Best Knot for Braid to Floro or Mono?

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I have seen the FG knot tied two different ways. One is with the floro or mono around the braided line, and the other is the braided line around the floro or mono leader. Is one way better than the other?

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
"I have seen the FG knot tied two different ways. One is with the floro or mono around the braided line, and the other is the braided line around the floro or mono leader. Is one way better than the other?"

Never heard of wrapping the fluoro or mono around the braid. Braid around the mono/fluoro bights into the leader and continues to cinch down. other way around I doubt it would get much purchase.

Curious where you saw leader wrapped over braid?

Last edited:

lasparky11

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
The FG is stronger than the RP or Bob Sands....just sayin...
I know but I haven't had the Bob Sands knot break. I don't use the RP knot, I can tie a Bob Sands just as fast. Personally I think the best thing you can do is learn all 3 until your comfortable & confident using all 3. I only use them on 50# & less, 60# & up I use either a "wind on", crimp, or a couple a nail knots & some TAC glue.
Gene

Reactions: Fishybuzz

$norkle

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
I still tie the Tony Pena knot... Easy to tie can be done in a few minutes and never had a failure with it..
X2. Fishy taught me the Tony Pena and it works every time. I don't doubt that the FG is better, but now that I have a knot that never fails and I'm comfortable with it I'm not about to change-----the joys of getting old---hahaha

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
X2. Fishy taught me the Tony Pena and it works every time. I don't doubt that the FG is better, but now that I have a knot that never fails and I'm comfortable with it I'm not about to change-----the joys of getting old---hahaha

I will teach you the FG in July......both the Pena and FG are excellent knots but IMO the FG has several advantages over the Pena....

This old dog is still trying to learn new tricks..LOL

bkaz

Pharmfisher
Jul 30, 2015
Novato, CA
Name
BKAZ
Boat
None
Used the FG knot this year on all my braid to fluorocarbon connections, and I am happy to say they all held! Had no problems using the RP knot in the past, but since I was going to Lupe with a better grade of tuna, I thought I might need a "stronger" knot. Learned how to tie the FG knot from a YouTube video.

3seas

Sep 22, 2006
Montana
Name
Clint Campbell
Boat
16 ft. Lund
For those of you using the FG knot, are you tying the knot using a single line of braid to the leader material, or have any of you first tied a bimini in the braid and then used the double line to complete the FG connection to the leader?

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
For those of you using the FG knot, are you tying the knot using a single line of braid to the leader material, or have any of you first tied a bimini in the braid and then used the double line to complete the FG connection to the leader?
I use a single line of braid...imo using a double line would not improve the strength of the knot and would only add unnecessary bulk to the knot.

Reactions: Retired1

Abo

Oct 21, 2015
South coast
Name
Mick
Boat
23' Searay
No Bimini, just a straight tie.

Rodless_Jim

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I’m pretty sure the Bimini would be the weak link in that application
I agree with Kerry 100%. A few years ago, someone did some tests on the strength of a bimini twist in spectra and the results were eye-opening. In some cases tying the knot cut line strength below 50% of rated test. If I recall correctly, the best results were using just 20-30 twists, and even then strength fell to 70% of line rating.

The thing is, the enemy of spectra is heat, and the way you tie a bimini can't help but generate significant heat. It is my opinion that if you really need to tie a double in your spectra, a 5-turn surgeon's loop is a much better option. But in the case of an FG, there's no advantage using a doubled line. Seems like it would make the knot much harder to tie, and wouldn't increase the strength at all.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: Retired1

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
"I have seen the FG knot tied two different ways. One is with the floro or mono around the braided line, and the other is the braided line around the floro or mono leader. Is one way better than the other?"

Never heard of wrapping the fluoro or mono around the braid. Braid around the mono/fluoro bights into the leader and continues to cinch down. other way around I doubt it would get much purchase.

Curious where you saw leader wrapped over braid?
What I have seen on videos is holding the braided line from the rod tight,and tying the leader material around the tighten braid line. Another was holding the leader material and tying the braid around it.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Since the braid is already on the reel/pole, I always wrap the leader around the braid. I’ve never done it the other way around.

Would it make a difference?

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
The knot will be much bigger if you wrap the leader around the spectra. Much.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Since the braid is already on the reel/pole, I always wrap the leader around the braid. I’ve never done it the other way around.

Would it make a difference?
Can you show us a picture of the finished knot? I am trying my best to figure out how you can even tie an FG knot with the leader wrapped around the braid. I would think the resistance of the leader material would make doing the wraps almost impossible, and I can't envision how the the braid wouldn't immediately slide through the wraps.

My guess is that you wind the leader around the tight braid, but, as the process is supposed to, you end up with the braid wrapped around the leader.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Can you show us a picture of the finished knot? I am trying my best to figure out how you can even tie an FG knot with the leader wrapped around the braid. I would think the resistance of the leader material would make doing the wraps almost impossible, and I can't envision how the the braid wouldn't immediately slide through the wraps.

My guess is that you wind the leader around the tight braid, but, as the process is supposed to, you end up with the braid wrapped around the leader.
This is the FG VS. RP (modified Albright)
C9F94D93-F1E8-443F-9C92-9F916C301B4F.jpeg

I did this because some people were saying a RP knot would go through the guides better than the FG. I don’t see it!

Not sure exactly if you want to see mono wrapped around braid or vise versa, but like I said, I’ve never wrapped braid around mono.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
This is the FG VS. RP (modified Albright)
View attachment 903583

I did this because some people were saying a RP knot would go through the guides better than the FG. I don’t see it!

Not sure exactly if you want to see mono wrapped around braid or vise versa, but like I said, I’ve never wrapped braid around mono.
Well, we're obviously talking at cross purposes here. In the photo you posted, I see the braid wrapped around the mono in both knots. I say that because the mono is inside the braid.

Anyway, thank you for the photo. I personally believe that the FG is not only much stronger than the RP, but also that it is slimmer, and will go through the guides better.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retired1 and Juanba

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
This isn't a great picture, but it illustrates what I envision when I think of the mono wrapped around the braid. It's a Bristol Knot, similar to what was called on the San Diego boats a "Worm Knot." It used to be considered one of the best choices for connecting braid to leader, but has fallen out of favor for a couple of reasons.

As I said previously, I have been using the Pena Knot for more than 10 years (switched from using the Worm Knot!), and have never had a failure. I think it is better than the RP; I've seen the RP Knot fail. Now that I am practicing with the FG, I am beginning to think it may be better than the Pena.

Just my $0.02.

Reactions: Retired1 and Cubeye

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Well, we're obviously talking at cross purposes here. In the photo you posted, I see the braid wrapped around the mono in both knots. I say that because the mono is inside the braid.
However it looks, I was holding the braid tip in my mouth under tension while wrapping the mono around the braid.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
However it looks, I was holding the braid tip in my mouth under tension while wrapping the mono around the braid.
As I understand it, that's the most common way to tie the FG. You end up with +/-20 wraps of braid around the mono, even though you were winding the mono around the braid.

Sorry if I misunderstood.