Best gas trolling motor?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by big dog62, Mar 30, 2016.

1. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Need a little help guys, I have a 14' Westcoaster widebody, welded aluminum that I would like to hang a good gas trolling motor on. The boat will be used exclusively on a high mountain lake, the motor will be the only one on the boat. My wants; quiet, easy start, self contained, must troll down to 1mi per hr, for long periods . The boat will remain in the lake all summer, so I am not concerned with long treks to launch areas. In fact, a top speed of 6, 8mi per hr is ok. Any recomendations, brands, size? Thank you

2. Knotsea1957

Knotsea1957 Captain/100 Ton Master

Name:
    Fred Leinweber
    Boat:
    23FT PANGA

I have the same boat and just put a 20hp Suzuki electric start EFI and i use it at Lake Crowley wich is 7000ft or higher and i can troll down to 1.7mph all day long and get 20mph top speed . Best price is Boats.net in Florida but it takes a mounth to get it if your not in a hurry

big dog62 likes this.
  3. ondarvr

ondarvr Floating away

Name:
    Jody Wyse
    Boat:
    Blue Wave
    What does "self contained' mean?

The best is a Yamaha T9.9, athough for this boat the regular 8 or 9.9 would work well too. With the correct prop you will be able to troll as slow as you want.

You won't go anywhere fast, but they are smooth, quiet, sip gas and are very reliable.

big dog62 likes this.
  4. big dog62

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to an internal fuel tank atop the motor so I wouldn't need the external tank and hose, but not a deal breaker.

I think I still want to go smaller, maybe 6hp? Thanks, I'll have to check out the Yamaha

5. ondarvr

ondarvr Floating away

Name:
    Jody Wyse
    Boat:
    Blue Wave
    There are no current 6hp or smaller models that qualify as even a good kicker, all the current ones are single cylinder 4 strokes, they are louder and tend to vibrate so much that it can become very irritating after just a short period of time.

There are several older 8hp and smaller two cylinder motors that work well, Merc, Evinrude and Yamaha all had them. All but a couple of these require a remote tank.

6. big dog62

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    I did not know this. So even the new smaller single cylinder, 4 stroke motors, are louder and vibrate? Again, this will be the only motor on the boat, but will seldom do anything but troll 1 to 2mi per hr.

Wanted to keep it light, but maybe I'II have to beef up a bit.

7. cksea

cksea <*}}}<

Name:
    CKSEA
    Boat:
    PORTA
    you can prop any size motor down to do 1mph. If you are not getting on plane a 2hp motor will push you almost as fast as an 8hp. my guess is you will need about 10hp min to plane that boat.

8. Knotsea1957

Name:
    Fred Leinweber
    Boat:
    23FT PANGA

I also have a Tohatsu 5HP and it runs good but it vibrates alot that i had on the same boat before the 20 HP The larger motor is better hands down you can drop your pitch on prop also How high are you fishing ?

9. big dog62

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Damn, that was one I was looking at, well, the 6hp anyway. I'm at about 5,500' in elevation.

10. Knotsea1957

Name:
    Fred Leinweber
    Boat:
    23FT PANGA
    Its not that bad you will get more shaking at lower idle with the smaller motor but it wont rattle your teeth out by no means . I use it now on my inflatable its not as bad I guess because its a rubber boat but I ran that 5hp on my aluminum for years and it worked great . I would not hesitate putting that motor on your boat

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016