wa_docholliday

doc holliday
Jul 11, 2013
Lynnwood,wa
Name
Ryan Holliday
Boat
doc holliday
i know I’ve seen posts before but looking for a high quality food sealer. What are my options? And what is retorting ? Thanks

Upvote 0

robodad

BullShitoligest
Mar 5, 2012
Port Angeles
Name
Allen
Boat
26' Olympic XLF
Ordinarily if you eat spicy food or with a lot of onion you end up torting now and then but if you eat at taco Bell you wind up retorting over and over for a couple days and I don't recommend going fishing until the retorting subsides as it weakens your gasket and no one wants to blow a gasket !

Upvote 0

Tyestick

May 30, 2012
Olympia, WA
Name
Tye
Boat
GW 232 - King Tyed
Purchased a Vacmaster VP215 last year and have not looked back. Price tag is high but I can say it has been worth it so far.

Reactions: Emz
Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
What's you budget and how often do you use it? If you get out a couple times a year, then anything in the $150 range will be fine. Plan on replacing it every 3 years or so. If you are going to use it a lot, then get a vac master (around $850). That is what I have and absolutely love it. Place is also a consideration. The vac master is heavy and large. It does not get moved from the counter.

The vac master will run forever. The bags are super cheap compared to the rolls.

Upvote 0

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
I have the VP 215 and has been great on everything but my back! Take it to Neah and make sure have a buddy help move it.

I love that the bags are so affordable!

I saw something from Benjamin that he uses a make/model even better than the VP.

Upvote 0

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
I have the VP 215 and has been great on everything but my back! Take it to Neah and make sure have a buddy help move it.

I love that the bags are so affordable!

I saw something from Benjamin that he uses a make/model even better than the VP.
Haha no kidding. We were unloading a buddies truck at La Push and he’s like “the only thing left is the vac packer.” I was like I’ll get it (thinking a food saver)...... little did I know that sucker was 100 pounds and a VP 215. My tip money is going towards the purchase of this machine. It’s a beast and the bags itself pay for it in one seasons use if you catch a lot of fish.

Food saver packs $25/30$ a box X 10 boxes a season is almost the price of the quality VP machines.

Upvote 0

robodad

BullShitoligest
Mar 5, 2012
Port Angeles
Name
Allen
Boat
26' Olympic XLF
And what is retorting ?

Ok seriously. The retort bags allow you to pkg your fish in bags and then can them right in the bags so it eliminates the need for jars and also allows you to keep the fish in the shelf rather then in the freezer once it's canned !

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
For me, I use a high end food saver, mine will do 100 consecutive seals without overheating. I have had it for 6 years now, but they don’t make that exact model anymore. It isn’t overly compact but it is easy to get out, use and put away. So we take it with us in the motorhome or wherever. Yup, the rolls aren’t cheap, I spend about 100$ a year. But my fish lasts a couple years in a deep freeze.

Yup we also can in jars and they last on a shelf at room temp indefinitely, at least we have yet to have one go bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: NW-Quackhead
Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I am sure the VP is awesome but I don't see how it can be cheaper than my $50 Foodsaver which is going on six years. If retort is your goal then you gotta spend the $. Foodsaver bags are spendy. I switched to Amazon knockoffs and spend $30 a year for 200 precut 8X12 bags which makes life so much easier than cutting off a roll. I probably use 150 bags a season.

Amazon product

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
May 9, 2010
North of Kali!
Name
Dave
Boat
3 and counting!
Ordinarily if you eat spicy food or with a lot of onion you end up torting now and then but if you eat at taco Bell you wind up retorting over and over for a couple days and I don't recommend going fishing until the retorting subsides as it weakens your gasket and no one wants to blow a gasket !

Thank you Allen, I needed that this morning!

Ducker!

Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    VacMaster. Well worth the money and preserves your food. I leave mine in our utility room so we can use it freely. I vacuum pack everything; tuna, meat, clams, berries, veggies, prepared meals.

Upvote 0

Fireball

Not so New
    Jun 23, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA. USA
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    SOLD
    So the big difference on the VP 215 and the food savers is the VP 215 is a chamber sealer versus a vacuum sealer. That is were the money comes in. In the chamber sealer you can pack water with out sucking it in to the machine. Where if you do soup-steaks-any type of liquid items with the food saver you want to freeze them first so you do not get the liquid in to the unit. A chamber sealer you do not have this issue.

The VP 215 I had was not strong enough to seal retort bags so I ended up buying another unit and selling the VP 215.

Pictures are retort bags,
    20150815_164205.jpg

20150815_172004.jpg

Good Luck with your purchase.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

jasper hickman

Team RED BEARD
    Dec 23, 2014
    Everett
    Name
    jasper
    Boat
    30’ Osprey
    I am sure the VP is awesome but I don't see how it can be cheaper than my $50 Foodsaver which is going on six years. If retort is your goal then you gotta spend the $. Foodsaver bags are spendy. I switched to Amazon knockoffs and spend $30 a year for 200 precut 8X12 bags which makes life so much easier than cutting off a roll. I probably use 150 bags a season.

Amazon product

I bought a giant pile of those amazon bags only to find they don’t work for crap with the Westin pro vac sealer I have. It seems to like the Westin bags the best.

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
    Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours

Amazon product
    Ooh, cheap! I’m going to have to try those!

Upvote 0

TonyG

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 19, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    Took some advice from a couple on this board - Benjamin in particular. I bought one of these this spring from Thom: Minipack MVS 26. I love it. I didn't buy it to save money on bags compared to my string of foodsaver models. I bought it because it does a ton better job and you can get much heavier bags and/or retort bags.

A key reason I went with this model was for the large chamber. I decided against the vacmaster options after I saw that Thom had a huge pile of them that were in for repairs.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    The best available in 120v machine's. Take it from the guy who worked in a meat plant with lots of packaging.
    These ROCK, but not cheap, but last 1 you will buy.

Upvote 0

Waterdog247

Dive-a-holic
    Aug 12, 2010
    Ilwaco
    Name
    Jaime
    Boat
    29' Silver Streak
    I upgraded my VP112 with a VP 210. Doing my first test batch of retorts now. The test run of seals came out perfect. Will let you know in 3 hours how they came out!

DC607052-D779-4B9B-8120-A3CD3A9156FB.jpeg B3007407-1E14-496C-B5F7-4B167A19A124.jpeg 13C31116-B9F5-4338-851E-47A7D2A12840.jpeg

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    Other than it sounds like a space ship taking off and docking, I was waiting for what makes it worth that level of investment. I was expecting a closeup of a very tightly packed and sealed bad—only got far away shots.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    My Cabela's cg 15..a Weston product, has been sealing strong for over 15 years.. general maintenance is all..no seal leak issues and fresh freezer food everytime.. haven't got the retort bug yet, I still like my pressure canner and good old jars.

Upvote 0

Deviant

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 8, 2010
    WA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Arima SeaRanger 19
    Just did an oil change (1st in 6 years) today on my VP215.
    Hasn’t skipped a beat!

Reactions: Emz
    Upvote 0

Salmonater

Oct 10, 2008
    Tacoma,Wa US
    Name
    Jeff Norwood
    Boat
    31' North River Walkaround, Salmonater
    Took some advice from a couple on this board - Benjamin in particular. I bought one of these this spring from Thom: Minipack MVS 26. I love it. I didn't buy it to save money on bags compared to my string of foodsaver models. I bought it because it does a ton better job and you can get much heavier bags and/or retort bags.

A key reason I went with this model was for the large chamber. I decided against the vacmaster options after I saw that Thom had a huge pile of them that were in for repairs.

The Vacmaster VP215 is far from bullet proof, and probably won't last a lifetime as some have alluded too, also I don't believe the the newer ones have a sealer bar that will do retort bags. They are made in China and mine started going south with fairly heavy use, after 2 years. I traded mine in for a Minipack MVS 26, 4 years ago and have ran 1000's of bags thru it. If your serious about a " High Quality food sealer" as you stated above, there are better choices than the VP 215. The quality of fish after a year is better in my opinion with the minipack.

Upvote 0