Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
Hi all,
My first post on BD. I also recently purchased my first boat. Im working on getting all the accessories to make it a fish slaying machine. My boat came with a raymarine C70 . Im not really familiar with fish finders and what to look for in them. I've been looking at the Garmin striker, humming bird helix, and the Raymarine Dragon fly which is my current first choice. Any advice on what would be best for offshore or and island fishing and why would be really helpful. Thanks in advance for the info

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
New? Overall IMO, best bang for the buck value is the Dragonfly Pro 7. Get it with Navionics+. Used? Plenty of guys selling complete units here, you may even get a bronze transducer included in their package. If, not the bronze thru hull option is available through RayMarine also. But that C70 ain't no slouch either...

PS- Welcome to BD and it's serious and funny madness. Proceed with caution...

Jun 4, 2017
hesperia
Name
aaron
Boat
none yet
New? Overall IMO, best bang for the buck value is the Dragonfly Pro 7. Get it with Navionics+. Used? Plenty of guys selling complete units here, you may even get a bronze transducer included in their package. If, not the bronze thru hull option is available through RayMarine also. But that C70 ain't no slouch either...

PS- Welcome to BD and it's serious and funny madness. Proceed with caution...

thanks for the reply. And as far as new or used Im not concerned as long as its newer technology. but ill definitely search for a used one on BD , I didn't think of that. I havnt explored all of the different forums yet. I havnt even tried the C70 yet because I barely purchased my boat a week ago. Ive just been seeing all of these sweet, large screen, super colorful fishfinders and I feel like I need any and everything I see for my boat. And just curious I tried to research a bit before asking, but bronze transducer to prevent rust? and thanks for the info and the welcoming/warning :)

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
thanks for the reply. And as far as new or used Im not concerned as long as its newer technology. but ill definitely search for a used one on BD , I didn't think of that. I havnt explored all of the different forums yet. I havnt even tried the C70 yet because I barely purchased my boat a week ago. Ive just been seeing all of these sweet, large screen, super colorful fishfinders and I feel like I need any and everything I see for my boat. And just curious I tried to research a bit before asking, but bronze transducer to prevent rust? and thanks for the info and the welcoming/warning :)

Those large colorful FFers are a little out of your budget! :D

CHIRP is the new standard but I suggest seeing what you have now and learning how to use it while you research your upgrade. Used when possible is a good way to be cost effective. Is there a black box FF hooked up to your C70? If so which one? Also what transducer do you have? Usually there is a tag on the able - often near the transducer itself. Some of those boxes are pretty good especially with the right transducer. Bronze is generally the metal of choice for underwater fittings due to its corrosion resistance.

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
Mar 19, 2008
Insane Diego, CA
Name
Randy
Boat
30' Kona Star
Best fish finder under $500 ???

animal-earth-red-worms-fishing-isolated-white-background-60345633.jpg