Dexter Outdoors

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
I am going on a 7 day trip on June 26th. I imagine wee may stop either on the way South or on the way back North to fish for Bluefin. What particular hours do the Bluefin bite the best? From what I read, it is usually in the night time or very early morning, I guess that means night fishing. Since I am an OLD Man, when should I be fishing without overtiring myself?

Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Did a 3 day and did not sleep for a chunk of time but instead set timer for 1 hour to 2 hour intervals. It took a toll and I recovered days after the trip. The fish were biting 24 hours a day but at a pick rate.

Better question would be what do the BF want to eat during your trip and if you have what they want. This was the first shorter trip in a while for me as I do 6 or more days usually.

I am leaving WEd aM on a 7 day trip myself and I like longer trips as you have more time to fish and don't feel that urge to fish forever day and night.

Issue is: down south there are yellowtail going off for your trip and you will either hit the bluefin on the way down or the way back. ----- and you will still have the 24/7 bite going on. So get your sleep while down south.

Be ready to fish that same night that you leave SD. Different things were working at different hours of the day. It has already changed from what was happening when I was last out.

So have:
flatfalls - sucked for me
Diawa SK jigs worked great ( I had none)
sinker rig worked for me ( 110+ lb BF)
No flyline then
in the late PM chrome jigs that were smaller worked ( 6x JR got biggest BF at 170 lb)

lately I hear of knife jigs.

BEst advice is to sleep and try to have a buddy or a deck hand to bang on your door when they start to bite well

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

• Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat
    North River
    If you try to figure this fish out you will go crazy. They bite all hours of day and night. Find the right school that wants to bite is the most important. Fish hard and pay close attention to those who are getting bit. Also never hurts to try something different. A stealthy 30 lb setup is a must.

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Right now it seems like it’s a 24 hr round the the clock deal ...
    I’d fish the dark and take breaks throughout the day depending on the action on the deck and what the capt is seeing !!!

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    I've been thinking about the same thing. In my younger years I would grind hard all day/night. These days, I just don't want to work that hard. it's a vacation, and I've decided that from now on the fishing stops when it starts seeming too much like work. Productive rail time, sure. But I look at it as making the most of my fishing time and then relaxing when I feel like it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Pangamaster
    Upvote 0

egarratt

• Aug 11, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Eddie G
    Boat
    None
    Fish night if you want a trophy, Sleep midday when the longer plunk bites are happenning.

I plan all always fishing unless things get slow during day with cat naps.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    It is really hard to predict when they will bite. My best advice is to load up on rest the day before getting to the bluefin zone if you can. Then, use all the time spent motoring and looking for the bluefin to lie down in your bunk. When the motors stop, get up and join the fun. Then repeat the process over and over till you find a school that wants to bite. 😀

Upvote 0

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
    Sep 10, 2017
    minnesota
    Name
    Joseph Koep
    Boat
    American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
    While I am no expert it seems to vary.

Last year we left on a 10 day went south at that time it was a daytime bite for giants almost all on the kite and some smaller grade on the sinker rig.

We went south first part of the trip, by the time we got back to the bluefin grounds it was a nighttime bight on flat falls. Very few caught during the day even on the kite,