the fight but its good enough

Place your bets :)

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I have used the Palomar a long time ago as my go to knot. Mainly for albies and 15# and 25#. My likes was small and no slip. I have heard that it is not a good knot for heavy line and it’s bend will cut on itself. The loop in the line needs to slip lower around the whole knot. When tightening the knot the loop starts sliding on the hook ring. That being said I moved on to the Uni.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I have used the Palomar a long time ago as my go to knot. Mainly for albies and 15# and 25#. My likes was small and no slip. I have heard that it is not a good knot for heavy line and it’s bend will cut on itself. The loop in the line needs to slip lower around the whole knot. When tightening the knot the loop starts sliding on the hook ring. That being said I moved on to the Uni.

On a trip to the lower banks one year we had a group of Northwest salmon fishermen on their first cow trip.....first day we got into the fish really good.....and the salmon guys were getting bit but where suffering heavy losses due to knot failure....Capt Kevin started asking what knot they were using...yep palomar....he insisted they not use it and they started to land fish.

Reactions: FishRock

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
That knot can be tied wrong and to repeat the loop has to be low around the whole knot with the loop touching the hook ring on both sides. Tie it wrong like anything you got trouble.

Thanks for sharing Fishy, never used that knot for heavy line and have heard that it cuts on itself on a long fight.