Best free spool which Okuma ?

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat
N/A
Which of these two Okuma reels have the best free spool for casting a sardine on a UC 7’6” Predator or/an 8’ Terminator spooled with 40-50# fluorocarbon? My …
Makaria MK 10 2-speed or my Cavalla 12-II ? … I’m thinking about putting my Cavalla 12 on the 8’ Terminator if if casts better…
You know … a better free spool with 40# mono ? Since the Terminator will handle lighter line better… and it’s an 8 footer …

I’m not 100% sure if I should put the Cavalla 12 on the 7’6” Predator with 50# and the MK 10 on the 8’ Terminator with 40# ?
As of now this is my plan … BUT ? I need some opinions …

Both my Predator and Terminator … I’ve turned them into light weight hokey-pokey rail rods with an 18” for grip… they’re great !

I’ve been fishing my Penn Fathom 25N with 30# on an 8’ Del-Mar … it casts almost too good … it’s my 15-20# rat 🐀 Tuna 🐟 killer.

But when the grade of fish get in that 40#-80#++ class of 🐟 I’ve been switching to my Calstar 775XXH with a MK16II …
And/Or my … UC CX80 Raptor fitted with a Penn Fathom 40N …

I’m set for bigger stuff … got a Viper with a MK 50 (130#) and a Centaur with a MK 20 (100#) … for when the big boys get stupid …

Opinions on the Cavalla or MK10 … best free spool and casting a sardine ?

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Opinions on the Cavalla or MK10 … best free spool and casting a sardine ?

In theory, the Mak10SEa with TSI lubed bearings. Go find a body of water to test them. Maybe your casting style will favor one over the other.

Assuming no other rod/reel options, I'd put the Cavalla12 on the US76Pred and Mak10 on the GP80Term. JMHO.

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    Thanks … you reinsured me of what I was going to do…
    I’ve casted with the MK10 and it’s pretty smooth …
    It’s an amazing little reel …
    I’m trying to get a “Handle” on my new smaller reels …
    Between my Dad (now deceased) and I … we had 8 of the older style Newell’s with the red stripe down the handles and a couple of the older reels with the metal bars … I’ve sold everyone on eBay this year … it’s just to hard to find parts… drag washer stuff mainly … as well as my older wahoo narrow Trinidad’s …
    You guys in Hawaii have fun !
    I have two single speed star drag Accurate's … a 500 and a 600N Tern… wahoo stuff … but I’ll be damned if I’m going to hang another 100# tuna on one if I don’t have too …
    Thanks again…

Upvote 0