Best Knot for Braid to Floro or Mono?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by fyermn, Feb 13, 2018.

1. fyermn

fyermn Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    LONG RANGE fishing
    What I have seen on videos is holding the braided line from the rod tight,and tying the leader material around the tighten braid line. Another was holding the leader material and tying the braid around it.

2. r8rs4lf

r8rs4lf I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Since the braid is already on the reel/pole, I always wrap the leader around the braid. I’ve never done it the other way around.

Would it make a difference?

3. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The knot will be much bigger if you wrap the leader around the spectra. Much.

4. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Can you show us a picture of the finished knot? I am trying my best to figure out how you can even tie an FG knot with the leader wrapped around the braid. I would think the resistance of the leader material would make doing the wraps almost impossible, and I can't envision how the the braid wouldn't immediately slide through the wraps.

My guess is that you wind the leader around the tight braid, but, as the process is supposed to, you end up with the braid wrapped around the leader.

5. r8rs4lf

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    This is the FG VS. RP (modified Albright)
    C9F94D93-F1E8-443F-9C92-9F916C301B4F.jpeg

I did this because some people were saying a RP knot would go through the guides better than the FG. I don’t see it!

Not sure exactly if you want to see mono wrapped around braid or vise versa, but like I said, I’ve never wrapped braid around mono.

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    here is my FG in 100# FC and 100# spectra

9Z8sbLjUSf6KNMD8m9YcBQ.jpg

7. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Well, we're obviously talking at cross purposes here. In the photo you posted, I see the braid wrapped around the mono in both knots. I say that because the mono is inside the braid.

Anyway, thank you for the photo. I personally believe that the FG is not only much stronger than the RP, but also that it is slimmer, and will go through the guides better.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Retired1 and Juanba like this.
  8. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    This isn't a great picture, but it illustrates what I envision when I think of the mono wrapped around the braid. It's a Bristol Knot, similar to what was called on the San Diego boats a "Worm Knot." It used to be considered one of the best choices for connecting braid to leader, but has fallen out of favor for a couple of reasons.

[​IMG]

As I said previously, I have been using the Pena Knot for more than 10 years (switched from using the Worm Knot!), and have never had a failure. I think it is better than the RP; I've seen the RP Knot fail. Now that I am practicing with the FG, I am beginning to think it may be better than the Pena.

Just my $0.02.

Retired1 and Cubeye like this.
  9. r8rs4lf

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    However it looks, I was holding the braid tip in my mouth under tension while wrapping the mono around the braid.

10. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    As I understand it, that's the most common way to tie the FG. You end up with +/-20 wraps of braid around the mono, even though you were winding the mono around the braid.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

11. fyermn

fyermn Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    LONG RANGE fishing
    Rodless; That is exactly my question; Holding the braid tightly from the rod(usually holding the other end in your mouth or some other object) you then wrap (weave) the leader material around the braid +/- 15-20 wraps to tie the knot. I have seen it on U-tube, in a few instances, where the leader material is held tightly and the braid is wrapped (weaved) around the leader material +/- 15-20 wraps. I am just trying to make sure that when I tie the knot, I am doing it correctly.

12. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    Hopefully this isn't gonna be viewed as thread jacking ...

Been practicing the FG this past weekend, but the Rizzuto finish isn't working out. Have been going with 5 or 7 wraps, but first set of coils isn't 'uncoiling' when I wrap the loop around the bottom (2nd part of the Rizzuto before pulling loop closed with the tag end).

13. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Hopefully this will make sense. What I do after completing a 16 wrap weave with the leader and spectra is lay the tag end of the spectra over the main spectra line and tag end of the leader, making a two inch loop. I wrap the tag end of the spectra through this loop and around the main spectra line and tag end of the leader (which should be together at this point) towards me five times. Lay the tag end of the spectra against the leader. Pinch the wraps and where they end, begin unwrapping the loop, towards you. You should end up with five wraps at the termination of your spectra/leader wraps and a loose loop. Pull the tag end of the spectra through the five wraps to tighten it down. If this doesn’t make sense, advise and I’ll try to take some pics tomorrow. I’m not home and don’t have any leader or spectra with me.

hot tuna, Cubeye and HoxFish like this.
  14. r8rs4lf

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Salty AF
    Just finish with a couple half hitches. I’ve never had anything go wrong doing it that way. Don’t over complicate it.

Retired1 likes this.
  15. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    Appreciate it. I think I was doing the opposite of this (backwards).

Try#2 - Wrapped 7 times. 80# Maxcuatro and 40# xxx. I really like the feel and profile of this knot. Still way faster to do the RP, but I'll keep practicing to use this on the next trip out.

20180218_232937.jpg 20180218_233052.jpg

16. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    OK, so whether you wind the leader around the tight braid or wrap the braid around the leader, the end result should be braid wraps around the leader. If not, it isn't an FG. There seem to be a few different ways to achieve the result you want. Winding the leader around the tight braid is apparently the most popular way. There are even tools you can buy to help you do it that way.

The Rizzuto or hitches, whichever you prefer, need to be as tight as you can make them, so that the braid wraps will cinch down on the leader, and not slide off. Obviously having your wraps snug helps a lot.

Tying a Rizzuto takes a little practice, but that's more getting your fingers to do it right. If the wraps don't unwind correctly, you are very possibly unwinding in the wrong direction!

17. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes, that's the way to do it. Some YouTube videos show it that way. You have to go thru all of them in order to find one that shows it.

dh515 likes this.
  18. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    That looks right. The advantage of the Rizuto is that it supposedly pulls the opposite direction of the woven portion of the FG, locking the two together. Don’t know about that but for me, the knot comes out straight and clean using it. With half hitches, I always ended up with a little dog leg in the knot. Either way works. As long as it holds enough to get spectra in the woven portion to bite into the leader you should be good.

19. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    s and hoes
    This is how adam sandler does his rizuto

20. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Nice looking knot....did you test it to destruction?.....

The time it takes to tie a knot is not as important to me as reliability and strength....IMO on smaller fish and shorter fights these factors are not as critical and a RP knot may be adequate but in a one or two or three hour fight with a giant YFT the weakest link in your outfit will fail....so I am going to use what I consider the connection which provides the strength and best functioning connection I can use....and right now it is IMO the FG knot.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018