fyermn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
As I understand it, that's the most common way to tie the FG. You end up with +/-20 wraps of braid around the mono, even though you were winding the mono around the braid.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
Rodless; That is exactly my question; Holding the braid tightly from the rod(usually holding the other end in your mouth or some other object) you then wrap (weave) the leader material around the braid +/- 15-20 wraps to tie the knot. I have seen it on U-tube, in a few instances, where the leader material is held tightly and the braid is wrapped (weaved) around the leader material +/- 15-20 wraps. I am just trying to make sure that when I tie the knot, I am doing it correctly.

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
Hopefully this isn't gonna be viewed as thread jacking ...

Been practicing the FG this past weekend, but the Rizzuto finish isn't working out. Have been going with 5 or 7 wraps, but first set of coils isn't 'uncoiling' when I wrap the loop around the bottom (2nd part of the Rizzuto before pulling loop closed with the tag end).

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure

Been practicing the FG this past weekend, but the Rizzuto finish isn't working out. Have been going with 5 or 7 wraps, but first set of coils isn't 'uncoiling' when I wrap the loop around the bottom (2nd part of the Rizzuto before pulling loop closed with the tag end).
Hopefully this will make sense. What I do after completing a 16 wrap weave with the leader and spectra is lay the tag end of the spectra over the main spectra line and tag end of the leader, making a two inch loop. I wrap the tag end of the spectra through this loop and around the main spectra line and tag end of the leader (which should be together at this point) towards me five times. Lay the tag end of the spectra against the leader. Pinch the wraps and where they end, begin unwrapping the loop, towards you. You should end up with five wraps at the termination of your spectra/leader wraps and a loose loop. Pull the tag end of the spectra through the five wraps to tighten it down. If this doesn’t make sense, advise and I’ll try to take some pics tomorrow. I’m not home and don’t have any leader or spectra with me.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF

Just finish with a couple half hitches. I’ve never had anything go wrong doing it that way. Don’t over complicate it.

Reactions: Retired1

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
Jan 17, 2007
A daydream about fish
Name
Aaron
Boat
Moo
Hopefully this will make sense...Pinch the wraps and where they end, begin unwrapping the loop, towards you. You should end up with five wraps at the termination of your spectra/leader wraps and a loose loop. Pull the tag end of the spectra through the five wraps to tighten it down...
Appreciate it. I think I was doing the opposite of this (backwards).

Try#2 - Wrapped 7 times. 80# Maxcuatro and 40# xxx. I really like the feel and profile of this knot. Still way faster to do the RP, but I'll keep practicing to use this on the next trip out.

20180218_232937.jpg 20180218_233052.jpg

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Rodless; That is exactly my question; Holding the braid tightly from the rod(usually holding the other end in your mouth or some other object) you then wrap (weave) the leader material around the braid +/- 15-20 wraps to tie the knot. I have seen it on U-tube, in a few instances, where the leader material is held tightly and the braid is wrapped (weaved) around the leader material +/- 15-20 wraps. I am just trying to make sure that when I tie the knot, I am doing it correctly.
OK, so whether you wind the leader around the tight braid or wrap the braid around the leader, the end result should be braid wraps around the leader. If not, it isn't an FG. There seem to be a few different ways to achieve the result you want. Winding the leader around the tight braid is apparently the most popular way. There are even tools you can buy to help you do it that way.

The Rizzuto or hitches, whichever you prefer, need to be as tight as you can make them, so that the braid wraps will cinch down on the leader, and not slide off. Obviously having your wraps snug helps a lot.

Tying a Rizzuto takes a little practice, but that's more getting your fingers to do it right. If the wraps don't unwind correctly, you are very possibly unwinding in the wrong direction!

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Hopefully this will make sense. What I do after completing a 16 wrap weave with the leader and spectra is lay the tag end of the spectra over the main spectra line and tag end of the leader, making a two inch loop. I wrap the tag end of the spectra through this loop and around the main spectra line and tag end of the leader (which should be together at this point) towards me five times. Lay the tag end of the spectra against the leader. Pinch the wraps and where they end, begin unwrapping the loop, towards you. You should end up with five wraps at the termination of your spectra/leader wraps and a loose loop. Pull the tag end of the spectra through the five wraps to tighten it down. If this doesn’t make sense, advise and I’ll try to take some pics tomorrow. I’m not home and don’t have any leader or spectra with me.
Yes, that's the way to do it. Some YouTube videos show it that way. You have to go thru all of them in order to find one that shows it.

Reactions: dh515

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure

Try#2 - Wrapped 7 times. 80# Maxcuatro and 40# xxx. I really like the feel and profile of this knot. Still way faster to do the RP, but I'll keep practicing to use this on the next trip out.

View attachment 903799 View attachment 903800
That looks right. The advantage of the Rizuto is that it supposedly pulls the opposite direction of the woven portion of the FG, locking the two together. Don’t know about that but for me, the knot comes out straight and clean using it. With half hitches, I always ended up with a little dog leg in the knot. Either way works. As long as it holds enough to get spectra in the woven portion to bite into the leader you should be good.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid

View attachment 903799 View attachment 903800

Nice looking knot....did you test it to destruction?.....

The time it takes to tie a knot is not as important to me as reliability and strength....IMO on smaller fish and shorter fights these factors are not as critical and a RP knot may be adequate but in a one or two or three hour fight with a giant YFT the weakest link in your outfit will fail....so I am going to use what I consider the connection which provides the strength and best functioning connection I can use....and right now it is IMO the FG knot.

Last edited:

speyman

Iron Chucker
Aug 12, 2014
Carnation (Seattle)
Name
jack-e
Boat
Intrepid, Ms Magoo
DT is right on here. A 150 pounder is a lot different than a 6 hour battle with a 312

As soon as i reliably tie the fg i will switch.

BTW, with the guides were are using on our cow rods they both pass through the guides nicely, the RP has one leader diameter extra width, negligible

Reactions: FishCrazy II

Retired1

Fishing n Music
Jun 3, 2017
Las Vegas
Name
Christopher
Boat
Jailbait sold
For the FG knot there is a knot tying tool and you can see it on youtube " knot assit 2.0" it's in Japaneese but the sub titles will help it's easy and uncomplicated

Reactions: Fishybuzz

stephen campbell

aka "Soup"
Jul 7, 2016
oro valley az
Name
Stephen Campbell
Boat
S/V Bluechablis Valiant 40
I have taken my connection advice from Fishybuzz and Basil. As has been mentioned "I pulled really hard with a glove and have fished it for years, never had a failure" is not good enough for many of us. I have pulled my FGs to failure in up to 120#. Also have pulled my 200# served wind ons to 100# ( full failure too scary)Something has always given, but not the FG. Be VERY careful with the heavier test lines, the recoil of the leader at failure can cut you like a fillet knife!!! My vertical test set up allows for me to have a section of garden hose covering the fuloro/mono section of the leader.

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
For the FG knot there is a knot tying tool and you can see it on youtube " knot assit 2.0" it's in Japaneese but the sub titles will help it's easy and uncomplicated
I have a knot assist 2.0 that I’d sell if anyone is interested make me an offer.
I’d have to ship it, but at least it won’t take 6 weeks from Japan. LMK

Goosed10

Jul 12, 2008
Murrieta,Ca
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
How long will the FG knot hold?
Example: If I tied the FG a day or two
before a trip will it still hold its strength?

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
How long will the FG knot hold?
Example: If I tied the FG a day or two
before a trip will it still hold its strength?
It won’t relax on you. If you want to tie it early, you’ll be fine. I tie my long topshots of mono this way for my jig reels. No problem. The one thing with tying short leaders early is the risk of creating a kink in your line which is not optimal. Your leader should be arrow straight. Again, no issue with the FG losing its grip.

Reactions: dh515

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
It won’t relax on you. If you want to tie it early, you’ll be fine. I tie my long topshots of mono this way for my jig reels. No problem. The one thing with tying short leaders early is the risk of creating a kink in your line which is not optimal. Your leader should be arrow straight. Again, no issue with the FG losing its grip.
Chris, you use the Rizzuto finish on yours? I am attempting to get this down and have no problem with the wrapping but it is the sinching up at the end that is giving me fits. Always seem to get the little kink in the knot...

Reactions: HoxFish

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Chris, you use the Rizzuto finish on yours? I am attempting to get this down and have no problem with the wrapping but it is the sinching up at the end that is giving me fits. Always seem to get the little kink in the knot...
I do finish that way...I think a small amount of slight kinking at the very end of the cuff is normal. I also break protocol by adding a drop of Tac Glue to the finish (Rizzuto) knot—not the “active” part of the cuff. It’s never failed me.
For clarification, the kink I was referring to above is that bend you get from the line being under tension from the rod tip to the hook.

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I do finish that way...I think a small amount of slight kinking at the very end of the cuff is normal. I also break protocol by adding a drop of Tac Glue to the finish (Rizzuto) knot—not the “active” part of the cuff. It’s never failed me.
For clarification, the kink I was referring to above is that bend you get from the line being under tension from the rod tip to the hook.
Roger, then maybe I am further along then I thought. Thanks for the tip...

Last edited:
Reactions: T.O.T.W.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Here’s a look at an FG of 80 spectra to 60 fluoro after about 50 minutes of pulling on a 115#-class YFT on the long rod. Slight kinking, but no failure.
Pretty much what all my FG knots look like after a good cinching.

bassfishman

Nov 26, 2005
Fremont
Name
Chip
Boat
19' Ranger Bass Boat
For lower line strength line (say 20 lb) can you use fewer than 20 wraps on the FG Knot?