Best Knot for Braid to Floro or Mono?

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I ahven't going out fishing for a couple of years now, and I an going on an 8 day trip in Mid-June on the Intrepid. Knots keep advancing, so I am looking on the internet for the best and easiest knot to connect braided line to floro or mono leader. Someone told me to look at the FG knot because it is easy to tie and is a strong knot. I am looking for opinions and answers on what knot you might use for the connection.

Reactions: Retired1

jackpotjoe

Addicted to susi
May 5, 2006
San Diego
www.californiacarpetpros.com
Name
Joe Page
Boat
Kayak
I ahven't going out fishing for a couple of years now, and I an going on an 8 day trip in Mid-June on the Intrepid. Knots keep advancing, so I am looking on the internet for the best and easiest knot to connect braided line to floro or mono leader. Someone told me to look at the FG knot because it is easy to tie and is a strong knot. I am looking for opinions and answers on what knot you might use for the connection.
You will have plenty of time and advice when you get on the boat. Good luck

DC61

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Do a youtube search for the FG know. I am completely sold on it. Others will recommend additional options. Bottom line: Learn one know you are comfortable with and be able to tie it by yourself. Whatever you decide stick to it.

Reactions: widgeon and RichG

lasparky11

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
I use the FG knot when I have the time to tie it. When your in the middle of hot bite & the boat is rocking a RP or Bob Sands is just as strong & lot faster. Learn to tie all 3 practice practice practice.

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
FG knot if going through guides.

Albright, modified Albright and whatever the hell you want to call it if not going through guides.

LEGALWISE

Nov 17, 2011
VALENCIA,CA
Name
DON KLAHS
Boat
INDEPENDANCE
Tie the knots everyone tells you are the best, use 40 or 50 pound line, then pull on each one and see which one breaks last or at all. Just because it’s someone’s favorite knot means nothing.
Or, forget knots. Go to hollow spectra and a loop to loop connection to your fluorocarbon or mono. Loop to loop never, ever breaks and your only knot is to your hook. Use a good knot there and you are golden.
Most importantly, enjoy the heck out of your eight day trip!

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Best is subjective. Some are very good and some are even better but are also very tricky to tie. Some are easier and work pretty well and might not be the absolute “best” but work well. Start with a Bob Sands, Pena or Modified Albright. Any of those tied right will get the job done. Plenty of big fish have been killed with them, they are strong. They tend to get hung up in their guides on casting so either keep your top shot long and the knot won’t get cast through the guide or keep the topshot short and it will be on the outside of the guide. One you are comfortable with those and you desire more performance from the knot learn hollow connections or learn a slim knot like the FG.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I use the FG knot when I have the time to tie it. When your in the middle of hot bite & the boat is rocking a RP or Bob Sands is just as strong & lot faster. Learn to tie all 3 practice practice practice.

The FG is stronger than the RP or Bob Sands....just sayin...

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Tie the knots everyone tells you are the best, use 40 or 50 pound line, then pull on each one and see which one breaks last or at all. Just because it’s someone’s favorite knot means nothing.
Or, forget knots. Go to hollow spectra and a loop to loop connection to your fluorocarbon or mono. Loop to loop never, ever breaks and your only knot is to your hook. Use a good knot there and you are golden.
Most importantly, enjoy the heck out of your eight day trip!
Interested in the loop to loop connection. Can you elaborate? PM if need be so no hijack.

speyman

Iron Chucker
Aug 12, 2014
Carnation (Seattle)
Name
jack-e
Boat
Intrepid, Ms Magoo
i watched a lot of big tuna come over the rail on the Soft Steel trip on fg knots. Just as many on johnny bradfords server wind ons That said all on my fish on 100 and 130 were on john collins. My only failures were spectra breaking far from any knot..........

For me i know that i know how to tie the collins and i know how to cinch it up and tell if it is right, all in under 3 minutes with no tools save one line puller.

FishAcquisition

Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
As mentioned it is subjective, a knot you know you can tie perfectly every time is in my mind the “Best” for you. Something you can do 100% and goes through the guides, that is your knot. FG if you can do it every time, I can’t tie it at night so it is not for me, yet technically it likely is the best knot.

DC61

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
I do not agree with the advice to let the deck hands tie it for you. The guys are always willing to help during the slow times, but as several newbies have learned, during a hot bite they will be left watching the action with spectra in one hand and flurocarbon in the other if they are relying on the deck hands to tie all of their connections.

Again, pick one method, learn it well and stick with it. I learned the FG knot on a trip last year and have never looked back. I can tie it in a couple of minutes and have complete confidence with it.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I’m very surprised to see people using the FG knot up to 130#. I would have thought there would be something stronger for that line test. I love it because I can tie an FG well.

Let em eat 74

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
The is only two things I would add to any of this (all good advice that works).

Cinch your knot and then try to break it on the boat. If it slips, is tied incorrectly, or you just have a bad spot, you want it to break on the boat and not in the water on a possible trophy. I put my hook on something real solid and pull like hell on both my connection knot and my hook knot at the same time. This also helps to get rid of the slinky effect and straighten your topshot as an added bonus.

Second choose a length of topshot to keep the knot out of the guides at the final moments at gaff range. I’ve seen a knot fail because is was under major tension and the back and forth over a guide made the knot come loose.

DC61

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
Kevin gives good advice about pulling hard on the knot. This is good advice for any and all knots. I have modified the Rizutto end to add 7 wraps instead of 5. I found that if I didn't pull the Rizutto really tight it tended to loosen up. I tried a dab of TAC glue. It seemed to work, but I found that it created a nub that caught my fellow anglers' spectra when I reeled in amongst a bunch of other lines.

I found the 7 wrap Rizzuto and pulling it really tight to be my best solution. Your mileage may vary. BTW, Fishy scolded me when I told him about using TAC glue.....

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Kevin gives good advice about pulling hard on the knot. This is good advice for any and all knots. I have modified the Rizutto end to add 7 wraps instead of 5. I found that if I didn't pull the Rizutto really tight it tended to loosen up. I tried a dab of TAC glue. It seemed to work, but I found that it created a nub that caught my fellow anglers' spectra when I reeled in amongst a bunch of other lines.

I found the 7 wrap Rizzuto and pulling it really tight to be my best solution. Your mileage may vary. BTW, Fishy scolded me when I told him about using TAC glue.....
Definitely don't want to glue anything but the tag end, if at all, since the knot will continue to cinch the harder you pull on it. If you glue the whole knot it turns into a rigid sleeve that can pull off the leader.

I just got off a 14 day trip and while I did not hook a cow I did pull like heck on a few fish using the FG knot. I now use it on everything from 60 mono to 100 fluoro. After the fist fish I did not give the connection a second thought.

As stated the key is practice whatever you go with until it is second nature and pull on it with your reel set at strike or above. I had no trouble tying it without my glasses regardless of conditions. Just have to calm your mind a little if there is a hot bite and you are trying to get back in the game quickly. Good practice for a lot of what life throws at you.

I hope the OP is actually reading this.

Last edited:

Rocco F.

Sep 5, 2017
SF Bay Area
Name
Rocco
Boat
The neighbors
as always lots of good advice here its not a new subject but i think always good to revisit...i tie FG, RP and double UNI in that order depending on how wet, cold, tired, dark it is...i think alot of guys including myself are using wind ons with the heavier flouro...i also practice not only in my garage but when i'm out surf fishing or on the skiff, its always a little harder out in the elements when everything is moving so practice practice practice.

Reactions: FishAcquisition